I love to make these Baked Onion Rings, they remind me of fast food without all that grease. Believe me, these were gone as soon as I served them! They are easy to prepare and the spice blend is just perfect. You will just have to make a batch to understand what I’m talking about. You won’t be disappointed at all.
I first mixed unsweetened almond milk with tapioca starch, this mixture will make sure that the dry mixture will stick to the onion rings. I used a blend of cornmeal and brown rice flour mixed with a spice blend for a crisp coating, You can substitute with gluten-free panko crumbs. Obviously, you won’t get exactly the same crisp finish as deep fried.
Thick slices of onions are separated into rings, dipped in the almond milk mixture, then into the gluten-free breading mix and then transferred to a prepared baking sheet. I then sprayed the onion rings with an oil spray and then bake to perfection. I suggest that you eat them immediately but seriously there won’t be any leftovers. Save the remaining breading mix in your refrigerator for making a second batch. They taste delicious served with ketchup!
- Energy: 199 kcal / 832 kJ
- Fat: 2 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Carbs: 39 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- 4 servings
- Preheat oven at 450 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper and coat with oil.
- Slice onion circles about 1/2 inch thick and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix milk and tapioca starch and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl combine brown rice flour, cornmeal, yeast flakes, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt.
- Dip each onion ring into milk then into dry mix and transfer to baking sheet and repeat until all are coated.
- Spray battered onion rings with cooking spray or brush with oil and bake for 15 minutes being careful they don’t burn.
- For best results brush with oil, if you want them to look just like the photo above. Also you have to eat them right away!
YOU HAVE TO SPRAY OR BRUSH THESE ONION RINGS WITH OIL IN ORDER FOR YOUR ONION RINGS TO LOOK LIKE THE PHOTO. I HAVE MADE THEM COUNTLESS TIMES WITH THE SAME RESULTS. I GUARANTEE 100% THAT THEY TASTE THE SAME AS FAST FOOD OR EVEN BETTER MINUS THE GREASY MESS AND HEALTH CONCERNS!