This flavorful Vegan Cheddar Cheese recipe is so yummy, that even the pickiest eater will love it! It is smooth, creamy, sharp and reminiscent of the cheese I grew up eating. This Vegan Cheddar Cheese recipe is so easy to prepare and it actually tastes better than most commercial recipes. It is sliceable, so it is perfect to serve with sandwiches or as an appetizer. I have been wanting to make sliceable cheese for quite awhile after purchasing agar powder from my local Asian market. Agar powder can also be found online here. My cheese sauce recipe from my Vegan Mac and Cheese recipe is so delicious, I decided to make the sliceable Vegan Cheddar Cheese by modifying the recipe. The result was spot on, it was so delicious that even my daughter, who is very picky, loved it. I served it with my Brown Rice Crackers and it was such a delightful treat. To make this Vegan Cheddar Cheese, I blended cashews, water, nutritional yeast flakes, bell pepper, cornstarch, tapioca starch, coconut milk, coconut oil, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt until very creamy. I boiled the agar powder in water and immediately add it to the cashew sauce. I then blend again until smooth. I used a high-speed blender. I then poured the cheese mixture into a mold and refrigerate for a couple hours. Please note: The recipe calls for agar powder, if using agar flakes, use 3 times the amount instead.
- 118 kcal / 493 kJ
- 8 g
- 4 g
- 8 g
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 tablespoons agar powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper , chopped seeds removed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon non-gmo cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch Cayenne pepper , optional
- 10 min
- 2 h
- Ready in:
- 2 h 10 min
- If using a high-speed blender, add water, cashews, bell pepper, nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, coconut milk, coconut oil, tapioca starch, cornstarch, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Mix cold water with agar powder in a saucepan, bring to boil on medium stirring constantly. Remove from heat and immediately add to cheese sauce.
- Process until smooth.
- Pour mixture into an oiled container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Alternatively, especially when using a regular blender, process all the ingredients including agar powder in a blender until smooth. Pour sauce into a non-stick sauce on medium heat whisking constantly until thick and bubbly. Immediately pour into an oiled container and refrigerate for an hour.