Delicious Roasted Cabbage Steaks, thick slices of cabbage rubbed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme and roasted until tender and juicy. Perfect main dish or side for St. Patricks day!
Here in Florida, the fields are laden with mature cabbages. It is so pretty to drive by miles and miles of cabbage, along with kale, mustard greens, beets etc. I'm always trying to find unique ways of preparing cabbage.
Growing up my mom would cut a whole cabbage in 4 thick wedges and steam with chopped onions, garlic, and herbs in a large pot with a little oil and water. It would cook until the water disappeared and the onions were caramelized.
When I first made it for my hubby this way, he was blown away by the delicious sweet taste and he fell deeper in love with cabbage. He also loves when I make Curry Cabbage, Vegan Cabbage Soup, and my Cabbage Ball recipes.
I made this Roasted Cabbage Steaks once before and I didn't like the results, I roasted the cabbage steaks and they weren't tender to my liking. This time I wanted them to be tender and juicy and melt in your mouth delicious.
So, I seared the cabbage steaks to keep the texture on the outside crisp and golden brown and the moisture on the inside. I then slow roast then covered in the oven for 35minutes. Then I roasted them uncovered for another 5 minutes. These were so tender and delicious.
So, if you miss preparing corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's day, now that you are eating plant-based meals, then this recipe is just for you! If you looking for a creative side dish then this recipe is ideal. It is easy to prepare and tastes amazing with my simple herb blend of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.
I am so excited to start a new facebook group, sharing lots of delicious vegan recipes, health tips etc. from our members, please join us at Vegan Recipes With Love! If you tried this recipe, please comment below and let us know how you like it. Also, please follow us on Instagram!
- 10 min
- 50 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss cabbage slices with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Combine parsley. sage, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle cabbage slices with seasoning blend.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Lightly cook cabbage slices for 4 minutes turning halfway until looking golden brown.
- Place cabbage slices in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Cover with a second layer of parchment paper, followed by foil paper.
- Roast for 35 minutes covered or until cabbage steaks is tender when fork is inserted. You can uncover and roast for an additional 5 minutes. Serve immediately.