If you are like me, I love regular potato fries but potato fries don’t love my waistline. I eat them mostly baked in the oven but for my birthday I visited one of my favorite Jamaican restaurants in town. We ordered Jamaican Jerk fries for our table and it tasted so good, it was gone in minutes. I said to myself that I had to recreate the recipe when I get home.
Here are some of my favorite oven fries:
Jamaican Jerk seasoning is one of my favorite flavors from growing up in Jamaica so it was no challenge to me. My concern was more to recreate it with a more healthier spin.
I decided to use butternut squash instead of regular potatoes, I also decided to bake them instead of deep frying. The taste was out of this world! It was slightly crisp on the outside and melt in your mouth soft on the inside. The Jamaican Jerk seasoning was not too hot but just the right hint of spiciness, but you can leave out the heat completely and the taste will be just as phenomenal.
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Ready in: 50 min
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheet.
- Peel butternut squash and cut in even strips, toss with oil and place in a large bowl
- In a separate smaller mix all the seasonings.
- Toss seasonings with fries evenly to coat.
- Place fries on baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes or until crispy!
- Deliciously served with ketchup or on its own.