FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
What are plantains?
Plantains are not bananas, they are related to bananas.
Plantains are larger, starchier and are typically eaten cooked, fried, boiled or baked.
Bananas are sweeter and typically eaten raw.
Plantains are popular in the Caribbean and in West Africa. I grew up eating plantains and its still a favorite in my home.
I decided to bake them instead of frying. Fried plantains are a popular part of my Jamaican cuisine.
Plantains are sold in most supermarkets in the International section of the supermarkets here in the USA. It is typically larger than bananas.
How To Bake Plantains
- To make baked plantains, make sure your plantains are very ripe, yellow with black spots as shown in the photo above and not green. They should give slightly when pressed and not be firm.
- Peel plantains by cutting the ends off the plantain, cut through the peel from vertically then remove the peel.
- Make diagonal slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place slices on a sprayed baking sheet.
- Spray cooking oil on top of the plantain slices.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees F, until golden brown for 20 minutes turning halfway.
Health Benefits of Baked Plantains
There are only 109 calories in 1 oven baked plantains, they are a good source of Vitamin A, potassium, magnesium and Vitamin B6. Check out more on the health benefits of plantains.
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 109 kcal / 456 kJ
- 1 g
- 28 g
- 5 min
- 20 min
- Ready in:
- 25 min
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F. Lightly spray parchment lined cookie sheet and set aside.
- Using a knife remove the peel of the plantain by cutting off the ends then cut through the skin lengthwise. Remove the skin and slice diagonally into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet, spray the top of plantains with cooking spray and bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway or until plantains are golden brown.