Now that schools are opened, I'm already thinking about fall and comfort dishes. I had a whirlwind summer, spending lots of time outdoors and now I'm ready for the cool fall, where the days are short and cozy meals are simmering on the stove.
I was so privileged to have my brother and his family from London visiting us last week. We did so many fun and memorable things together. The only sad thing is that my brother literally arrived the day after we dropped our daughter Devannah off at the university.
We had to drive 8 hours overnight after arriving the day before and helping our daughter get settled in her room. We arrived home at 7 a.m the following day, dropped the rental car off, picked up a van and headed to the airport another 2 hours away to pick my brother and his family up.
We got to visit Orlando and St. Augustine, and we ate in lots of lovely restaurants. During their entire stay, I only cooked twice. I had fairly decent meals at restaurants that had vegan options, but for restaurants without, I ended up eating plain baked potatoes and vegetables.
Try My Other Delicious Lentil Recipes:
- Lentil Meatballs
- Vegan Lentil Loaf
- Jamaican Lentil Patties
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Lentil Curry Lettuce Cups
- Creamy Lentil Pasta
- One Pot Taco Spaghetti
My Vegan Lentil Stew is very easy to make using everyday ingredients that are in most kitchens. You can use vegetable broth or water as the liquid, I have made it with both and the recipe tastes delicious. You can use either green or brown lentils.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 292 kcal / 1221 kJ
- 5 g
- 19 g
- 43 g
- 15 min
- 45 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils, green or brown lentils sorted and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 14 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- Heat oil or water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute
- stir in celery, Italian seasoning, paprika, cumin and thyme and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste, carrots and potatoes, bay leaf and vegetable broth.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer for about 40 minutes or until stew has reached the desired texture.
- Remove bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and serve