I have been making vegan cheese sauces ever since I became vegan over 20 years ago. Giving up cheese was one of my biggest challenges as I transitioned to a dairy-free lifestyle, so making my own vegan cheese was imperative.
This recipe is an adapted version of one that I first tried over 12 years ago while I attended a natural health training at Wildwood Lifestyle Center, where I spent a month. They served vegan meals that were simple yet very delicious.
The original recipe was made with carrots and potatoes, but I have added cashews to it if you are nut-free eliminate the cashews. You can also try my Vegan Nacho Recipe and the best vegan Mac n Cheese recipe.
For the recipe, boil the potatoes and carrots. Then I transfer them to a high-process blender along with the other ingredients and process until smooth and creamy. So easy and delicious. This vegan cheese sauce lasts about 1 week in the refrigerator.
Come and join our informative, supportive, inspiring Facebook group Vegan Recipes With Love to help you stay motivated on your journey. Our members share lots of recipes, health benefits of foods and tips! Bring your friends too!
- 155 kcal / 648 kJ
- 5 g
- 8 g
- 21 g
- 10 min
- 10 min
- Ready in:
- 20 min
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked for 1 hour in warm water
- 1/2 cup water, (use water from cooked vegetables)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon tahini paste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of Cayenne pepper
- Boil potatoes and carrots in water over medium heat in a saucepan for about 10 minutes.
- Scoop out potatoes and carrots using a large slotted spoon, and transfer to a high-speed blender.
- Add 1/2 cup of the water used for cooking potatoes and carrots. Add cashews and remaining ingredients and process until smooth and creamy.