This is not health food but vegan junk food that tastes so good. For those who are craving fried chicken, this recipe will certainly satisfy your cravings and leave you wanting more. There are several commercial vegan chicken products on the market but now you get to make your own in the comfort of your kitchen.
I have made Baked Tofu Nuggets, Baked Cauliflower Nuggets but today I'm going out of my norm to share with you my vegan fried chicken, I must say that I didn't use a lot of oil, I used these non-stick pans to cook my vegan chicken.
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a large fruit that originates from South India, it is now grown in African and the Caribbean. The fruit is the largest tree growing fruit in the world and
the fruits can weigh up to 100 pounds. Jackfruit is green, oblong with bumpy skin with string yellow flesh surrounding a creamy yellow bulb that is sweet and tastes like a banana/mango/pineapple when ripened.
The unripened green jackfruit has a cream colored flesh and is firm, it is now popular here in the USA as a meat substitute because it soaks up the flavors of herbs and spices. Its stringy flesh when cooked makes it a perfect substitute for pulled pork or shredded chicken.
Where Can I Purchase Jackfruit?
Jackfruit can be found whole, in slices, frozen, or in cans at Asian, Caribbean or Latino grocery stores or in health food stores. I prefer to use the cans, you can find them on Amazon.
To make the vegan chicken, I use young green jackfruit,
How To Make Vegan Chicken Nuggets?
- Drain jackfruit and place in a skillet with vegetable broth, garlic, and salt.
- Cook jackfruit on medium-high until liquid evaporated has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegan buttermilk and set aside.
- Prepare the breading.
- Dip a piece of jackfruit in the buttermilk then dredge it with the breading to coat. Repeat until all the jackfruit is coated with the breading.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high, add breaded jackfruit pieces and cook until brown, turn over pieces and cook until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towel and serve while hot.
- 167 kcal / 698 kJ
- 1- 20 ounces cans of young jackfruit, in brine
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup all purpose gluten-free flour, (I used Krusteaz brand)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 15 min
- 30 min
- Ready in:
- 45 min
To Prepare The Jackfruit
Drain jackfruit and place in a large skillet with vegetable broth, garlic, and salt. Cook jackfruit over medium-high until the liquid evaporated has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
To Prepare The Vegan Buttermilk
Mix almond mil and lemon juice in a medium bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
To Prepare The Breading
Dip a piece of jackfruit in the buttermilk then dredge it with the breading to coat. Repeat until all the jackfruit is coated with the breading.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high, add breaded jackfruit pieces and cook until brown, turn over pieces and cook until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towel and serve while hot.
Combine, flour, cornstarch, yeast flakes, onion powder, ground paprika, smoked paprika, baking powder, ginger, parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper and salt in a large bowl and set aside.