When you are hungry and looking for the perfect comfort dish, my creamy Vegan Macaroni and Cheese is just the answer! Gluten-Free, vegan pasta smothered in a creamy, velvety cashew cheese sauce with the option to add non-dairy store-bought cheese. 'Now that's what dreams are made of!'
This recipe reminds me of my mom’s macaroni and cheese, that I grew up on.
If you are in countries where nutritional yeast flakes are not readily available (or you are allergic to it/dislike it) then substitute for the equal amount of noni juice and you will get that cheesy taste.
Cheesy – Combination of nutritional yeast or noni juice and coconut milk give this macaroni cheese a cheesy flavor.
Velvety- Cashews and coconut milk makes it velvety.
Creamy- Cashews and coconut milk shine here.
Buttery- Coconut milk helps to give a buttery flavor.
Note: If you decide to bake it, you will need to make some extra sauce or add extra water/broth so it doesn't dry out.
I have added optional ingredients that take this already delicious Vegan Mac and Cheese out of this world. Make the Mac and Cheese as instructed then stir in vegan cheese shreds, mayo, and butter or cream cheese, so yummy! Best served to skeptics and they will be blown away!
Here are some delicious pasta recipes for you to try!
Noni Juice can be used in place of nutritional yeast if is not readily available.
Come and join our informative, supportive, inspiring Facebook group Vegan Recipes With Love to help you stay motivated on your journey. Our members share lots of recipes, health benefits of foods and tips! Bring your friends too!
- 305 kcal / 1275 kJ
- 13 g
- 9 g
- 41 g
- 8-ounce box elbow pasta or your favorite pasta , ( I used gluten-free pasta)
- 1 cup raw cashews , soaked for a couple hours
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk , (full-fat from the can)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper , chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion , chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt , or more to taste
- Pinch Cayenne pepper
- parsley flakes , for garnish
- paprika , for garnish
Additional optional ingredients
- 10 min
- 10 min
- Ready in:
- 20 min
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package directions until al dente. Drain and return to pot.
- Drain cashews and discard water. In a high-speed blender process cashews, water, coconut milk, nutritional yeast flakes, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, cayenne until smooth and creamy.
- Pour sauce over pasta and stir to fully coat, add extra salt if needed. Cook on low until thickened.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a greased baking dish and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.