Instant Pot Mexican Rice
I’m using my Instant Pot almost on a daily basis, apart from my blender this is now the most frequently used kitchen gadget.
If you are busy, which most moms are then having an Instant Pot is a great idea. You can set the Instant Pot and go attend to something else and it keeps the dish warm for hours.
What a time saver! I multitask while cooking and so it is one less project to focus on. I have now shared my Instant Pot Lentil Soup, Instant Pot Jamaican Rice, and Peas, and Instant Pot Split Peas Soup on here and I’m so excited to share with you my latest recipe.
Last May, my family and I were so blessed to travel to Cancun, Mexico and we stayed at the lovely Riviera Maya Resort Hotels and had a wonderful and relaxing time there.
We enjoyed the warm and friendly people, seeing the Mayan ruins and the food were so fresh and full of flavor. I can’t wait to visit again.
How To Cook Instant Pot Mexican Rice?
I don’t like mushy rice, I rarely make risotto or cook with short-grain rice for that reason,
I love fluffy rice and I believe that it is an art of how to make perfect rice.
So if you struggle with making rice that is fluffy and not sticky and mushy, then using the instant pot is for you and making my Instant Pot Mexican Rice is the solution.
I set the Instant pot on saute and saute the rice and onion, garlic and cumin for 5 minutes stirring. I added the tomato sauce, vegetable broth, and salt set the Instant Pot on manual for 22 minutes.
After it is finished cooking, I then let it sit for 5 minutes to Natural release its pressure then I move the knob to ‘venting’ and quick release putting a dishcloth over the top of the vent.
I used Jasmine Brown rice from Trader Joe’s to make this recipe. Basmati Brown Rice or any long-grain brown rice will do, this dish is simple and flavorful.
Other Instant Pot Recipes
- Black-Eyed Peas Curry
- Jackfruit and Potato Curry
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Black Beans
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Plug Instant Pot in power and press Saute to heat. Add oil, once it is heated, add onion, garlic, cumin and cook for 2 minutes stirring. Stir in the rice and saute for about 4 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and stir to coat. Add vegetable broth and salt Switch Instant Pot to the Keep Warm/Cancel button. Cover Instant Pot with the lid, make sure knob is set on the Sealing position. Now press the Manual button and the display will now say ON. Click the + plus button until it is 22 minutes on High Pressure. You can walk away and let the Instant Pot do its work.
- You will hear whistling but do not panic, it's quite normal. At the end of the 22 minutes let the Instant Pot Natural Release pressure for 5 minutes. Then you will turn the knob to Vent and allow it to Quick Release the remaining pressure. I usually put a damp dishcloth over the vent carefully as the final steam releases.
- Once the steam releases you can now open the Instant Pot and flurry your rice.