Jerk Cauliflower Steak
What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word “steak.” Most of us think of beef or chicken steak, but there is a lot more to steak than red or white meat/ believe it or not, you can also make a steak out of vegetables. Yes, Jerk Cauliflower Steak! That’s right. See also Roasted Cabbage Steak and Tofu Steak With Chimichurri Sauce.
For all those vegans out there, here is a delicious cauliflower steak recipe. You might love cauliflower steak and might be making it already, but this recipe is different. It is inspired by a Jamaican spice mixture known as the Jerk Sauce. It is flavorful, full of heat, and heartwarming. In short, it is the best thing you can do for your cauliflower steak!
Here is everything you need to know about jerk cauliflower steak.
What Is Jerk Cauliflower Steak?
A cauliflower steak is a type of vegan steak that uses a head of cauliflower. It is marinated in spices of your choice and is either baked or roasted. Either way, it is a delicious and heart-warming dish. Plus, it is a perfect dish that works as a main course and side dish as well. The reason these are called steaks because as you cut the cauliflower from the stem all the way downwards through the florets, the piece resembles a steak.
What is jerk seasoning paste?
Jerk seasoning is a famous seasoning that is made from a combination of several spices. This seasoning is native to Jamaican cuisine, and it is widely used in their cuisine on a daily basis. It has a unique flavor and is super convenient. You can use a jerk seasoning in almost everything. Whether it is for the marination of meat or vegan dishes, a jerk seasoning is very versatile.
Jerk seasoning is a blend of spices like thyme, chili, cayenne, cinnamon, clove, black pepper, all-spice, etc. you can grind these spices to get a powder and save it in a dry and airtight jar.
Although the spice mix is originally in powder form, you can also make a paste out of it. A paste is more or less a diluted version of the spices. It is easy to use, and you can rub it on any ingredient you like.
Can You Make Jerk Seasoning Paste At Home?
Now the thing about jerk seasoning is that you can easily find it at the store. You just have to search for it in the international aisle. However, with the store-bought spice mix, you can change the ingredients according to your liking. For instance, if you like less heat or don’t appreciate the overpowering flavor of the cloves, you can’t do anything about it. Whereas, if you make your own spice mix at home, you can create several combinations and prepare a version of Jerk Spice Mix that you absolutely love.
So, you can definitely make jerk seasoning mix at home. For that, you just have to gather the right spices, grind them and store them in a spice jar. Furthermore, you can also make a paste from these spices. For making a paste, you just have to dilute the spice mixture. In a bowl, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of water. Next, add in the spice mixture and mix well until you get a paste. It is by far the easiest way of preparing jerk seasoning paste for your roasted cauliflower steak.
Another way of preparing jerk seasoning paste includes ingredients like fresh garlic, fresh ginger, scallions, scotch bonnet chile, thyme, brown sugar, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and water. Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until you get a fine paste.
Benefits Of Cauliflower
Cauliflower is not just delicious and versatile, but it has several health benefits as well. Here are a few to name:
- Cauliflower is super rich in fiber. As a result, it is good for your digestive tract. It promotes healthy bacteria in the gut that helps in reducing inflammation and also prevents constipation.
- It is also rich in antioxidants, especially in isothiocyanates and glucosinolates. These two antioxidants are particularly known for reducing cancer. These not just reduce inflammation but also kill cancerous cells.
- Because cauliflower is low in calories, it also aids in weight loss. Furthermore, eating cauliflower also makes you feel fuller for longer.
- It is also high in water. As a result, it airs in weight loss and helps you stay hydrated all day.
- It is also rich in a compound known as choline. This helps in the development of the brain and produces more neurotransmitters. As a result, it helps to keep your nervous system healthy.
Ingredient Breakdown For Jerk Cauliflower Steak
Making jerk cauliflower steaks is super simple. You need simple ingredients that are always available in your pantry. To make a baked cauliflower steak, you will need the following ingredients:
- Cauliflower: the main ingredient is the cauliflower. All you have to do is cut the cauliflower into steaks, and that’s all.
- Jerk seasoning paste: jerk seasoning is a wholesome and flavorful paste. You can prepare it by your own self or get one from the grocery store as well. It gives the cauliflower the depth of flavor it needs. It is spicy, tangy, zesty, and weirdly tasteful.
- Olive oil: you need olive oil to roast or bake your cauliflower steak. Although olive oil works just fine, you can use coconut oil as well.
How to make Jerk Cauliflower Steak?
Making cauliflower steak is the easiest thing ever! You won’t find a recipe easier than this one. Here are a few simple steps you have to follow for making roasted cauliflower steaks.
Step 1: Firstly, you can cut the cauliflower head. You can get about three steaks from a head of cauliflower. You can do that by holding the stem upwards and cutting all the way downwards through the florets.
Step 2: Next, in a bowl, add olive oil, pink Himalayan salt, and jerk seasoning paste. Mix well until everything is combined.
Step 3: line a baking tray with parchment pepper and place a cauliflower steak on it.
Step 4: Using a brush or your hands, spread the mixture to both sides of the cauliflower steaks.
Step 5: Place the baking tray in a pre-heated oven at 425-degree F for about 40 minutes. When halfway into the cook, flip the cauliflower steak so that it cooks evenly.
What to serve with cauliflower steak?
Cauliflower steak is not just delicious but is super versatile. Whether you enjoy it as a main course or as a side dish, you can eat it with almost everything. Here are a few ideas for you to try!
- Vegetables: You can serve cauliflower with roasted vegetables. Create a delicious blend of roasted vegetables and fill your plate with colors.
- Mashed potatoes: Creamy, smooth mashed potatoes may go well with a non-vegan steak but also go well with a vegan cauliflower steak as well.
- Vegan Gravy: Smother your cauliflower steak with this mouthwatering gravy.
- Lentil stew: enjoy cauliflower steak with delicious lentil soup and get some protein.
- Vegan Chili: you can also pair it with beans soup or even bean chili.
- Salsa: serve the cauliflower steak with salsa and indulge in the tanginess and punch of tomatoes.
- Garden salad: you can also serve it with a garden salad. Whatever vegetables you feel like using, you can use.
What are you waiting for? Let’s get straight to the recipe and learn how you can make this delicious cauliflower steak at your home!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 168 kcal / 702 kJ
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Carbs: 12.6 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 40 min
- Ready in: 50 min
- For: 4 Servings
- In a small bowl, add olive oil, jerk paste, and pink Himalayan salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Wash and dry the cauliflower head. Turn the stem side up and cut using a sharp knife downwards all the way through the florets. Cut three steaks of equal width.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place the steaks on the baking tray and rub the prepared jerk marinade on both sides using a brush or your hands.
- Flip the steaks halfway into the cook so that they are cooked evenly.
- When the stem is tender, remove the steaks from the oven and serve hot with your favorite continen