Vegan Cabbage Soup Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Green Onions
- Thyme, Parsley, Basil
- Green Cabbage
- Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- Bay Leaf
Cabbage Health Benefits
Cabbage is very healing and detoxifying on the body. It has compounds that rid the body of excess fluids transporting toxins along with it.
Cabbage also helps the body by lowering blood sugar, reducing tumors and strengthening the immune system.
It is rich in sulfur, sulfur helps the liver to detoxify and eliminate toxins. Read more here on the health benefits of cabbage.
How To Make Cabbage Soup?
Cabbage soup is warm, hearty, satisfying and has a cleansing effect on the body. I made mine using only water but feel free to use 2 veggie bouillons or broth for a boost of flavor, I guarantee that it will taste mind-blowing.
It is so easy and healthy for the soup detox diet and will help you with your diet plan. It is also hearty with lots of veggies that you won’t feel like you are missing starches.
If you are like me I think my vegan cabbage soup is very flavorful and satisfying, as is and I can eat it daily while I’m detoxing.
Make your own Vegetable Broth. I love to prepare my vegan cabbage soup, not only is it healthy and economical but it can be very delicious when cooked with lots of flavors. I have even added dumplings and it takes it to the next level.
Tips For Making Vegan Cabbage Soup
- Bay leaf is added to prevent gas, you may also add epazote herb or a piece of kombu seaweed.
- I don’t recommend that you only consume cabbage soup, but you can include it as a part of your low-fat diet, high fiber diet.
I love to make soups and stew from simple ingredients. Please check out more of my delicious soup recipes:
- Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- Jamaican Gungo Peas Soup
- Jamaican Pumpkin Soup
- Split Peas Soup (Vegan)
- Potato Leek Carrot and Zucchini
- White Bean Soup
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 1 tbsp olive oil, (or 1/4 cup water for sauteing)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped, white & green parts
- 2 carrots, cut in circles
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 lb green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 quarts water, or vegetable broth or 2 bouillon cubes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt, omit if using vegetable bouillons
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, green onions, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in carrots, thyme, parsley, basil, and cabbage.
- Cook for another 2 minutes. Add water or broth, bay leaf, yeast flakes, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to heat to simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve!
I added the bay leaf to prevent gas, you may also add epazote herb or a piece of kombu seaweed.
I don’t recommend that you only consume cabbage soup, but you can include it as a part of your low-fat diet, high fiber diet.