To make these Tofu Nuggets, you’ll only need a few ingredients. They’re a hit with the kids, and they’re crispy on the outside! Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce at parties, movie nights, or snack time. They are absolutely irresistible!
Who could say no to crunchy, dipping-friendly bites? It’s unthinkable! Especially when they’re homemade and far healthier than deep-fried snacks.
Baked Tofu Nuggets can be made without any oil, or you can use a small amount for an amazingly golden crust. They’re a hit with both the little ones and the big ones!
They are definitely a great crowd pleaser and a good way to introduce tofu to those who are unfamiliar.
These Kid-friendly Tofu Nuggets are a winner in my home. My son loves these crispy bites and requests them at least once a week. How can I refuse? My children love them with barbecue sauce or ketchup.
If you’ve ever craved chicken nuggets but are now vegan, vegetarian, or simply trying to eat less meat, this recipe is a must-try!
These crispy, baked tofu nuggets are delicious to enjoy chicken nuggets without the meat! This recipe is one of my favorites because it’s so easy to make and because you can easily freeze the leftovers if you make a large batch.
Simply reheat and eat whenever you want!
Meatless nuggets made from vegan and vegetarian ingredients are already widely available in supermarkets. However, such prepared foods are frequently costly and/or contain unusual ingredients, which I believe are not particularly healthy. That is why, when I have the opportunity, I prefer to cook everything from scratch. This way, you’ll always know what’s in your meals and can tailor them to your preferences.
Also, check out, Baked Onion Rings, Cauliflower Nuggets, and BBQ Cauliflower Wings.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
What Are Vegan Chicken Nuggets?
They remind me of chicken nuggets or popcorn chicken, but they are way healthier and delicious without the guilt. You can substitute the brown rice flour with cornstarch. If you prefer to fry them, that is okay; it is up to you, they taste great, the choice is yours!
I have been making these Baked Tofu Nuggets for over 10 years, and we never get tired of them.
A Recipe For Tofu Skeptics!
This recipe is extremely simple to make, making it ideal for those new to the vegan diet or for those interested in giving it a try. If you like chicken nuggets, you’ll enjoy this nutritious whole-food alternative. This is one of my favorite recipes of all time!
If you aren’t sure about tofu, try making tofu chicken nuggets to see how you like it! Tofu can be difficult to make properly, which is why you may have tried it previously and disliked it. I recommend that you try it again. I’m confident you won’t be disappointed if you try my baked tofu nuggets recipe.
What Is Tofu?
Tofu is a soybean card-based product. It’s naturally gluten-free and calorie-free. It doesn’t have any cholesterol and is high in iron and calcium.
Tofu is made by coagulating soy milk curds. Tofu is made by pressing and compacting curds into gelatinous white blocks.
People who are vegans and vegetarians should eat it because it is a good source of protein. Online and in health food stores, tofu can be purchased.
Tofu’s Health Benefits
Tofu is a great source of protein that contains all of your body’s essential amino acids. It also contains carbohydrates, fats, and numerous vitamins and minerals.
Tofu, like the majority of plant foods, is high in antinutrients. These compounds are found naturally in plant foods and lower your body’s ability to absorb nutrients. In addition, tofu contains phytates and trypsin inhibitors, both of which are antinutrients. Antinutrient content is reduced when soybeans are soaked, sprouted, or fermented before being made into tofu.
Isoflavones, which are found in all soy products, including tofu, are thought to be the primary contributor to the health benefits of tofu. Isoflavones can act as both estrogen agonists and estrogen antagonists. These may aid in the prevention of certain cancers, cardiovascular disease, and osteoporosis.
According to experts, tofu’s combination of fiber, protein, and isoflavones may be a cause for its heart-health benefits. This may also be why whole soy foods like tofu seem to be better for lowering cholesterol than soy supplements.
According to research, tofu may help prevent cancers of the breast, gut, and prostate. Additional research, however, is necessary before making specific recommendations.
Tofu’s high isoflavone content may help with bone mineral density, brain function, menopause, and depression symptoms.
Overconsumption, on the other hand, may pose some risks.
Reasons To Prefer These Seasoned Baked Tofu Nuggets:
- Gluten-free, nut-free, and dairy-free.
