This holiday I have been in the mood to bake, I made a delicious Sweet Potato Pie for Thanksgiving that was a big hit, I also wanted to make something with apples, similar to my Apple Crumble Muffins. I decided to prepare Apple Pie with a crumb topping which turned out exceptionally good.
If you haven't made apple pie, it is very easy to make, you can use my recipe for your crust or use store-bought. This is my favorite store-bought Gluten-Free Vegan Pie Crust.
You can also use a variety of tart apples such as Jonagold, Melrose or Winesap and sweet apples in the recipe, such a Gala, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Braeburn. I used a blend of vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg but you can substitute with a blend of cardamom and coriander for a cinnamon substitute.
If you don't have non-dairy butter, then you can substitute with coconut oil (not melted) for the crust, you will find you might need more coconut oil more like 6-7 tablespoons, and add enough cold water to form into a dough.
You will notice that I baked my pie on 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 10 minutes, the reason I slow baked it was to prevent the topping from burning and to make sure the apples were cooked until tender and juicy.
We enjoyed the apple pie served with vegan vanilla ice cream.
- 368 kcal / 1538 kJ
- 20 g
- 4 g
- 46 g
- 30 min
- 1 h 10 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 40 min
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy butter
- 1/4 cup cold water
Apple Pie Filling
- 5 1/2 cups apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch, or arrowroot starch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy butter, (I used Earth Balance brand)
For The Crust
- In a medium bowl, mix gluten-free flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in non-dairy butter until mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add water and mix until the dough comes together into a ball. You might need more or less water so add 1 tablespoon at a time!
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate, roll out dough in between two parchment paper. Remove the top layer of parchment paper. Invert your pie pan, over the exposed dough.Carefully flip the pie pan with the dough on top.
- Carefully press dough into the bottom and sides of the pie plate, flute edges as desired and place in refrigerator until ready
For The Filling
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Toss apples with sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Remove the pie plate from the refrigerator and fill with apple mixture mounding apples towards the middle of the pie plate. Cut non-dairy butter into small pieces and scatter them all over apples.
For The Streusel Topping
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour,non-dairy butter or coconut oil and maple syrup. Sprinkle evenly over the top and bake in the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until pie crust and streusel toppings are golden brown. Cool for about 15 minutes before slicing.