These Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos taste amazing, they will be a hit when you serve them. They are full of flavor and they are vegan and gluten-free!
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
I bought two cans of green jackfruit and I wanted to make a quick and easy recipe because I had less than an hour to leave for an appointment. I decided to make tacos because my family loves tacos whenever I prepare them. I keep a lot of La Tortilla Gluten-Free Wraps on hand so we can always make quick and easy wraps.
Fresh green jackfruit can be purchased from a local Asian or Latino Supermarket, you can find instructions HERE on how to prepare the jackfruit from scratch but I bought the ones in the can. Make sure you get the green jackfruit in brine and not the ripe jackfruit in syrup, the texture and taste are very different.
How To Make Jackfruit Carnitas?
To prepare these flavorful Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos, I first browned the jackfruit in my non-stick pan (you can skip this step if you don't really care about it looking brown), then I made a sauce using onion, garlic, tomato paste, orange and lime juice, oregano, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and liquid smoke for smoky flavor and I used coconut sugar-sweetened and to give a deep caramel color and flavor! The result was amazing, my family loved it and kept asking for more!
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 2 kcal / 8 kJ
- 6 g
- 2 g
- 4 g
- 15 min
- 17 min
- Ready in:
- 32 min
- 2 20 ounces can green jackfruit, in brine
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup orange juice (1 medium orange)
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 6 large gluten-free tortillas, or 8 small
- Toppings, guacamole, red onion slices, cilantro leaves
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet on medium-high, drain jackfruit and pat dry. Add jackfruit and cook until brown and crispy on both sides, about 7-10 minutes.Mash with a fork or potato masher, toss with 1 tablespoon Bragg's liquid aminos and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Heat remaining oil or 1/4 cup of the vegetable stock in skillet on medium high, add onion, garlic and cook until soft, about 3 minutes
- Add oregano, cumin, paprika and cook until fragrant. Stir in tomato paste, orange juice, lime juice, vegetable stock, sugar, liquid smoke, cayenne pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon Bragg's liquid aminos and salt.
- Cook for about 2 minutes for flavors to meld, stir jackfruit in the sauce and continue to cook until sauce evaporates.
- Cook tortillas on a clean dry skillet on both sides, topped with jackfruit, guacamole, sliced onions and cilantro to garnish. Serve immediately