This is easy to prepare Black Eyed Peas Curry Recipe that is so simple yet flavorful. It melts in your mouth with the warming spices and it is very hearty, perfect to serve on a chilly night. Both stovetop and 'no soaking' Instant Pot versions are included. Serve a bowl of this curried black-eyed peas with rice, quinoa, roti or cauliflower rice.
Black Eyed Peas Curry is a popular Indian curry recipe but I always do mine with a Caribbean twist/flavor. The result to the adapted black-eyed peas Indian curry recipe is so amazing.
This is one of the earlier recipes that I share on here, it was first written February 27, 2013. I realized it needed some TLC so I decided to remake the recipe, add some updated photo and include my quick and easy 'no soak' Instant Pot method.
Growing up in Jamaica, making and eating curries is an integral part of our culture. Curry goat or chicken is served at most of our formal gatherings. Since becoming vegan, I have made so many curry vegetable and bean recipes that taste amazing!
My family enjoyed eating my Black Eyed Pea Curry recipe, that my husband couldn't stop commenting on how flavorful it was. He said all that was missing was some roti because I served it with rice, string beans, and a salad.
How To Make Black Eyed Peas Curry
This simple Black Eyed Peas curry requires everyday ingredients that are found in most kitchens. Onion, garlic, ginger, tomato are sauteed then curry powder, cumin, turmeric, thyme, and pepper added, Finally black-eyed peas, vegetable broth and salt are added and allowed to cook into a hearty, thick curry.
To make a delicious curry recipe that is very flavorful, it is important to start with a good curry powder blend. My favorite blend is Chief. If you are fed up of trying curry recipes that fail miserably then try this brand.
How To Make Black Eyed Peas In The Instant Pot Using The 'No Soak Method'?
Making Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Curry is a breeze in an Instant Pot. I basically set the Instant Pot on Saute. Heat oil and add onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, thyme and saute until vegetables are soft. Add curry powder, cumin, and turmeric and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Next, I add the washed black-eyed peas, vegetable broth. Turn off saute mode, cover the Instant Pot, close the pressure valve by turning the vent on sealing and press Manual Mode(High Pressure) for 20 minutes. Allow naturally manual release for 10 minutes, then release vent to release remaining pressure. The pin will drop so you can open the lid.
- 205 kcal / 857 kJ
- 8 g
- 13 g
- 30 g
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger , grated
- 1 medium tomato , chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup dried black eyed peas , soaked for 4 hours
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- 10 min
- 1 h 10 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 20 min
Stove Top Method
- Skip if using the 'no-soak method' in Instant Pot. (Instructions following) Remove debris from beans, then rinse and place into a large bowl adding cold water to cover (at least 2 inches above beans). Soak for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- The following morning, drained water using a colander and rinse beans thoroughly.
- Place drained beans in a large saucepan, add 4 -5 cups water and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 1 hour until beans are tender. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of liquid from the cooked beans.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and add onion, garlic, green onions, ginger, and saute until onion is softened, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato and thyme, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, and cook until fragrant. Add black eye peas along with vegetable broth and stir. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to simmer. Cook, uncovered to thicken, for 15 minutes while stirring.
The Instant Pot Method
- Wash and drain black-eyed peas and set aside. Remove the lid of the Instant Pot and press the sauté button. Heat oil and add onion, garlic, spring onion, ginger. and saute until onion is soft about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato and thyme, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, and cook until fragrant. Add black eye peas along with vegetable broth and stir.
- Turn off saute mode, cover the Instant Pot, close the pressure valve by turning the vent on sealing and press Manual Mode(High Pressure) for 20 minutes. Allow naturally manual release for 10 minutes, then release vent to release remaining pressure. The pin will drop so you can open the lid. Check seasoning and serve.