From the crust to the toppings, you will enjoy every bite of this delicious pie. Highlighting the sweet and tropical flavor of coconut, this vegan coconut cream pie is decadent, with a creamy filling and topped with creamy coconut whipping cream and golden toasted coconut flakes.
This recipe is perfect for every occasion. Whether it is a dinner party, holiday dinner, or date night, you can enjoy this delicious pie. This coconut cream pie will bring an instant smile to your face. Also, try Vegan Coconut Bread and Jamaican Coconut Drops.
What is vegan coconut cream pie?
A vegan coconut cream pie is a delicious, creamy, and decadent dessert that is made with 100% vegan ingredients. This pie uses non-dairy ingredients, especially coconut, to bring in the coconut’s sweet and subtle tropical flavor. The main components of this pie include:
- The crust: The pie crust is an essential component as it sets the base for this dessert. You can go for a store-bought pie crust dough or make one from scratch. Whatever you plan to do, make sure the pie crust has the right texture. Once baked, it should perfectly hold shape.
- The filling: The next main component is the filling. This recipe uses coconut cream filling made from coconut cream coconut pulp, maple syrup, organic coconut sugar, cashews, and silken tofu. This filing is creamy, rich, and has a perfect consistency.
- The topping: Lastly, you can top this pie with coconut whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes. The golden color of the toasted flakes makes the pie visually appealing.
Vegan Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
Here is a detailed breakdown of everything you need for this delicious vegan coconut cream pie:
- Pie crust: The perfect pie crust is crispy, firm, and flaky at the same time. You can either use a pre-baked pie crust or make one from scratch. Bake it and let it cool down before using it for the pie. Furthermore, you can also use a no-bake crust made from healthy ingredients.
- Coconut cream: Coconut cream is the perfect substitute for dairy cream. This cream is thick, creamy, with higher fat content. Make sure you use full-fat coconut cream so that the texture and consistency are maintained. Learn What’s The Difference Between Coconut Milk and Coconut Cream?
- Silken tofu: Silken tofu is crumbly, soft, and delicate. It is creamy and a perfect ingredient for puddings and coconut cream pie.
- Coconut pulp: Coconut pulp is actually the white flesh of the coconut that has a nutty, sweet, and mild flavor. It is rich in fiber.
- Coconut oil: A few tablespoons of coconut oil do the job.
- Organic cane sugar: Organic sugar cane adds sweetness to the coconut cream pie. It is a better option than white sugar. You can also use light brown sugar or coconut sugar.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup adds sweetness and has delicious vanilla and caramel-like flavor.
- Cashews: Cashews add richness and depth of flavor and texture to the pie filling. Use soaked cashews and drain water before adding them to the blender.
- Flavorings: Vanilla, coconut extract, and almond extracts add amazing flavors to your coconut pie.
- Salt: I used Himalayan salt.
How to make vegan coconut cream pie?
Step 1: Place the pie crust in a greased pan and adjust the edges using your fingers. Bake the pie crust as per the instructions and once it is golden brown, remove it from the oven and let it cool down.
Step 2: Meanwhile, in a blender, add coconut cream, silken tofu, soaked cashews, and blend at high speed until all the ingredients are perfectly combined.
Step 3: Next, add, sugar, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, almond extract, salt and blend again for a few seconds until the ingredients are well combined.
Step 4: Once the mixture is done, take it out of the blender and mix it with coconut pulp. Make sure to mix it gently.
Step 5: Pour the coconut pulp mixture into the prepared pie crust. Use a spatula to level the filling so that it is spread evenly on the pie crust. Place the pie into the refrigerator for about two to six hours or overnight.
Step 6: Meanwhile, place a frying pan on medium heat and add coconut flakes to it. Dry toast the coconut flakes until they get an even golden color. Don’t forget to stir them constantly. Once they are done, take them out on a plate and let them cool.
Step 7: Once the coconut filling is set, take the pie out of the oven. Pipe coconut whipped cream on top and garnish with toasted coconut flakes.
Step 8: Serve.
Tips for making perfect vegan coconut cream pie
Making coconut pie and coconut cream filling is pretty straightforward; there are a few things you need to keep in mind. These are:
- Make sure you soak the cashews before using them. The more you soak, the creamier they will be. The less you soak, the more granulated they will be.
- When frying the coconut flakes in the pan, Make sure you stir them constantly. Constant stirring will ensure the even color of the coconut flakes.
- If you feel the coconut flavor is too overpowering, you can swap coconut extract with vanilla extract.
- Place the coconut filling in the refrigerator for a few hours. This way, it will firm up and get a thick texture.
Variation for pie crust
You can bake the pie dough as per the requirements and let it cool before piping in the filling. However, if you are looking for a no-bake crust, you can get it as well. I’ll share an exclusive way to make a delicious no-bake coconut pie crust made from 100% vegan ingredients. For this, you will need:
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 6 dates, pitted and halved
- ½ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
All you have to do is add almonds, dates, coconut, and salt to a food processor bowl and process it until you get a crumbly base. Pour in maple syrup and process again until everything is unified. Lastly, spray the pan with cooking spray and add the mixture to the bottom of a pie pan and using a spatula or your hands, even the layer.
How to store vegan coconut cream pie?
Having the leftover coconut cream pie is not a problem. You can store it in the refrigerator, and it is good to go for up to seven days. However, make sure you cover it to avoid spoilage.
Furthermore, you can also make this delicious pie ahead of time or in large batches and freeze it. However, you need to keep in mind that you slice it in advance. Place the slices in a container and freeze. It will last for up to 2 months.
Now that everything is covered let us head straight to the recipe without wasting any more time.
Other Vegan Pies To Prepare
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 378 kcal / 1580 kJ
- Fat: 26 g
- Protein: 6.6 g
- Carbs: 33 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- For: 8 Servings
- 1 Pie crust, pre-baked
- 2 1/2 cups Silken Tofu
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for an hour and drained
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, or agave
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract, or almond extract
- 1/2 cup frozen coconut pulp, or shredded coconut
- In a blender jug, add silken tofu, coconut cream, cashews and blend at high speed until you get a smooth paste.
- Add sugar, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, coconut extract and blend again for a few seconds until all the ingredients are unified.
- Take the mixture out in a bowl and add coconut pulp. Gently fold the mixture to combine coconut pulp.
- Pour the mixture into the baked and cooled vegan pie crust.
- Place the pie in the refrigerator for at least two to six hours.
- Meanwhile, place the frying pan on medium heat and dry toast the coconut flakes until they get a beautiful golden color and are fragrant. Let them cool.
- Once it is set, take it out for the refrigerator, top it with coconut whipped cream.
- Garnish with toasted coconut flakes and serve.