Prepare your JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS using your Instant Pot for perfect rice every time, you can literally walk away and return with authentic INSTANT POT JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS!
My husband recently bought me an Instant Pot and it is a huge game changer for me! It has cut down my preparation time and I have the peace of mind that I can walk away from the pot and don't have to worry that I'm going to ruin my dish. I was wondering what was the big deal about Instant Pot and now that I have one, I'm wondering why was I second guessing! It reminds me of having a smartphone, I'm wondering how I survived without one!
For those who haven't take the plunge in purchasing one, you can still make the recipe the traditional way with this Jamaican Rice And Peas Recipe.
It is delicious served with my Jamaican Jerked Cauliflower recipe.
The recipe is so easy, I presoaked the beans overnight after sorting them and washing them in a colander. The next morning, I drained the beans, rinsed them and put them in my Instant Pot with water and pressure cook them for 8 minutes on high pressure using the manual setting.
After the 8 minutes has finished, allow steam pressure to naturally release for about 20 minutes, you leave the valve closed and allow the pressure to decrease naturally.
I have also used the quick release method, by opening the valve, turning it from sealing to venting and allowing the steam to release quickly. When the Instant Pot is depressurized, the float valve will drop and the lid will be able to unlock to open. Until the pressure is released and the float valve dropped, the pressure cooker will not open.
Next, I added all the remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot and set it manually to cook for 22 minutes.
Back home in Jamaica, we refer to kidney beans as peas, hence the name. Traditionally rice and peas recipe is eaten every Sunday for dinner, using dried kidney beans that are soaked the night before and freshly squeezed coconut milk. Thyme, the herb of choice, and scotch bonnet pepper are added to the pot whole for flavor. Be careful not to open the pepper, because it is extremely hot.
- 265 kcal / 1108 kJ
- 8 g
- 8 g
- 42 g
- 20 min
- 30 min
- Ready in:
- 50 min
- 1 1/2 cups dried kidney beans, or 2 cans of kidney beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 14 ounce can of coconut milk
- 3 cups long grain brown rice, washed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper, or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sort kidney beans removing any debris, rocks or damaged beans, wash and drain kidney beans in a colander. If using can kidney beans, drain beans and skip to 4
- Place kidney beans in a large bowl and cover with water, making sure that there is enough water for the kidney beans to double in size (about 2 inches above beans). Let the beans soak for at least 6 hours or overnight. Drain beans after soaking and rinse using a colander.
- Place kidney beans in the Instant Pot and add 3 cups of water, cover instant pot securely and make sure to turn the valve to 'sealed' position. Manually set Instant Pot to cook beans for 8 minutes at high pressure. When the timer goes off, use the natural release method, do not open the valve and allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Meanwhile, sort and wash rice, using a fine mesh strainer and set aside. Remove lid, add onion, green onion, garlic, ginger, coconut milk, rice. Stir to fully incorporate rice with all the other ingredients. Add allspice, thyme, salt and stir again. Add Scotch bonnet pepper or cayenne pepper. *If using canned kidney beans, add them along with 2 cups of water.
- Close lid securely, turn the valve to the sealed position. Manually set Instant Pot to cook rice and peas for 22 minutes at high pressure
- When the timer goes off, allow steam pressure to naturally release for about 20 minutes, turn the sealing knob to venting to release the remaining pressure. Remove lid and discard Scotch bonnet pepper, fluff rice and its ready to serve.