It is the first day of Fall and time for all the pumpkin goodness! This delicious pumpkin stuffed shell recipe will be a great addition to your Thanksgiving menu, especially for all your guests who love pasta dishes. Don’t forget to save the recipe. I guarantee that there won’t be any leftovers.
Since it’s pumpkin season, I will also mention that there are so many varieties of pumpkins around this time of year. It’s fun trying the different ones. If you haven’t tried the Jamaica version as yet, you should really be adventurous and do so.
It’s delicious in soups and stews and it tends to be firmer and sweeter. I used it to make this delicious version of Jamaican Pumpkin Soup that is a guaranteed to tantalize the pickiest taste buds. Also, try my Mediterranean Pumpkin Pizza for the children and Pumpkin Cheesecake.
How To Make Pumpkin Stuffed Shells
Daevyd loves pasta in all forms so he asked me to make him stuffed shells. He also wanted to help me prepare them so I allowed him to help me with filling.
I added some pumpkin puree to the filling knowing that Daevyd wouldn’t mind me doing so because the color reminds him of cashew cheese which he loves. I also figured that this was such a great way to add Vitamin A plus several other beneficial nutrients to his diet.
I wanted to actually bake the stuffed shells it in a pumpkin flavored cashew sauce but Daevyd requested pasta sauce instead. Well, I gave in since he agreed to the pumpkin puree being added to the filling, plus he helped me to prepare it. We were both happy!
- Energy: 310 kcal / 1296 kJ
- Fat: 9 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Carbs: 50 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- 5 servings
- 8-ounces jumbo pasta shells
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked with water for at least an hour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Pumpkin Tofu Ricotta Filling
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil on medium-high heat. Add the shells and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain and toss with olive oil.
To Make Cashew Sauce
- To prepare cashew sauce. Place cashews, water, yeast flakes, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt in a high speed blender.
- Process until smooth and creamy,You may need to add extra water.
To Make Pumpkin Tofu Ricotta Filling
- Drain and rinse tofu and place into a large bowl, mash with a fork, potato masher or hands.
- Stir in cashew cream, pumpkin puree, basil and parsley.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- To assembly shells, spread pasta sauce on the bottom of baking dish, about 1 cup.
- Fill each shell with pumpkin ricotta and line baking dish.
- Garnish with extra pasta sauce and parsley.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 25- 30 minutes.
- Enjoy with a salad!