Top your Gluten-Free Vegan Pot Pie with my homemade Gluten-free Vegan Pie Crust or your favorite storebought vegan puff pastry for a delicious vegan chicken pot pie that your family will love.
This Vegan meatless pot pie is the perfect comfort food, warm and hearty dish loaded with veggies for a weeknight meal or holiday dish.
My love for pot pies goes way back to when I was 16 in my pre-vegan days, I lived for 6 months with my brother’s in-laws in England.
During that time his father-in-law worked for the Pot Pie factory, I was introduced to different pies like Steak and Kidney Pie, Chicken Pie, and Bramble Apple Pies.
Green jackfruit as a meat substitute makes this vegan pot pie recipe the perfect substitute for traditional chicken pot pie. This recipe actually tastes better than the traditional version.
If you can’t find jackfruit then you can substitute with marinated tofu or store-bought vegan chicken or just leave it out it will taste just as delicious.
I used Schar’s Gluten-Free puff pastry which I purchased from my local health food store.
How To Make Gluten-Free Vegan Pot Pie
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Heat oil in a large skillet and saute onions, garlic, celery until onion is soft. Add jackfruit Bragg’s liquid Aminos and cook.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and green beans. Stir in nutritional yeast flakes and flour to coat the vegetables.
- Add vegetable broth, vegan bouillon almond milk, herbs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer until potatoes are just about tender. about 10 minutes. Check the seasoning, add salt if needed.
- Scoop filling into a greased 8-inch casserole dish.
- Top with puff pastry sheet or rolled out pie dough and flute the edges. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden and filling bubbly.
Other Must Make Comfort Recipes
- Make the pie crust ahead of time and keep it chilled in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Make sure to get the can green jackfruit in brine and not syrup.
- Substitute Bragg’s liquid Aminos with soy sauce, tamari or coconut Aminos.
- Do not omit the nutritional yeast flakes, I find that the flavor is on point with it.
- Note if you are using green beans, parboil until tender.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 304 kcal / 1271 kJ
- 15 g
- 6 g
- 33 g
- 30 min
- 40 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 10 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup green jackfruit, chopped, (or substitute with tofu or your favorite veggie meat).
- 2 tablespoons Bragg liquid aminos, Tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 cup frozen green beans, or green peas
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes, No substitution
- 1/4 cup all purpose gluten-free flour, (I used Krusteaz brand)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 vegan bouillon
- salt, to taste
- 1 batch gluten-free vegan pie crust, or 1 sheet vegan puff pastry (I used Schar's Gluten-Free Vegan Puff Pastry)
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-high. Add onion, garlic, celery and cook until onion is soft about 3 minutes.
- Stir in jackfruit, Bragg's Liquid Aminos and cook for about a minute. Add potatoes, carrots, peas and stir. Add nutritional yeast flakes, flour and stir to coat vegetables.
- If using green beans, parboil in water until tender. Set aside.
- Add vegetable broth, vegan bouillon almond milk, herbs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer until potatoes are just about tender. about 10 minutes. Check the seasoning, add salt if needed. Add green beans and stir.
- Scoop filling into a greased 8-inch casserole dish. Top with puff pastry sheet or rolled out pie dough and flute the edges. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden and filling bubbly.