FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
What Is Dirty Rice?
Dirty rice or Cajun rice is an American Cajun/Creole dish, originally from Southern Louisiana but is now enjoyed throughout the American south.
Dirty rice is popular throughout Cajun country, especially New Orleans and is served in various forms at all public gatherings, whether it is a family reunion, potluck, cookout, funeral.
Although there are many versions of dirty rice, traditional dirty rice is made with ground beef, pork, chicken livers (giving it its dirty color), onion, celery, bell pepper, and Creole seasoning.
My version of dirty rice, I added a vegan burger for that dirty rice look. I have made it with my vegan burger recipe and Beyond burger and they were both a huge hit. I also substituted green bell pepper for red bell pepper.
This is the perfect one pot meal that has so much flavor and it can easily be adapted with your favorite veggies and protein to be enjoyed all year round.
Why Is It Called Dirty Rice?
It is called 'dirty rice' because of the bits and pieces of browned meat studded in the rice. Traditionally long grain or medium grain white rice is used to make homemade dirty rice but I use brown rice.
What's In Dirty Rice?
- Vegan Burger Or Store Bought
- Bell Pepper
- Creole Seasoning
- Vegetable Broth
- Cooked Brown Rice
- Green Onion
How To Make Dirty Rice?
Cook vegan burger following recipe instructions or if using storebought burger, cook according to package directions and cut into small pieces using a fork and knife, set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat, add onion, garlic, celery, bell peppers and cook until fragrant and soft, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the vegan burger, rice, salt to taste and spring onion. Cook until heated through, about one minute.
What Goes With Dirty Rice?
Can You Freeze Dirty Rice?
Yes, you can freeze dirty rice, preferably freeze your dirty rice immediately after cooling. Place rice in sealed containers and freeze.
Dirty rice should keep for one month in the freezer.
To reheat dirty rice you can either defrost container in the refrigerator or reheat from frozen. I usually add about 2 tablespoons of water or vegetable broth to the pan.
- 3 kcal / 13 kJ
- 6 g
- 9 g
- 5 g
- 15 min
- 20 min
- Ready in:
- 35 min
- 1 cooked vegan burger, homemade or store bought
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or your favorite oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, (I used red bell pepper)
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- salt, to taste
- green onion, chopped for garnish
- Cook vegan burger following recipe instructions or if using storebought burger, cook according to package directions and cut into small pieces using a fork and knife, set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat, add onion, garlic, celery, bell peppers and cook until fragrant and soft, about 3 minutes. Add Creole seasoning, vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the vegan burger, rice, salt to taste and spring onion. Cook until heated through, about one minute.