This delicious tofu steaks with avocado chimichurri are so easy to prepare and flavor. This stunning dish is perfect for a special dinner for
You may ask, what is chimichurri?
Chimichurri is a flavorful uncooked green sauce from Argentina and Uruguay made from parsley, oregano, olive oil, garlic, vinegar, and red pepper flakes.
Many variations are done, which may include, cilantro, cumin, paprika, thyme, lemon, and basil. It is traditionally used for grilled meats, where it either used as a marinade, spooned on grilled meat while cooking or served as a condiment.
I love to prepare tofu as a meat substitute for my delicious Smothered Tofu Chicken, Teriyaki Tofu, and my General Tso’s Tofu.
How To Prepare Tofu Steaks With Avocado Chimichurri?
For tofu with a great texture, purchase high protein tofu that has a label that says super-firm. Super-firm tofu is exactly that, it doesn’t require any squeezing off excess water nor pressing. However, if it is not available, then the extra firm will work.
- Remove tofu from the carton, discard liquid.
- Place tofu between paper towels or dish towel and rest on a plate.
- Place something heavy (a book or a skillet) on top of tofu for at least an hour. The weights help to release the water and the towels will absorb it. This will ensure a firmer and chewy texture.
- Next slice tofu into thick slices, brush marinade and allow to marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Bake tofu while preparing the chimichurri. Once the tofu is baked then serve with the chimichurri sauce.
What To Serve With Your Tofu Steaks With Avocado Chimichurri?
- Garlic Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Broccoli Salad
- Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Kabocha Squash
- Quinoa Tabouli
Other Amazing Vegan Tofu Recipes To Try
- Tofu Broccoli Skillet
- Tofu Fries Recipe
- Tofu Tikka Masala
- Vegan Tofu Meatballs
- Marinated Tofu Fried Rice
We love to see the recipes that you make on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook Here
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes
- Categories: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Argentinian
- Energy: 172 kcal / 719 kJ
- Fat: 15 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Carbs: 6 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- For: 8 Portions
- 1 pound super-firm tofu, sliced in 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons Bragg liquid aminos, or Tamari, or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly brush with oil or spray. Set aside. Drain, press tofu (if not super-firm) and cut on the narrow side into about 8 slices.
- Combine Bragg's liquid aminos, maple syrup, sesame oil, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, nutritional yeast flakes, cumin and thyme in a small bowl and mix well.
- Brush marinade on tofu slices and allow to marinate for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the chimichurri sauce.
- To prepare the avocado chimichurri, add cilantro, parsley, onion, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, avocado, oregano, cayenne pepper and salt to a high-speed blender or food processor and process until smooth or chunky.
- Place tofu slices onto baking sheet and brush with oil. Bake for 30 minutes turning halfway. Serve tofu topped with avocado chimichurri.
This was AWESOME! The Tofu marinade was fantastic and the chimichurri sauce, OH MY HEAVENS!!! I was in heaven! I am going to triple the sauce and use it on chicken and even as a dip for veggies. Hands down the best tofu marinade I have had so far. I am new to tofu due to new dietary restrictions, and have been scared to death to try new ideas. This one hit it out of the park for me. Thanks so much for the recipe and I can’t wait to try others you have!
Mischa, I’m so happy it turned out great for you. I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
Wow! This was delicious. I’ve cooked a lot of tofu in my life, and this is probably the tastiest I’ve ever had. We served it over rice noodles. Both the chimichurri and the tofu marinade would go well with all kinds of other dishes. Thank you Michelle! I look forward to trying some of your other recipes.
Joe, I’m so happy you enjoyed it. Sounds great served with rice noodles. Thank you for sharing your feedback.
I do meal prep for local families and this recipe was an absolute favorite! I’ve been asked to make the sauce on a regular basis and offer it a la cart. The chimichurri is perfect for this meal, but just as delicious as a sandwich spread and direct chip dip. So good and a great way to use up quickly ripe avocados. A+
This was seriously amazing!! I didnt want to brush my teeth before going to bed because I wanted to keep the flavor in my mouth! I made it with basmati rice! Looking forward to cook it again!
Wow Jg, love your feedback, you have me cracking up!!! Thank you.
This was delicious!!! My male friend loved this! I used what I had at the house so I used smoked paprika. It added a great flavor. My chimichurri ended up being more of a pesto. I added some leftover pistachios and spinach. It still turned out delicious. Thank you for this recipe.
Niki, I love that you and your friend loved it. Love your variation of the chimichurri sauce. Thank you very much for your response.
These are absolutely delicious. The chimichurri sauce is insane. It’s one of my favorite sauces and it just works so perfectly with the tofu in that marinade. It’s perfect, if you ask me. Thank you for this. It’s already made it into my weekly rotation.
Cassie, thank you very much for your feedback, I’m so happy you love it!
I’m cooking for 1 and tend to have for several days. How long will chimichurri last in fridge for leftovers?
Gerry it should last you at least a week refrigerated.