This recipe was first posted August 31, 2012
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
So I decided to update one of my family's favorite spinach rice side dish with new photos and more introduction. I would consider myself an expert at cooking brown rice.
I have cooked brown rice from scratch for my family of 4 and for over 100 people in the past 6 weeks at various catering events and I never used measurements and the texture always comes out just right.
Like my Jollof Rice, Turmeric Coconut Rice and my Jamaican Rice And Peas recipes, this spinach rice recipe is perfect for a large crowd or for picky eaters. I prefer to use long grain brown rice like basmati or jasmine rice for this dish, they are not as sticky as short grain rice.
How To Make Spinach Rice
To make Spinach Rice, process spinach, cilantro, coconut milk, in a blender. In a large pot heat oil on medium-high and add onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, cumin cook until soft. Stir in rice to coat, add vegetable broth and salt. Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to low and cook for about 50 minutes or until rice is tender and fluffy.
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 283 kcal / 1183 kJ
- 19 g
- 7 g
- 23 g
- 10 min
- 50 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- Wash brown rice using a colander, drain and set aside. Add spinach leaves, cilantro, coconut milk to a blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Add onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook stirring until onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add curry powder and cumin and cook until fragrant.
- Add Spinach puree and stir, add rice and stir to coat. Add vegetable broth and salt. Cover saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 50 minutes or until rice is tender and fluffy when stirred with a fork.