FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
Recently, I made Instant Pot Pinto Beans and it was so amazing, I was motivated to make this Instant Pot Black Beans recipe after a reader said she made my Instant Pot Pinto Beans with black beans instead and how delicious it tasted.
I'm so excited to share with you how to cook black beans in an Instant Pot. it is so easy and the Instant Pot is mostly a hands-free appliance.
Health Benefits Of Black Beans
Dried black beans are very affordable, a great source of protein, high in fiber and minerals. One cup serving of black beans contains 227 calories. For more nutritional benefits check out Dr. Axe article.
How To Cook Instant Pot Black Beans
This version of Instant Pot Black Beans is done with or without pre-soaking the black beans.
I prefer to make my beans with a Caribbean style of flavors, using thyme, coconut milk, and allspice. The result is the tastiest beans you will ever eat.
How To Soak Beans
If you prefer to soak your black beans then place dried black beans on a cutting board, remove and discard debris, broken beans and rinse beans in a colander. Transfer black beans to a large bowl, add clean water to cover to about 3 inches above beans and allow to soak for 8 hours to overnight.
The following day, rinse beans, drain and now your beans are ready to cook.
Other Instant Pot Recipes To Try
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Instant Pot Jamaican Stew Peas
- Instant Pot Vegan Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Jamaican Rice And Peas
- Instant Vegan Jackfruit With Potato Curry
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 171 kcal / 715 kJ
- 4 g
- 9 g
- 27 g
- 1 h 5 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 5 min
- 1 pound dried black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 2 vegetable bouillons
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting and add oil into the pot. Add onion, garlic, red bell pepper, thyme, Italian seasoning, allspice, cayenne pepper, vegetable bouillon. Cook stirring until onion is soft and fragrant.
- Add black beans, water, coconut milk. Place cover on Instant Pot, turn the lid to the closed position and set the timer for 45 minutes if unsoaked or 30 minutes of black beans are presoaked. Allow pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes.