Gram Flour flatbread (Besan Roti) is a delicious and nutritious Indian flatbread. It’s a delicious combination of gram flour and Gluten-free all-purpose flour, mild aromatic olive oil, crisp onions, and a variety of spices. Mint tomato chutney is a popular and delicious way to enjoy this roti. This wonderful recipe will undoubtedly entice you to delve in and savor this culinary treasure.
If you are looking for a healthy, delicious, and flavorful flatbread recipe then this Gram Flour Flatbread (Besan Roti) With Mint Tomato Chutney recipe is the answer to your prayers.
It is one of my favorite combinations. This was the first combo I tried after marrying, and I was pleasantly surprised!
Gram flour flatbreads are perfect as an accompaniment to curries or other Indian dishes, but they’re popular and great with mint tomato chutney! These Gram Flour Flatbreads are a perfect option for lunch on busy weekdays, or as a light supper on weekends.
Gram flour, which is commonly known as Besan, is known for its unique texture and flavor that makes it very versatile in all kinds of Indian recipes. Besan can be used to prepare doughs, pakoras, fritters, etc. Gram flour flatbread is a great way to use up any leftover gram flour.
SCROLL DOWN FOR THE DETAILED RECIPE, BUT I REQUEST YOU DON’T SKIP READING THE INFORMATION INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
See also Gluten-Free Vegan Flatbread, Gluten-Free Doubles, and Vegan Pupusa
Why Do You Like This Recipe?
If you’re wary about this foreign cuisine, like me, I advise you to try it at least once, because:
- These flatbreads are simple, quick to make, and super tasty!
- Besan, also known as gram flour, is one of the main ingredients, The Besan gives the roti a pleasant nutty flavor. It also aids in the slight crisping of the roti.
- Gram flour, (also called Chickpea flour, besan flour, or garbanzo bean flour, usually depending on where you live) is a nutrient-dense ingredient. It’s especially well-suited to low-carb gluten-free diets.
- Gram flour is high in manganese, magnesium, folic acid, iron, thiamine copper, and phosphorus (to list a few).
- The mint tomato chutney is a delicious condiment that adds a little extra something-something to these flatbreads.
- Mint tomato Chutney is a spicy dip. Mint, tomato, chilies, and cloves are added to this chutney. Cumin is also added. The flavors are refreshing, and it makes it taste mildly sour with the sweetness of tomatoes.
- If you are cooking for a tiny family of two for the first time, you may easily reduce the recipe by half.
Ingredients For Flatbread
- Gram flour –The recipe’s star as it contains fewer carbs and calories while being higher in protein and fiber. As a healthier alternative to refined wheat flour, it is packed with nutrients.
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour – All-purpose gluten-free flour is low in carbohydrates, high in protein, and rich in healthy fats, which makes flatbread moist and easy to roll.
- Onion – Adds a subtle sweetness to the bread.
- Cilantro –I personally love the flavor cilantro brings to the bread.
- Green chilies – Brings an exciting punch to the bread.
- Ginger Garlic paste – You can use fresh ginger and garlic, just for the convenience I used the store-bought!
- Salt – I used the pink salt.
- Red chili powder – Optional, but adds a subtle amount of heat.
- Turmeric – gives a hearty flavor and that distinctive yellow color.
- Roasted Cumin seeds – Aids digestion, gives an amazing bite and texture.
- Dried fenugreek leaves – This bread is incomplete without dried fenugreek leaves, they add this amazing aromatic flavor.
- Olive oil –Optional, you may or may not brush with a Lil oil while toasting the bread, I do apply little oil while toasting my bread as it gives a beautiful toasty crust to the bread.
How To Make Gram Flour Flatbread (Besan Roti)?
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Add water little by little until you have a pliable dough. Make round balls out of the dough and roll them into discs with a rolling pin using dry flour.
Put a nonstick pan on high heat for 2 minutes, then turn the flame down to medium. Roll out a roti/bread and place it on top.
Toast the bread on both sides until brown spots appear, now brush it with some olive oil so it’s nice and toasty brown on both sides. Serve with this mint tomato chutney and vegan yogurt!
Ingredients For Mint Tomato Chutney:
- ½ a bunch of Mint leaves
- ¼ of a bunch of Cilantro leaves
- 2-3 green chilies
- 3 – 4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium-sized Tomato
- 1 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds
How To Make Mint Tomato Chutney?
Blend all the ingredients with a little water in a blender.
It should form a paste similar to chutney.
Balance the flavor by adding a pinch of salt.
Transfer to a bowl and serve with flatbread.
- Onions are also commonly included in the dough. The onions lend a sweet flavor to the rotis, which makes it a good way to enhance flavor. If you don’t want to use onions, you can use chopped spinach or grated vegetables like carrots as a substitute.
- If you’re preparing for kids or a group who prefers it mild, leave out the green chilies or reduce their amount.
- Before putting green chilies and cilantro, finely chop them. As you roll the flatbread, this will keep them from tearing apart.
- Because these flatbreads are a little dry, ghee or butter softens them and makes them easier to eat. I used olive oil.
Storage of gram flour dough: Keeping the dough in the right way is the key to always getting soft, round flatbreads!!!
If you keep the dough in the refrigerator for too long, it will become hard and crumbly, and you cannot store it at room temperature since it will spoil soon.
- A) Olive, avocado, or vegetable oil should ALWAYS be used to coat the dough. This keeps the dough from coming into direct touch with air, keeping it smooth and supple.
