Enjoy this delicious and healthy Turmeric Coconut Rice for your next meal. Brown rice simmered in seasoned coconut milk with onion, garlic, and thyme.This is so easy to prepare and in no time, you will have this fancy Turmeric Coconut Rice that is so flavorful, adding an extra special touch to your meal.
Onion and garlic are sauteed in coconut oil until fragrant, turmeric, thyme, spring onion and carrots added. Brown rice is stirred in to soak up the flavors and color of the pretty yellow turmeric.
Rice is then slow cooked in coconut milk and vegetable broth for a rich and tasty flavor. Or you can 1 vegetable bouillon with 2 cups water.
This dish will certainly become a favorite, it is so tasty that you really could just eat it on its own or add some beans or oven baked tofu cubes at the end of cooking for a delicious one pot meal!
Preparing brown rice this way is one of the best ways to introduce it to someone who has never tried it or one who would love to transition to eating brown rice but is not sure of how to prepare it to be tasty.
Brown rice Vs White Rice:
- Brown rice is healthier for you than white rice, it contains more minerals, vitamins, and fiber.
- Brown rice is a gluten-free whole grain, it has all the grain- the bran, the germ and the endosperm.
- On the other hand, white rice has the germ and bran removed which are the most nutritious parts of the rice.
- White rice has very little nutrients and is believed to be an 'empty calorie food'.
This recipe is different from the others you will find out there because it is cooked with a Caribbean flavor.
I am so excited to start a new facebook group, sharing lots of delicious vegan recipes, health tips etc. from our members, please join us at Vegan Recipes With Love! If you tried this recipe, please comment below and let us know how you like it. Also, please follow us on Instagram!
- 2 cups brown rice , (Jasmine or Basmati) washed and drained
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 carrot , diced
- 1-15 oz can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth , or 1 vegetable bouillon plus 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper , (optional)
- sea salt , to taste, (I used 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro , and lime juice, for garnish
- 15 min
- 50 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 5 min
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium high, cook onion and garlic until soft about 3 minutes.
- Stir in turmeric, green onions, thyme, carrots and cook for a minute stirring constantly.
- Add rice and stir until rice is fully coated yellow. Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, cayenne pepper, and salt. (Make sure you add enough salt until it is flavorful).
- Bring to boil, cover and reduce to simmer on low for 50 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and keep covered for about 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, stir in cilantro leaves and a squeeze of lime juice.
- I prefer to use Basmati, Jasmine or any long grain brown rice for a flakier rice. Short grain rice will most likely be too sticky.
- I usually cover the pot with a sheet of parchment paper underneath the pot cover to seal the pot and allow the rice to cook faster and flakier instead of being soggy.