Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Wraps are surprisingly easy to make, and they’re SO delicious! They are the perfect appetizer or addition to any picnic or bbq. Serve these wraps warm with a side of coleslaw.
I’m always trying new recipes and I wanted to share this vegan BBQ jackfruit wraps recipe because it’s a great alternative for anyone looking for vegetarian, vegan, or paleo recipes. I love that the jackfruit tastes similar to pulled pork and it’s healthier than meat.
Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Wraps are a quick and simple idea for summer. They’re light, healthy, and super tasty. These Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Wraps are so delicious, that they’ll fool even the biggest carnivore.
Jackfruit simmered with bbq sauce and seasoned to perfection. Wrap it up with tortillas spread with homemade garlic aioli sauce, and top with lettuce, tomato, onion, and avocado for an unforgettable flavor explosion. I hope you like these wraps as much as we did!
Also, see Vegan Jackfruit Stew, Jackfruit Carnitas and BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches.
I love this Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Wraps recipe, made with green jackfruit. I love how versatile green jackfruit is, you can create many delicious recipes from it. Like my Instant Pot Jackfruit and Potato Curry, Jackfruit Tacos, and Jackfruit Stew. If you haven’t tried it yet, I encourage you to dive in and enjoy these amazing recipes.
I have been cooking with green jackfruit long before it became popular here in the USA, I discovered it in the frozen aisle and on the shelves of Indian supermarkets in New Jersey 15 years ago and the easiest thing for me to have done with it was to add it to curries back then. I loved it so much that I have 2 recipes in my Cookbook.
Recipe’s Appealing Features!
- The dish is easy to make and can be put together with just a few ingredients, making it an ideal recipe for the average family to try out at thanksgiving or the summer barbecue.
- This recipe takes only a few minutes to prepare and is sure to impress your guests!
- These delectable vegan BBQ jackfruit wraps are nutritious because of the abundance of colorful and savory vegetables! This is a dish that is high in vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- This recipe is oil-free and can be made in a slow cooker for an added level of convenience.
- You can change up the ingredients, filling, and tortillas to make these vegan wraps your own way! The possibilities are endless when it comes to what you can put in them.
- This simple vegan BBQ jackfruit wrap dish is perfect for the whole family! It’s also an excellent method to get a lot of extra vegetables into your child’s diet. They’re fast, delicious, and kid-friendly, making a great option for a kid-friendly dinner.
- The other great part of this dish is that, depending on your level of ambition, you can make a large portion of it ahead of time or even utilize store-bought ingredients.
Everything you’ll need to make these tasty Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Wraps is listed below:
- Green Jackfruit: Jackfruit is the main ingredient in this dish. I prefer canned ones because they are simple to assemble and are readily available. Get the green jackfruit. Do not use ripe jackfruit or the one in syrup.
- Onion Powder: The addition of onion powder to the jackfruit will give it a more savory flavor.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder gives the jackfruit a richer flavor. It has a strong, savory flavor.
- Vegetable Broth: You can use any broth you have on hand and even make your own with vegetable peelings.
- Barbecue sauce: You can use your favorite store-bought or homemade sauce.
- Salt to taste: A pinch of salt will help to balance the flavors.
- Tortillas: Tortillas are flatbreads made of all-purpose flour, wheat flour, or cornflour. Tortillas can be simply manufactured at home or purchased ready-made at the grocery store. These light flatbreads serve as a base for a variety of fillings. To make this recipe, I used gluten-free tortillas.
- Romaine lettuce: You can substitute iceberg lettuce, which has a milder flavor but is crisp like romaine. OR, for a softer but tasty alternative, use butterhead lettuce.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes give color to the dish. They also bring in a tangy taste to the dish.
- Red Onions: Wraps with red onions are delicious. Simply finely slice them and you’re ready to go.
- Avocado: Peeled, pitted, and sliced
- Garlic aioli sauce, recipe below
Garlic Aioli Sauce
- Vegan mayonnaise: It is a dairy-free alternative to regular mayonnaise. It’s also creamy. The only thing missing is the egg yolks. Vegan mayonnaise is available from several brands and is both convenient and flavorful. As a result, pick the one you adore the best.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice gives the sauce a citrusy flavor.
