You may ask, what is chimichurri?
Chimichurri is a flavorful uncooked green sauce from Argentina and Uruguay made from parsley, oregano, olive oil, garlic, vinegar, and red pepper flakes.
Many variations are done, which may include, cilantro, cumin, paprika, thyme, lemon, and basil. It is traditionally used for grilled meats, where it either used as a marinade, spooned on grilled meat while cooking or served as a condiment.
For tofu with a great texture, purchase a high protein tofu that has a label that says super-firm. Super-firm tofu is exactly that, it doesn't require any squeezing of excess water nor pressing. However, if it is not available, then the extra firm will work.
Remove tofu from the carton, discard liquid. Place tofu between paper towels or dish towel and rest on a plate. Place something heavy (a book or a skillet) on top of tofu for at least an hour. The weights help to release the water and the towels will absorb it. This will ensure a firmer and chewy texture.
Next slice tofu into thick slices, brush marinade and allow to marinate for about 20 minutes, bake tofu while preparing the chimichurri. Once tofu is baked then serve with chimichurri.
- 1 kcal / 4 kJ
- 1 g
- 6 g
- 6 g
- 10 min
- 30 min
- Ready in:
- 40 min
- 1 pound super-firm tofu, sliced in 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons Bragg liquid aminos, or Tamari, or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly brush with oil or spray. Set aside. Drain, press tofu (if not super-firm) and cut on the narrow side into about 8 slices.
- Combine Bragg's liquid aminos, maple syrup, sesame oil, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, nutritional yeast flakes, cumin and thyme in a small bowl and mix well.
- Brush marinade on tofu slices and allow to marinate for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the chimichurri sauce.
- To prepare the avocado chimichurri, add cilantro, parsley, onion, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, avocado, oregano, cayenne pepper and salt to a high-speed blender or food processor and process until smooth or chunky.
- Place tofu slices onto baking sheet and brush with oil. Bake for 30 minutes turning halfway. Serve tofu topped with avocado chimichurri.