I love eating samosas except I can’t bring myself to deep frying them, so I’m always looking for ways to serve them. My Baked Samosa Muffin is a popular version of samosa without the crust but if you are missing the crunchy crust these Tortilla Samosa are the perfect substitute.
Making the traditional crust from scratch is more tedious, so substituting the crust with tortillas will save you so much time. I have used Engine 2 Brown Rice tortilla or La Tortilla factory’s teff wraps as my go-to gluten-free tortillas.
To prepare this tortilla samosa recipe, I boiled potatoes then I saute them in onion, garlic, ginger, curry and add peas. I then allowed the filling to cool before I stuffed them into tortillas shaped into cones and sealed with a gluten-free flour paste. For the paste a made a mixture of gluten-free flour and water.
How To Make Tortilla Samosa:
- Cut 1 tortilla in half down the center.
- Fold one-half tortilla towards the center, apply the paste.
- Fold the other part and seal with the paste.
- Add filling and seal the open end with paste.
I then brush them with oil and bake in the oven. So easy and they crisp up so well, you couldn’t tell they weren’t made from scratch. They were so delicious they reminded me of my Jamaican Lentil Patties recipe.
- 3 large Tortillas, cut into halves (I used La Tortilla factory’s teff wraps)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or coconut oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For The Paste
- Place potatoes with cold water in a large pot over medium-high and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, add onion, garlic, ginger and cook until soft about 3 minutes. Add curry powder and cook for a minute stirring.
- Add potatoes, peas, cilantro, cayenne pepper and salt and stir to combine flavors. Remove from heat to cool.
- Combine gluten-free flour and water in a small bowl and mix to form a paste.
- Cut tortilla down the middle, fold one side over towards the center and add a little paste then bring the other end up and over the pasted end and seal to form a cone. Add filling and seal the remaining open end with the paste. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Place samosas on a baking tray, brush with oil and bake for 30 minutes, turning halfway.
- Note: If your tortillas aren't pliable enough, warm them up on each side one at a time in a dry skillet heated over medium-high heat.