- Ideal for toothless babies – On the outside, they’re slightly crunchy; on the inside, they’re soft. They taste incredible – they’re perfectly seasoned.
- Rich in protein derived from plants
- It can be served as a snack, lunch, or dinner
- Baby-led weaning or the finger food stage
- Cut into squares, strips, or any shape you want with a cookie cutter.
- Family-friendly – so delicious that you’ll want to eat them too
egan chicken nuggets are so easy to prepare, and the taste is indulgent that even the most critical guest will be blown away by the results. First of all, I only buy super-firm tofu because I hate to press the water out firm or x-firm tofu.
They are more expensive, but when I’m cooking, for the most part, I prefer quick and easy recipes; that’s just how I am. So I now purchase my Super-Firm Tofu from Trader Joe’s. Once you try super-firm tofu, you will never go back; the texture is amazing!
If you cannot get super-firm tofu near you to make these Baked Tofu Nuggets, then you can use a tofu press (purchase online) to squeeze out excess water, or you can wrap tofu in a paper towel and place it on a plate.
Next, put another plate on top of the tofu block and add a heavy object on top, such as heavy books on top of the plate. The time it takes to drain the excess water depends on the weight on top of the plate. So it could take half an hour or a couple of hours.
Cut tofu into cubes, prepare the breading and set aside. Toss tofu with Bragg’s liquid Aminos followed by vegan mayonnaise, and finally with the breading. Lay in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake until crisp.
Tips For Making Tofu Nuggets
- Choose extra-firm or super firm tofu. For this recipe, if you used medium or soft tofu, it might fall apart when you mixed it with breading or tried to turn the nugget. It’s easy to make nuggets out of firm tofu that’s been frozen, thawed, and then pressed.
- Press excess water from the tofu
- Marinate tofu in Bragg’s Liquid Aminos for at least 20 minutes.
Options For Serving
These baked tofu nuggets are a great source of vegan protein and make a great snack.
Alternatively, serve as follows:
- Salads such as the Cobb salad, Caesar salad, or any other salad
- Besides pasta with a vodka sauce or carbonara, you can have things like lemon pasta or broccoli pasta.
- Platter of vegan smoked salmon appetizers
- Rancho Vegano
Of course, substitutions are possible. I’d like to show how you can swap out certain ingredients in this section.
If you do not want to use tofu, substitute another protein. Chickpeas and chickpea tofu can also be used.
Chickpea tofu is simple to make at home.
To do so, you’ll need:
- 5 cup chickpea flour (150 g)
- a quarter cup (300 ml) of water
- 1 teaspoon bouillon powder (chicken)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
Then, in a pot, bring half the water (150ml) to a boil.
In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and the remaining water.
Now, add the mixture of chickpea to the hot water and cook on low heat, stirring constantly. Approximate time: 7 minutes.
Now, reshape the mass into a rectangle or another shape. Smooth the mixture out. It is preferable to chill it overnight, but at least for 2 hours.
Storage And Freezing Of Baked Tofu Nuggets
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator and then reheated in the oven or microwave for a few minutes until warm and crispy. I also enjoy them cold, on top of sandwiches, or wrapped in tortillas or burritos. Additionally, you can double the recipe if you want to make a large batch of these to freeze. It’s actually quite simple to make your own vegan tofu nuggets, even if they’ve been frozen! While the baking time will vary slightly when frozen, they still make an excellent meal or snack!
- If you can’t find liquid amino, you can use low-sodium soy sauce instead. Before you add the tofu, taste it to make sure it isn’t too salty, then add the tofu and mix well. Coconut aminos can also be used instead.
- If you do not have a tofu press, here’s how I like to press tofu. Wrap the tofu in paper towels, then wrap it in a kitchen towel. The kitchen towel will be much easier to clean and will not contain any tofu pieces. Wrap it around the baby like a blanket. Your new food baby is tofu. Place a heavy pan, such as a cast-iron skillet, on top. Then stack two more books on top of it. Leave it to press for about 30 minutes, keeping it balanced, so it doesn’t fall off. Kitchen towels should be wet with water from tofu, and tofu should be smaller. You can now go ahead and use it. This improves the absorption of flavors and gives the tofu a wonderful texture.
Can I Fry Tofu Nuggets?
