This delicious pasta is comfort food at its best. Its spring and asparagus are in season, they are at their peak. I also added fresh peas and bell pepper, for added nutrition and flavors!
Asparagus are loaded with nutrients, they are a very good source of fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as chromium, a trace mineral that enables insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells.
They contain glutathione, a detoxifying compound that helps break down carcinogens and protect the body from harmful compounds like free radicals. They help to prevent and fight certain types of cancer, such as breast, colon, lung and bone. They contain high levels of the amino acid asparagine, which acts as a natural diuretic, removing excess fluid from the body along with excess salts; especially beneficial for those suffering with hypertension and heart disease. Asparagus contain many anti-inflammatory nutrients, such as asparagus saponins and the flavonoids rutin, quercetin, rutin, and isorhamnetin, which all help to fight against autoimmune disorders such as arthritis and asthma. There are many gluten free pastas on the market, I love to use brown rice pasta but you can use whichever you prefer.
- 16 ozs gluten-free pasta , (Penne or Rigatoni)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound asparagus , trimmed and cut into 1 inch diagonal slices
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper , cut into strips
- 1 cup green peas , fresh or frozen
- 1 cup cashews , soaked for couple of hours and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon onion , chopped
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes , (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt , to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 10 min
- 15 min
- Ready in:
- 25 min
- Cook pasta according to package directions. For the last 3 minutes add asparagus, bell pepper and green peas to boiling water and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain using colander and set aside. Place cashews, water, onion, garlic, yeast flakes, and salt in a blender. Process until smooth, scraping down sides.
- Transfer sauce into a large saucepan, cook stirring constantly on medium heat until thickened. Stir in pasta, vegetables, dried herbs to fully coat with sauce. Delicious served with salad!