Look no further, this is by far the best vegan mac and cheese recipe, it is so reminiscent of my mom’s mac and cheese recipe. This vegan macaroni and cheese recipe is so creamy and flavorful. It is delicious served with Cauliflower Nuggets and Vegan Coleslaw.
It is the only recipe you will ever need. I have been making it for many years and I have served it to thousands of people and it has always been a huge hit. When you are hungry and looking for the perfect comfort dish, this creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese is just the answer!
photos updated: July 22, 2020. Last updated June 26, 2017
Can Vegans Eat Macaroni?
Yes, to be honest, the majority of pasta that is on the market are actually vegan! However, you should make sure you always double-check by reading the labels.
How Can I Make My Macaroni And Cheese Gluten-Free?
To make this recipe gluten-free, make sure you purchase gluten-free pasta. Here in the USA, there are many brands that are gluten-free, even Walmart 365 brand has gluten-free pasta.
I have tried lots of macaroni and cheese recipes over the years and I have been disappointed in most, they are either too tangy, too bland, too dry, or totally miss the mark in flavor! My Vegan Mac And Cheese recipe
- Cheesy – Combination of nutritional yeast or noni juice and coconut milk give this macaroni cheese a cheesy flavor.
- Velvety– Cashews and coconut milk makes it velvety.
- Creamy– Cashews and coconut milk shine here.
- Buttery– Coconut milk helps to give a buttery flavor.
How To Make Vegan Mac And Cheese?
To make this easy vegan Mac and Cheese recipe, prepare pasta according to package directions, meanwhile, blend cashew cheese sauce. Mix with drained pasta, additional ingredients. You can serve as is or bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes.
Note: If you decide to make vegan baked mac and cheese, you will need to make some extra sauce or add extra water/broth so it doesn’t dry out.
I have added optional ingredients that take this already delicious Vegan Mac and Cheese out of this world. Make the Mac and Cheese as instructed in the directions below, then stir in vegan cheese shreds (Daiya or Follow Your Heart brands), mayo (Just Mayo brand), and butter (Earth Balance brand) or cream cheese (So Delicious brand), so yummy! Best served to skeptics and they will be blown away!
Tips For Making The Best Vegan Mac And Cheese
1. If you are in countries where nutritional yeast flakes are not readily available (or you are allergic to it/dislike it) then substitute for the equal amount of noni juice and you will get that cheesy taste. ‘This is what dreams are made of!’
2. All vegan and gluten-free pasta are created equal because some gluten-free kinds of pasta are not firm enough or taste favorable when cooked.
I recommend that you try a few different brands to see which you prefer. I have had great results with Barilla Pasta.
3. You can bake your macaroni and cheese by scooping the cooked recipe in a casserole pan and baking it until it is golden brown.
4. You can substitute the red bell pepper with cooked carrots for a nice orange color.’
5. Substitute the coconut milk with any other unsweetened non-dairy milk like almond, soy. You can also substitute with vegan sour cream, vegan cream cheese.
6. Take your macaroni and cheese to another level, add pieces of sauteed vegan sausage, vegan bacon, broccoli.
Can You Make Vegan Macaroni And Cheese Without Nutritional Yeast Flakes?
Yes, you can, it will taste yummy but it won’t have as much cheesy flavor as the one with the nutritional yeast flakes. Don’t forget to substitute with noni-juice if you want the cheesy flavor and you don’t have nutritional yeast flakes.
How To Store Your Macaroni And Cheese?
Cool your macaroni and cheese completely and place it in a container with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator for 2-3 days if you will be reheating portion size as needed or in a casserole pan is you will be serving it for the entire family or guests or freeze for 3 months in a freezer-safe container.
Is It Ok To Make Mac And Cheese Ahead Of Time?
Yes, it is okay to make yours ahead and place in a casserole pan and store it when it is completely cooled in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
How To Reheat Mac And Cheese?
If you are only needing small portions, remove what you need from the container, place it in a small pot. Add some water or non-dairy milk, about 2 tablespoons, and stir. Cover and reheat on medium heat until completely heated through, stirring periodically.
If reheating the entire casserole pan of mac and cheese, remove from the refrigerator, stir in about 4 tablespoons of water or non-dairy milk, and cover. Bake for about 30 minutes then uncover and bake for 10 more minutes.
Other Non-Dairy Mac And Cheese To Try
- Instant Pot Vegan Chili Mac And Cheese
- Nut-Free Vegan Mac And Cheese
- Cajun Vegan Baked Mac And Cheese
- Sweet Potato Vegan Mac And Cheese
Here Are Some Other Delicious Pasta Recipes For You To Try!
- Creamy Lentil Pasta
- Creamy Basil Pesto Pasta
- Pumpkin Stuffed Shells
- Vegan Alfredo with Vegetables
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
- Noni Juice can be used in place of nutritional yeast if is not readily available.
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 305 kcal / 1275 kJ
- Fat: 13 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Carbs: 41 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- 6 servings
- 8-ounce box elbow pasta or your favorite pasta, ( I used gluten-free pasta)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for a couple hours
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk, (full-fat from the can)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Pinch Cayenne pepper
- parsley flakes, for garnish
- paprika, for garnish
Additional optional ingredients
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package directions until al dente. Drain and return to pot.
- Drain cashews and discard water. In a high-speed blender process cashews, water, coconut milk, nutritional yeast flakes, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, cayenne until smooth and creamy. Add additional optional ingredients for an extra special mac and cheese.
- Pour sauce over pasta and stir to fully coat, add extra salt if needed. Cook on low until thickened.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a greased baking dish and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.