- B) ALWAYS store the dough in an airtight container in the refrigerator; in this manner, it can be kept for up to two days
- C) If you have the time, allow the dough to sit at room temperature for at least one hour prior to making the roti; resulting in smooth Roti’s.
- D) If you think the dough is still a little hard or crumbly, knead it a little more (after being outside for 40-60 minutes), apply a light coating of warm water to the dough, and smooth it out with your hands.
- You can modify the number of spices to your preference.
- If you want your mint chutney to be thicker, add half an onion. Green onions, both fresh and dried, work well.
- If amla or Indian gooseberries are in season, omit the tomato and use them instead.
- Regarding spiciness, you should follow your own preferences. You can use as many or as few chilies as you want. My mint chutney isn’t particularly hot, but it does have a kick to it.
- Try raw, green mangoes in mint chutney if you have access to them. Just don’t forget to leave out the tomatoes.
- All your bases are covered with a little sweetness. You don’t really notice the sweetness since it’s so molecular.
- To make the chutney creamier, stir in some yogurt. This is the version that most restaurants serve.
- Another popular version adds grated coconut.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What Does Gram Flour Taste Like?
It has a flavor that is very neutral, slightly nutty, and a little “bean-y,” and it works well in both savory and sweet foods.
Is Gram Flour Flatbread Good For Weight Loss?
Besan, which is made from chickpeas, is an excellent way to lose weight. Chickpeas contain high-fiber content that keeps you feeling fuller for longer. Make nutritious flatbread by using half besan flour and half multigrain flour. Besan has a lot of protein, which helps to keep you full.
What Is Besan Gram Flour Used For?
It’s also called besan and is used in batters, gravies, and other dishes. In the Indian subcontinent, it is commonly used as a facial cleanser when blended with water or yogurt to form a paste. It’s also widely used in vegetarian cookery as an egg substitute. Gram flour batter is used to make Chila, a popular snack and fast food item.
How Long Can Gram Flour Flatbread (Besan Roti) Last?
The roti can be stored in an airtight box for up to three days. As rotis lose moisture, they harden over time. Furthermore, as compared to typical rotis, besan rotis are usually hard. As a result, serving them hot and fresh is highly advised.
What To Do If The Gram Flour Flatbread Dough Is Not Pliable?
If you’re rolling with a belan (rolling pin), go slowly. If it doesn’t work, place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper or other nonstick surface and carefully pat it into a disc, as thin as possible
Is Besan Roti Nutritious?
Yes, as a healthier alternative to regular bread, the besan roti contains more protein and natural fat than traditional roti.
What Makes A Flatbread A Flatbread?
Flatbread is traditionally unleavened bread baked without the use of yeast. The main ingredients are flour, water, and salt. Usually, it is cooked in a brick oven after being rolled out flat. Although it has its origins in ancient Egypt, numerous nations have developed their own forms of flatbread.
Is Mint Tomato Chutney Healthy?
Mint leaves serve an important role in improving digestion, reducing inflammation, and soothing the stomach. They can also improve appetite and treat illnesses such as nausea.
On the other hand, Tomatoes are the main source of lycopene and antioxidant linked to lower heart and cancer risks. They’re rich in vitamins C, folate, potassium, and K. Check out Tamarind Chutney.
How Long Does Mint Tomato Chutney Last?
Keep the mint tomato chutney in the fridge in an airtight container. In the fridge, the chutney will last 3 to 4 days.
Where To Buy Gram Flour?
It’s widely available in international marketplaces and health food stores (many supermarkets sell it).
Friends, let me know if you try this Gram Flour Flatbread (Besan Roti) With Mint Tomato Chutney! Share your thoughts in the comments. Everyone who reads your thoughts and experiences benefits, including me!
What To Serve With Gram Flour Flatbread?
- Jamaican Spicy Curry Potato
- Jamaican Style Chickpea Curry
- Curry Chana
- Curry Cabbage
- Cauliflower Tikka Masala
If you enjoyed this post about Gram Flour flatbread (Besan Roti) and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Energy: 201 kcal / 840 kJ
- Fat: 5.5 g
- Protein: 7.5 g
- Carbs: 30.7 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 6 min
- Ready in: 16 min
- For: 4 Servings
Gram Flour Flatbread
- 1 cup chickpea or gram flour
- 2/3 cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 cup water, or just enough to form a dough ball
- 1 -2 tablespoons avocado oil
Mint Tomato Chutney
- 1 cup Mint leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 chili or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepepr, (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Combine chickpea flour, gluten-free flour, turmeric powder, cumin powder, fenugreek powder, and salt in a large bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, cilantro, and ginger to the chickpea flour mixture and mix. Add the water and form into a dough ball.
- Make round balls out of the dough and roll them into discs with a rolling pin using dry flour.
- Put a nonstick pan on high heat for 2 minutes, then turn the flame down to medium. Roll out a roti/bread and place it on top.
- Toast the bread on both sides until brown spots appear, now brush it with some olive oil so it's nice and toasty brown on both sides. Serve with this mint tomato chutney and vegan yogurt!
How To Make Mint Tomato Chutney?
- Blend all the ingredients with a little water in a blender.
- It should form a paste similar to chutney.
- Balance the flavor by adding a pinch of salt.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve with flatbread.
This Gram flour flatbread looks really phenomenal
So easy and so good 😊
Thank you Usama