When you are hungry and looking for the perfect comfort dish, my creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese is just the answer! It is the best vegan mac and cheese recipe and it is gluten-free and vegan. Firm pasta smothered in a creamy, velvety cashew cheese sauce with the option to add non-dairy store-bought cheese. 'Now that's what dreams are made of!'
My vegan mac and cheese recipe reminds me of my mom’s macaroni and cheese, that I grew up on, so creamy and flavorful. It is by far the best vegan mac and cheese I have tasted and I have had quite a few.
If you are in countries where nutritional yeast flakes are not readily available (or you are allergic to it/dislike it) then substitute for the equal amount of noni juice and you will get that cheesy taste.
Cheesy – Combination of nutritional yeast or noni juice and coconut milk give this macaroni cheese a cheesy flavor.
Velvety- Cashews and coconut milk makes it velvety.
Creamy- Cashews and coconut milk shine here.
Buttery- Coconut milk helps to give a buttery flavor.
How To Make Vegan Mac And Cheese
To make this easy vegan Mac and Cheese recipe, prepare pasta according to package directions, meanwhile, blend cashew cheese sauce. Mix with drained pasta, additional ingredients. You can serve as is or bake.
Note: If you decide to make vegan bake mac and cheese, you will need to make some extra sauce or add extra water/broth so it doesn't dry out.
I have added optional ingredients that take this already delicious Vegan Mac and Cheese out of this world. Make the Mac and Cheese as instructed in the directions below, then stir in vegan cheese shreds (Daiya or Follow Your Heart brands), mayo (Just Mayo brand), and butter (Earth Balance brand) or cream cheese (So Delicious brand), so yummy! Best served to skeptics and they will be blown away!
Here Are Some Other Delicious Pasta Recipes For You To Try!
Noni Juice can be used in place of nutritional yeast if is not readily available.
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 305 kcal / 1275 kJ
- 13 g
- 9 g
- 41 g
- 10 min
- 10 min
- Ready in:
- 20 min
- 8-ounce box elbow pasta or your favorite pasta, ( I used gluten-free pasta)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for a couple hours
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk, (full-fat from the can)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Pinch Cayenne pepper
- parsley flakes, for garnish
- paprika, for garnish
Additional optional ingredients
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package directions until al dente. Drain and return to pot.
- Drain cashews and discard water. In a high-speed blender process cashews, water, coconut milk, nutritional yeast flakes, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, cayenne until smooth and creamy.
- Pour sauce over pasta and stir to fully coat, add extra salt if needed. Cook on low until thickened.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a greased baking dish and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.