Most people consider soups intimidating, time-consuming and settle on eating soups from a can, carton, or restaurant. This Autumn Squash Soup is such a game-changer.
Not even going to lie, I’m also one of those people, but this easy butternut squash soup recipe will change your mind. Some other easy ones are Vegan White Bean Soup, Vegan Potato Leek and Carrot Soup and Vegan Cabbage Soup.
Autumn Squash Soup
Amazing soup that is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner that will be enjoyed by the entire family and it is ready in under 30 minutes.
The spices are what make this creamy butternut squash soup recipe so special. I added some of my Jamaican curry powder, and no this is not a curried butternut squash soup!
But the curry powder (and a few other spices) gives the flavor a complexity that cuts the sweetness and creaminess.
I have made this butternut squash soup several times, differently every time. If you don’t have vegetable broth, you can use bouillon or similar ingredients, and just add water.
If you don’t have your usual non-dairy milk for drinking, add some canned coconut milk, or just more cream cheese. On the other hand.
You could probably use coconut cream (unsweetened) instead of non-dairy cream cheese. Now mind you, I haven’t tried this, but worst-case scenario, the soup is just a bit thinner.
You can also use sweetened vanilla milk without it affecting the taste since this is already a sweet soup.
Can I Use Frozen Butternut Squash To Make Soup?
If you can’t find fresh butternut squash, use frozen, which is what I had to do this time. It tasted just as amazing! In short, this butternut squash soup is very forgiving.
Is Panera Autumn Squash Soup Vegan?
The Panera butternut squash soup is vegetarian, but unfortunately not vegan. I decided to make a copycat Panera autumn squash soup so that all the vegans can enjoy it too because it’s too good not to share.
Is Butternut Squash Soup Gluten-Free?
I’m not sure if the original autumn squash soup is gluten-free, but this vegan butternut squash soup recipe is.
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients?
- Butternut Squash
- Pumpkin Purée
- Apple juice
- Vegetable Broth
- Cream cheese
- Non-dairy milk
- Your choice of oil
How to Make Butternut Squash Soup?
I sauté my onion in coconut oil for an infusion of flavor, add my uncooked vegetables, liquids, and spices, bring to a boil, then simmer. Once my squash and carrots are soft, I add my creamy ingredients and sugar, then blend. That’s all, folks!
What is a Substitute for Butternut Squash?
You can try almost any winter squash, such as acorn squash, kabocha squash, or sugar pumpkins. Experiment and find your favorite!
What are Some Butternut Squash Recipes?
- Butternut Squash Coconut Curry
- Black Bean Butternut Squash Stew
- Jamaican Jerk Butternut Squash Fries
- Roasted Radicchio and Butternut Squash Salad
What are Some Other Soup Recipes?
This vegan butternut squash soup recipe is definitely going to be your new favorite. It is quick, easy, and uses common ingredients.
For Healthier Steps Soups And Stews Cookbook check HERE.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 390 kcal / 1630 kJ
- Fat: 17 g
- Protein: 41 g
- Carbs: 53 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- For: 6 Servings
- 1 yellow onion, medium
- 2 lbs butternut squash, cubed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of cardamom
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, (see notes)
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp organic cane sugar
- salt, to taste
- In a large pot over medium low heat, add coconut oil and saute onions until soft.
- Add squash, carrots, pumpkin, vegetable broth, apple juice, and spices to pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add coconut oil, cream cheese, milk, sugar, and salt to taste. Use an immersion blender, or blend in batches until creamy.
- If you’re in southern America, Publix has a great 15 oz bag of frozen butternut squash that is definitely time saving and tastes great.
- Make sure your vegetable broth is actually vegan.
- You can try apple cider instead of apple juice when you make this in the fall.
- Use vegan butter instead of coconut oil for an even more decadent flavor, or if you don’t like coconut flavor.