This creamy and smooth Vegan Nacho Cheese Recipe is so easy to prepare yet so deliciously addictive. Cashews, bell pepper, nutritional yeast flakes, tahini paste, lemon juice and spices blended until creamy and thickened on the stove. Vegan nacho cheese sauce is much healthier than traditional nacho cheese, your non-vegan friends and family will be amazed.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
This amazing Vegan Nacho Cheese Recipe is great for your next event and will certainly be a huge hit! In order to achieve the velvety cheese sauce, I highly recommend you use a high-speed blender such as Blentec or Vitamix.
How To Make Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
To prepare your vegan cashew nacho cheese, you soak your cashews for 1 hour in warm water, rinse them and place in a blender with remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour the sauce into a saucepan and cook stirring constantly with a whisk until thick. You may add more or less water depending on the consistency you choose.
Here are why I choose the ingredients:
- Red bell pepper for orange color and vitamins.
- Nutritional yeast flakes for cheesy flavor and Vitamin B12.
- Cashews for creamy, velvety sauce and a good source of protein.
- Tahini paste for added cheesy flavor.
- Lemon juice for sharp taste and Vitamin C.
- Smoked paprika for a smokey flavor.
If you don’t have a high-speed blender then make sure to soak your cashews before blending, I also recommend that you blend at least two times resting the blender after each time you process the sauce to prevent your motor from getting damaged.
This is my tried and true Vegan Nacho Cheese Recipe that will be a hit every time you make it. I use this non-dairy vegan nacho cheese as a dip with chips, as a sandwich spread, pasta and as a substitute for all your old non-vegan recipes that called for nacho cheese. It is delicious on my Vegan Black Bean Nachos and Vegan Pinto Bean Chili.
The good thing is that most of the ingredients can be found in every well-stocked pantry except for the Nutritional yeast flakes that can be found online and the tahini paste can be found here if you cannot find them in your local health food store.
For More Mexican Inspired Recipes Try My:
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 1 hour in warm water
- 1-1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes, or 1/2 teaspoon cumin if yeast-free
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Soak cashews for about an hour in warm water to soften or boil in water for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse
- Place water in a high-speed blender, add cashews, red bell pepper, nutritional yeast flakes, tahini, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper. Process until smooth.
- Pour sauce into a medium sized saucepan and bring to boil on medium heat stirring constantly with a whisk until thick and bubbly, being careful not to burn.
Notes: The remaining sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for a week in a container with a tight lid. To reheat, add a little water and stir constantly over medium heat.