Oven-Baked BBQ Fries are flavorsome and packed with smoky and sweet BBQ flavors. Made from a mix of spices and seasonings, this recipe offers a unique way of enjoying your fries.
I don’t know a single person who doesn’t love fries! I mean, whether you are a vegan or a non-vegan, there is nothing that can go with fries. They are the ultimate comfort food for people of every age.
The beauty of fries is that they taste just as good without any seasoning on them. And if you try sea spices and seasonings, the flavors go up a notch. S, because of my undying love for fries, I present to you a recipe that is very close to my heart. It is a simple yet insanely delicious recipe that is super easy to make as well. If you happen to love BBQ just as much as fries, you will drool over this recipe.
It is a great way to turn plain fries into something celebratory. So, without any further wait, let’s discuss a bit about my most favorites BBQ fries.
Enjoy your fries topped with Vegan Cheese Sauce and Black Bean Oatmeal Burger Recipe.
Here is what you will need to make these irresistible BBQ fries:
- Potatoes: Potatoes are the first choice when you think about making fries. The level of starch they have makes it a good choice. Potatoes are crispy from the outside, tender from the inside. When choosing potatoes for this recipe, my first choice is russet potatoes. These firm potatoes have just the right amount of starch for making perfect fries. However, you can go for several other types as well. Furthermore, when choosing potatoes, always choose fresh produce. It should be firm to touch, without blemishes, cracks, or spots. Furthermore, there should be no roots coming from the nodes.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is rich in healthy fats and helps in cooking the fries. However, you can choose canola oil, avocado oil, rosehip oil, or any other oil as well.
- Nutritional yeast flakes: Nutritional yeast flakes is a vegan ingredient that is often used in place of dairy cheese. It is said to have a cheesy flavor. So, if you are missing parmesan fries, add nutritional yeast for that cheesy flavor.
- Organic cane sugar: Organic cane sugar adds sweetness to the first. The term BBQ refers to something smoky and sweet at the same time. So, adding cane sugar means you are fulfilling the flavor requirement.
- Onion powder: onion powder has a slightly sweet and savory flavor that is exactly like onions.
- Garlic powder: The depth and garlicky flavor you get from garlic powder are just right to make these fries more tasteful.
- Smoked paprika: The smokiness of BBQ fries is gained through smoked paprika. It has a unique smoky flavor with a hint of sweetness we all love.
- Cayenne pepper: If you love heat and pepper, cayenne pepper is the perfect ingredient for you. It brings in the heat, which makes these fries utterly delicious.
- Cumin powder: Cumin powder has a rich and earthy flavor. It enhances the flavors of the BBQ fries.
- Salt: A dash of salt intensifies and balances out the flavors.
How to make bar-be-que fries?
Making BBQ fries is very easy. That’s because the spices we are using are readily available in every kitchen pantry. As a result, the preparation is effortless and quick. Here are a few simple steps you have to follow to make these delicious fries:
Step 1: Firstly, Wash and scrub the potatoes to get rid of dirt. Using a sharp knife, cut them into ¼ inch matchsticks. Make sure the potatoes are equal in size.
Step 2: Place the potatoes matchsticks in a large bowl.
3: Drizzle olive oil, and add nutritional yeast, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and cumin powder and salt.
4: Mix well using your hands so that everything is well combined.
5: Place the potato matchsticks on a parchment-lined baking tray in a single layer.
6: Place the baking tray in a preheated oven at 425-degree f for 35 minutes or until they turn golden.
7: Once done, serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Do I have to soak the fries before cooking them?
Most people prefer to soak the fries before baking them. It is an optional step. If you are not in a hurry or have plenty of time up your sleeves, you can soak them in water at room temperature for up to 2 hours. This way, the extra starch will leave the potatoes, and they will turn out to be crispy from the outside and fluffy from the inside. It is a good way to attain extra crispiness and tenderness at the same time.
Tips for making BBQ fries
what can be easier than making BBQ fries? The process is super simple, just like making regular fries. It’s the use of spices that make these fries stand out. here are a few tips that will help you in making these fries effortlessly:
- You can keep the skin on or off when making fries. If you are keeping the skin on, make sure you scrub it so that there is no dirt on it.
- When cutting the potatoes, make sure you cut them evenly. It is crucial for even cooking.
- Where most people love fries made with potatoes, you can also use sweet potatoes instead. Sweet potatoes fries have a slightly sweet flavor and are a healthier option as well.
- You can mix the spices and store them in a separate spice jar. This way, you don’t have to add the spices separately. It is a very convenient and quick way of making BBQ fries. You can name this dry spice mix BBQ spice as well.
- If you don’t have organic cane sugar, you can use coconut sugar or regular white sugar as well. If you are planning on adding brown sugar, remember that the flavor will change.
- You can also make BBQ fries in an air fryer. Make sure you keep them in a single layer in the basket and flip them halfway into the cook.
What to serve with bar-be-que fries?
There are so many ways you can serve BBQ fries. Where you can serve these with your favorite dips, you can make several dishes out of it as well. Here are a few ideas on how to serve these delicious fries:
- Loaded fries: Loaded fries is one of the wildly loved snacks. Whether it is game day or movie night, loaded fries are everyone’s favorites. You can turn these BBQ fries into yummy, hearty, and delicious loaded fries. Top with your favorite vegetables, vegan cheese, and enjoy!
- Vegan cheese sauce: If loaded fries are too heavy for you, try using a simple dip like vegan cheese dip. It is made from cashews and is creamy and tasteful. Perfect enough to go with BBQ fries.
- Hummus: You will have to try it to love it! Humus is a rich and delicious dip that goes well with vegetable sticks. However, you can try it with BBQ fries as well. The richness and creaminess of humus balance out the fieriness of the fries.
- Spinach artichoke dip: Spinach artichoke dip is another classic that goes well with the fries.
- Vegan mayo: Made with silken tofu, vegan mayo is creamy, rich, and delicious. Add a splash of lemon to bring is a zesty taste and make this dip more flavorsome. It is just what you need with BBQ fries.
Other Fries To Try
- Yuca Fries
- Baked Jicama Fries
- Taro Fries
- Parsnip Fries
- Cajun Plantain Fries
- My Favorite Recipes For Fries
If you enjoyed this post about Oven Baked BBQ Fries and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Energy: 177 kcal / 740 kJ
- Fat: 4 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Carbs: 33 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 35 min
- Ready in: 50 min
- For: 4 Servings
- 4 medium potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 1/4 inch matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon organic cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven 425. Line baking sheet with parchment and lightly grease.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes to get rid of dirt.
- Using a sharp knife, cut them into ¼ inch matchsticks.
- Place the potatoes matchsticks in a large bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil, and add nutritional yeast, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and cumin powder and salt.
- Mix well using your hands so that everything is well combined.
- Place the potato matchsticks on a parchment-lined baking tray in a single layer.
- Place the baking tray in a preheated oven at 425-degree f for 35 minutes or until they turn golden.
- Once done, serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
i learn how to prepare oven Baked BBQ fries its so easy to make
I prepared these and put it in the airfryer. OMG!!!! It was the best!!! Your seasonings are always spot on
Thank you Charnele, that’s great to know it turned out great in an air fryer. My hubby bought one but sent it back because he didn’t like the coating on it so now I’m looking for one.
This was so delicious I almost ate the entire batch.
Wow, that’s how much I was tempted to eat the entire batch,thank you for your feedback