Aloo Palak (Potato and Spinach Curry), is an easy to prepare and flavorful Indian dish, where potatoes and spinach are cooked in aromatic spices!
I have been making this dish for many years now and it is still a huge hit when I serve it. I boil the potatoes and add it to the cooked spinach with a blend of aromatic spices.
I normally blend the spinach but decided not to do so this time. People eat with their eyes and the pureed greens look like baby food. Imagine photographing it as well, just too difficult to make it look appealing.
However, whether you puree the spinach or chop, the flavors taste absolutely amazing! It is delicious served with roti, naan or rice. I served mine with gluten-free flat bread and it was so delicious. Some of my popular curry dishes are:
I love leafy greens in all varieties and I try to eat them pretty much on a daily basis. I have eaten even wild greens such as
My love for greens lead me this past summer to the local farmers market where I would purchase my weekly supply of wild edible greens from old Farmer John. I was excited to see what he had brought to the market and he never ceased to amaze me. He even brought Spanish needle.
Although, I grew up with Spanish needle all over Jamaica and now here in Florida, I never tried eating it, so I had to go and do some research. Here are some of the many health benefits!
Eating Aloo Palak (Potato and Spinach Curry) is a delicious and nutritious way of consuming plenty of greens in your diet.
- 3 medium potatoes , peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 inch ginger , grated
- 1-10 ounce bag chopped spinach , fresh or frozen
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- sea salt , to taste
- 10 min
- 30 min
- Ready in:
- 40 min
- Boil potatoes in large pot until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-high heat, add cumin seeds until sizzling. Add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for another minute, stirring constantly
- Add coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika.
- Stir in spinach and cook stirring until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt. Add potatoes and stir occasionally for flavors to blend, about 3 minutes.