This flavorful Instant Pot Vegan Lentil Soup is a crowd-pleaser, it cooks in 15 minutes with hearty lentils, carrots, potatoes, onion, garlic, and thyme.
After successfully making my Instant Pot Jamaican Rice And Peas, I decided it was time to make this Instant Pot Lentil Soup recipe and it was an amazing win, perfect taste, and texture the first try.
I served it a big bowl of my Kale Salad. I’m in love with my Instant Pot so much that I plan to purchase another one in the near future!
One is just not enough and I love that after it cooks the dish, it keeps it warm for hours, I even reheat my dishes right in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Vegan Lentil Soup Recipe
I decided to make a Jamaican-style Lentil Soup, so I used thyme, ginger, allspice, and a little coconut milk.
I added just enough coconut milk so as not to have a strong coconut taste, you can add more if you love the flavor.
The flavor was hearty and out of this world. I added some dumplings after I took the photos but didn’t include them in the recipe. In Jamaica, we love dumplings in our soup so I added some for my hubby.
You can check out my Gluten-Free recipe or my new favorite recipe that tastes and have the exact texture of regular white flour Jamaican dumplings is to use Pillsbury gluten-free flour.
Just add a little salt and water to form a dough, roll into dumplings and cook in the soup, might have to add extra water.
I used water plus 1 vegetable bouillon but you could use all vegetable broth instead and just adjust salt to taste after the soup is done.
If you want you can saute onion, garlic, green onion, ginger
How To Make Instant Pot Vegan Lentil Soup
In only 15 minutes in the Instant Pot and my soup was ready to serve, this is amazing!
I added onion, celery, garlic, ginger, and thyme.
Next, I added the carrots, potatoes, and lentils,
Then finally add water, vegetable bouillon, allspice, salt, cayenne.
Set the Instant Pot in the manual setting for 15 minutes.
I used the quick release method and voila, dinner was ready to be served.
Health Benefits Of Lentils
Lentils are healthy and rich in nutrients and should be included as part of the diet: Want to gain muscles while on a vegan diet? Then you should eat more lentils.
They’re high in fiber, protein, and folate. The fact is they can help you live longer, and they’re pretty much the perfect food. The little legumes have 250g of spermidine.
1 cup of cooked lentils contains:
- 226 calories
- 39 grams carbohydrates
- 18 grams of protein
- 16 grams of fiber
- 3.6 grams of sugar
- 0.8-grams fat
Other Lentil Recipes To Try:
- Lentil Meatballs
- Vegan Lentil Loaf
- Jamaican Lentil Patties
- Vegan Lentil Stew
- Lentil Curry Lettuce Cups
- Creamy Lentil Pasta
- One-Pot Taco Spaghetti
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 257 kcal / 1074 kJ
- Fat: 3 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Carbs: 43 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth for sauteing
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium white potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups lentils, sorted and rinsed, i used brown lentils
- 6 cups water, plus 1 veggie bouillon
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- Plug Instant Pot in power, press Saute mode, and heat oil or liquid if oil-free. Saute onion, garlic, green onion, celery, ginger and cook for about 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add thyme, allspice, carrots, potatoes, cayenne pepper, salt, lentil, water, vegetable bouillon and coconut milk. Stir.
- Cover Instant Pot and set at manual setting for 15 minutes making sure the valve is on 'Sealing'
- Use quick release to let the steam out (be careful steam burns) and serve.
- Note: if using stove top, follow instructions above and cook for 25-30 minutes on medium-high heat in a large pot.