- Crushed garlic: Garlic adds a punch and depth to the sauce.
- Salt: Add salt to the sauce to make it taste perfect.
How To Make Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Wraps?
To make this BBQ Jackfruit wrap is super easy but the taste is so amazing. I start by cooking the jackfruit in barbecue sauce. You can use your favorite store-bought kind or try my Barbecue Sauce, I then make an aioli sauce with vegan mayo, crushed garlic, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. That’s basically it.
Make your own homemade Gluten-Free Wraps or you can purchase my favorite store-bought gluten-free wraps.
I heated tortillas until soft and laid each tortilla on a cutting board, spread the tortilla with garlic aioli sauce, and topped it with lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, and BBQ jackfruit.
Then I wrapped the tortilla into a burrito shape and sliced it in the middle.
Serve with fresh cilantro, spicy sauce, guacamole, and salsa are some of the toppings and sides. These wraps are great with refried beans, salads, soups, and so much more.
Meal Prep And Storage:
Our jackfruit wraps are great for meal prep. Make each component of the dish, let it cool, and refrigerate it until you’re ready to make the wrap. When you’re ready, you can assemble the wrap. Just make sure they’re in airtight containers.
- You can make this wrap even healthier by adding even more healthy ingredients. Cucumber, cabbage, and peppers go great with jackfruit wraps. Just take care not to overfill the wrap or it will be difficult to seal!
- You can replace tortillas with lettuce wraps.
- You can also serve this BBQ jackfruit filling on buns or over-baked potatoes or rice. The possibilities are endless.
- I usually make mine with just a little bit of spice, but feel free to add more if you like it hot!
Other Amazing Vegan Wraps To Try
Frequently Asked Questions:
How To Store And Freeze Pulled Jackfruit?
BBQ pulled jackfruit can be stored in an airtight box in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, then reheated in the microwave or on the stove.
This recipe is also freezer-friendly. It can be refrigerated for up to three months and reheated on the stove until thoroughly thawed and warmed.
What Exactly Is Jackfruit?
If you haven’t heard of jackfruit before, it is a fruit. The jackfruit is a huge fruit native to India that belongs to the mulberry, fig, and breadfruit family. Asian cuisine makes use of both ripe and unripe fruit. When it’s young and unripe, it’s not sweet but almost tasteless. Because of its shredded texture, it will taste extremely close to actual pulled pork when tossed with seasonings and BBQ sauce. You may buy canned young green jackfruit in syrup or brine, but for this recipe, use the brined variety.
What Is The Taste Of Jackfruit?
Ripe jackfruit has a completely different flavor and texture than immature jackfruit.
Green jackfruit is similar in texture and flavor to chicken and pig when it’s unripe or underdeveloped. As a result, it can be considered a Superfood meat replacement.
The ripe ones have a sweet, chewy, and tropical smell and taste. It may be a mix of mango, banana, and pineapple.
Where Can I Find Jackfruit?
If you live in America, Europe, or Australia, you can buy fresh jackfruit in Asian markets or even in the produce section of supermarkets, or you may buy canned jackfruit packed with water or brine. So keep an eye on the canned food section. In the refrigerated department, they’re also available in pouches.
Which Jackfruit Is The Best To Buy?
If you’re cooking a savory meal, it’s always better to purchase young jackfruit packed in water or brine. A 500g tin normally costs roughly £1.20 in large stores. Don’t buy jackfruit that has been soaked in syrup! Fully matured jackfruit, similar to mango, is used in sweets and is typically available in syrup in a can.
Is Canned Jackfruit Healthy?
Jackfruit can be a nutritious addition to your diet due to its high concentration of vitamins and minerals. They are low in calories and fat, and high in fiber. Jackfruit contains 3 grams of fiber per serving. Jackfruit is also high in antioxidants. Also, See Are Canned Foods Bad For You?
Antioxidants protect your cells against oxidative stress & inflammation, which are often the result of free radical damage.