I’ve never tried frying these nuggets because I’m confident baking will yield excellent results. If you want to shallow fry, then I’m sure they’d be just as good. But, they wouldn’t be as healthy.
I’ve heard great things about using an air fryer for low-fat frying. If anyone tries this method of making tofu nuggets, let me know how it goes!
Tofu Nuggets Without Breadcrumbs?
Yes, tofu nuggets can be made without breadcrumbs! Because of the rice flour and nutritional yeast flakes, these are gluten-free. If you’re trying to avoid simple carbohydrates like breadcrumbs, this is a great low-carb recipe to try.
Are Tofu And Paneer The Same Thing?
Paneer and tofu may appear to be the same thing, but they are not. Paneer is a type of cheese, whereas tofu is a type of soy product. They are, however, both vegetarian protein and calcium sources with mild flavors and soft textures. As a result of this, they can be substituted for one another in some recipes.
Is It Possible To Eat Raw Tofu?
Even though tofu comes in different textures (silken, firm, and extra firm), you can eat them raw. Drain off any extra liquid from the package of raw tofu before you eat it. Tofu should be stored properly to prevent the growth of germs on any leftovers.
Other Related Vegan Recipes To Try
Friends, Let me know if you try these delicious Baked Tofu Nuggets! Share your thoughts in the comments. Everyone who reads your thoughts and experiences benefits, including me!
If you enjoyed this post about Baked Tofu Nuggets and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Categories: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Courses: Appetizer, Entrée, Main Course, Side Dish, Snack
- Cuisine: American
- Energy: 203 kcal / 849 kJ
- Fat: 8 g
- Protein: 20 g
- Carbs: 14 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- For: 5 servings
- 1 pound super-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon Bragg's liquid aminos, Tamari soy sauce (gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo, (optional)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of Cayenne pepper, (optional)
- If using firm or x-firm tofu, press tofu between paper towels to remove excess water. Then cut into strips or cubes and marinate with Bragg's liquid aminos for 20 minutes. (If you are using the vegan mayo, mix it with the Bragg's liquid aminos and coat it with the tofu. Then you will proceed to coat with dry ingredients as follows.)
- In another bowl combine the remaining ingredients well. Coat tofu with dry herb mix and place on a greased baking sheet. You may spray with oil at this point.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 30 minutes turning halfway. You may also cook on a lightly oiled frying pan until golden and crispy.
- Tossing the tofu with vegan mayo allows the breading to stick much better.
These were SO good, and so quick and easy! Even my meat eating husband LOVED them, and said to save this recipe and make them again! We served them with mashed potatoes and salad. Mmmmmm. Next we will make them for a snack with a dipping sauce! Thank you!
To freeze do you freeze before or after baking? And do you find freezing effects the tofu’s consistency?
Yes freezing tofu before gives a spongy, chewier consistency. You can see if you prefer the frozen texture.
I love these tofu
Thank you!!! This recipe is perfection, and sooooo easy. We used regular all-purpose flour, but otherwise followed exactly, and it will be a much-repeated recipe in our house. Incredible comfort food. Served with mashed potatoes and sauteed spinach and it was *chef’s kiss*. Thanks again!
This looks beautiful and yummy
I love everything about this recipe and how it looks
These turned out so good!! Our new fave!! The seasoning/breading was bang on!! I upped the salt because I usually find tofu kind of bland and needing more salt….not taking into account the soy sauce marinade (whoops) so they were a little salty but my fault lol.
Krisgen, I’m so happy you enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing your feedback, yes my recipes are for the most time spot on with the amount of salt and right blend of seasoning, so it is best to follow the recipe exactly as written and then adjust accordingly after the dish is cooked. I hope you try my other tofu recipes.
Can you sub cornstarch for the flour?
Yes you can Mel, I hope you enjoy it.
Absolutely delicious. Made this in the air fryer, at 390 for 15 minutes, came out real crispy. I also substituted millet flour instead of rice flour or cornstarch
T that’s so wonderful, I’m so happy it turned out great for you. Thank you for sharing your feedback.
I’d like to add this to a hummus veggie wrap for a heartier meal. Do you think this would work well in it or is it best served alone with a dip
It will work exceptionally well, enjoy!