This hearty Instant Pot Jamaican Stew Peas recipe is the perfect taste of the Island, with delicious Kidney Peas cooked in coconut milk, thyme, allspice and topped with dumplings.
I can't exaggerate how delicious this Instant Pot Jamaican Stew Peas recipe is! It is so delicious that my hubby requested it two days in a row. It is the Instant Pot version of my popular Jamaican Stew Peas with Dumplings (Spinners) recipe with minor tweaks. I have also perfected my Instant Pot Jamaican Rice and Peas recipe.
I enjoyed making this recipe in the Instant Pot because I basically added all the ingredients and set the pot and walked away.
To prepare this Instant Pot Jamaican Stew Peas I first prepare the 1 pound or 2 cups dried beans. You have two methods:
1: Sort and wash dry beans then soak in water overnight, the following morning you discard water, rinse then cook beans in 8 cups water in a large pot on the stovetop, bring to boil then reduce to simmer for 45 minutes - 1 hour. Reserve liquid to use as broth.
2: wash and sort and cook in Instant Pot with 8 cups of water on high pressure for 35 minutes. Reserve liquid to use as broth.
Add the *bean broth(liquid from cooked beans) to the Instant Pot, cooked beans, coconut milk, onion, garlic, ginger, green onions, carrot, thyme, allspice, salt, and dumplings. Stir and close the knob (sealing) set the Instant Pot on High Pressure or Manual Pressure for 20 minutes. After the Instant Pot has beeped, allow it to Natural Release for 10 minutes then turn the knob to venting and Quick Release. After it is finished releasing the steam, open the cover and remove Scotch bonnet pepper and thyme, then serve. It is delicious served with rice but it was so hearty I served it with a large salad.
- 335 kcal / 1400 kJ
- 5 g
- 17 g
- 55 g
- 6 cups cooked kidney beans
- 3 cups bean broth , vegetable broth
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger , grated
- 2 medium carrots , cut into circles
- 2 sprigs thyme , or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper , or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 batch Dumplings , (recipe below)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour , ( I used Pillsbury Best Gluten-Free Flour Blend)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- water , to form dough
- 35 min
- 20 min
- Ready in:
- 55 min
- Place bean broth and cooked beans in Instant Pot, add coconut milk, onion, green onions, garlic, ginger, carrot, thyme, Scotch bonnet pepper, allspice and salt
- To prepare dumplings, place gluten-free flour in a bowl, add salt and water, mix to form into a dough. Take pieces of dough and roll into the palm of your hands to form into cylindrical pieces or balls. Drop onto stew.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the knob to Sealing. Set Instant Pot to Manual mode, HP for 20 minutes.
- After finish pressure cooking, allow the Instant Pot to natural release for 10 minutes. Then Quick Release, turn knob to Venting, placing damp cloth over vent. Be Careful.
- Remove lid and serve.
- *Note: I refer to bean broth as the liquid that remains after you cook soaked beans or aquafaba.