This Turmeric Coconut Rice is by far the most popular rice recipe on my website, I decided to do some new photos. Published on: Jan 11, 2017
The flavor blends are just right, the combination of turmeric, coconut milk, and Jamaican seasonings thyme, green onions, garlic, onion are amazing! The best comfort side dish ever.
Brown rice vs White Rice:
- Eating brown rice is healthier for you than white rice, it contains more minerals, vitamins, and fiber.
- Brown rice is a gluten-free whole grain, it has all the grain- the bran, the germ, and the endosperm.
- On the other hand, white rice has the germ and bran removed which are the most nutritious parts of the rice.
- White rice has very little nutrients and is believed to be an ’empty calorie food’.
How To Make Turmeric Coconut Rice?
For this coconut rice recipe, onion and garlic are sauteed in coconut oil until fragrant, turmeric, thyme, spring onion and carrots added.
Brown rice is stirred in to soak up the flavors and color of the pretty yellow turmeric. My favorite rice to use is basmati or jasmine rice.
Rice is then slow-cooked in coconut milk and vegetable broth for a rich and tasty flavor. Or you can 1 vegetable bouillon with 2 cups water.
Turmeric Coconut Rice dish will certainly become a favorite, it is so tasty that you really could just eat it on its own or add some beans or oven-baked tofu cubes at the end of cooking for a delicious one-pot meal!
What To Serve With My Turmeric Coconut Rice?
Preparing brown rice this way is one of the best ways to introduce it to someone who has never tried it or one who would love to transition to eating brown rice but is not sure of how to prepare it to be tasty.
Other Delicious Rice Recipes To Try:
This recipe is different from the others you will find out there because it is cooked with a Caribbean flavor.
Note, I recently found out from a reader that they make a similar dish called Nasi Kuning in Indonesia that has pandan leaves, galangal, lemongrass added to it. I would love to try it someday.
Get discounted copies of my cookbook Here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes
- 224 kcal / 936 kJ
- 3 g
- 5 g
- 45 g
- 15 min
- 50 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 5 min
- 2 cups brown rice, (Jasmine or Basmati) washed and drained
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1-15 oz can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth, or 1 vegetable bouillon plus 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, (optional)
- sea salt, to taste, (I used 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, and lime juice, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium high, cook onion and garlic until soft about 3 minutes.
- Stir in turmeric, green onions, thyme, carrots and cook for a minute stirring constantly.
- Add rice and stir until rice is fully coated yellow. Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, cayenne pepper, and salt. (Make sure you add enough salt until it is flavorful).
- Bring to boil, cover and reduce to simmer on low for 50 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and keep covered for about 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, stir in cilantro leaves and a squeeze of lime juice.
- I prefer to use Basmati, Jasmine, or any long-grain brown rice for flakier rice. Short grain rice will most likely be too sticky.
- I usually cover the pot with a sheet of parchment paper underneath the pot cover to seal the pot and allow the rice to cook faster and flakier instead of being soggy.