The following is a list of the most prevalent antioxidants in jackfruit:
- Carotenoids: Carotenoids have been found to lessen inflammation and the risk of chronic diseases like type heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
- Vitamin C: Jackfruit is strong in vitamin C, which could help in the prevention of inflammation, which can help to prevent chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
- Flavanones: Flavanones have anti-inflammatory effects that may aid in lower blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels, all of which are important factors in preventing heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
There are a number of potential health benefits associated with jackfruit that have yet to be studied.
- Heart Disease: Jackfruit may be good for your heart because it has a lot of potassium, fiber, and antioxidants in it.
- Immune health: The vitamin A and C concentration of jackfruit may help in the prevention of illness. This fruit is also supposed to protect you from viral infections.
- Keeping skin problems at bay: There are many nutrients and antioxidants in this fruit, including vitamin C, which may improve skin health. There is some anecdotal evidence that consuming it may help slow down the aging process of the skin.
Many individuals, vegan or not, use jackfruit to replace meat in recipes. “Many Americans consume too much meat already, a healthy meat alternative is definitely worth a shot.”
At The End!
In the end, it’s important to remember that jackfruit is not simply some “faux meat,” as it’s often referred to. It is real food with a rich history of its own, and there is so much more to it than just its ability to mimic other things. While jackfruit-based recipes do come with their own unique benefits—from healthful nutritional value to lower fat content—it’s important not to forget that they’re also delicious in their own right. So take a moment to treat yourself to a vegan BBQ jackfruit wrap today! You won’t be disappointed.
As always, I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave any feedback or share your own experience with us in the comments section below.
If you enjoyed this post about Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Wraps and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Categories: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Courses: Appetizer, Sandwich
- Cuisine: American
- Energy: 370 kcal / 1547 kJ
- Fat: 14 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Carbs: 50 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- For: 4 servings
- 1 20 ounce can green jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- Salt to taste
- 4 large gluten-free tortillas
- shredded Romaine lettuce
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced red onions
- sliced avocado
- garlic aioli sauce, recipe below
Garlic Aioli Sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- Pinch of salt
- Toss jackfruit with onion and garlic powder. Heat vegetable broth in a large skillet over medium heat, add jackfruit, barbecue sauce, and stir to coat.
- Cover skillet, lower heat and allow to cook for about 15 to 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Using two forks shred jackfruit. In the meanwhile prepare garlic aioli sauce.
- To prepare garlic aioli, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic and salt in a bowl.
- Heat tortillas until soft. Lay each tortilla on cutting board, spread the tortilla with garlic aioli sauce, top with lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado and BBQ jackfruit.
- Wrap tortilla into a burrito shape and slice in the middle.
I am so excited to start a new facebook group, sharing lots of delicious vegan recipes, health tips etc. from our members, please join us at Vegan Recipes With Love! If you tried this recipe, please comment below and let us know how you like it. Also, please follow us on Instagram!
Thank you for such a delicious introduction to jackfruit. I’ll definitely be added in this to my favorite recipes. Instead of garlic aioli, I mixed shredded cabbage with garlic and avocado mayonnaise for extra veggies and crunch. The combination on a Famous Dave’s multigrain roll made for a hardy sandwich. My meat loving husband finished off the leftovers from the skillet. I’d say that’s a positive comment from him. Thank you again.
Thank you very much Ginny for your feedback, I’m so happy you and your husband enjoyed it. Love how you added avocado mayonnaise, sounds so yummy.
thank you for sharing this
Not bad! I really liked the simple aioli. Some suggestions: break up the jackfruit ahead of time. (It was a little slippery to try and break up while in the sauce.) I’d also use way less veggie broth. The jackfruit stayed pretty wet and led to a soggy tortilla. Otherwise, I enjoy that this is easy and tasty!
Very tasty :) I made it one day.
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m so happy you enjoy it.
Hi. Can it be served cold?
Absolutely Iris, hope you enjoy.
Wow this was delicious and quick and easy to prepare. Looking forward to trying more recipes!
Thank you Deandra, I’m happy you enjoyed it.
Just made this recipe and the wraps are so tasty!
Awesome Shanel, so happy you enjoy them.
Looks mouthwatering, can’t wait to try. Thank you for your delicious recipes.
This looks great!!!!!!
Can’t wait to try it.