Spruce up your holiday menu with this delicious Mashed Potatoes With Caramelized Onion or better yet enjoy it year round as the perfect side dish. These fluffy and creamy mashed potatoes will keep your guests coming for more!
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
I first had mashed potatoes with onions and coconut milk six years ago when I was very ill and recuperating from bowel surgery. My son Daevyd was about 6 weeks old and Nastasia would come in the afternoon to take care of him.
She would sing beautiful lullabies in Russian to him and would make the best vegan mashed potatoes I ever had. They had sauteed onions and coconut milk and I was blown away by how creamy and buttery they were.
How To Make Mashed Potatoes With Caramelized Onion
I wanted to replicate Natasia’s delicious mashed potato, so I decided to caramelize the onions to bring out their natural sweetness and added coconut milk for a rich creamy flavor.
Yukon gold potato is my favorite potato to use for making mashed potatoes because it has a natural buttery taste, but you can use Russet or whatever you have on hand.
Place peeled potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Bring to boil on medium-high heat, reduce to simmer for about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes using a colander.
Transfer to a large bowl, add vegan butter, coconut milk, salt and mash potatoes until they are smooth and creamy. Mix in caramelized onions and green onions.
Other Potato Recipes To Try:
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Cuisine: American
- Energy: 134 kcal / 560 kJ
- Fat: 4 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Carbs: 22 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 35 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- 10 servings
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat, add onions and saute stirring occasionally to prevent burning for 15-20 minutes (may add additional water or vegetable broth to saute onions).
- Place water in a large pot, add potatoes and bring to boil on medium-high. Cover pot and reduce heat to a simmer and boil for 20 minutes until tender.
- Drain water using a colander, transfer the potatoes to a large bowl.
- Add vegan butter, coconut milk, and salt and mash potatoes until they are smooth creamy.
- Stir in caramelized onions, green onions and serve immediately.