This General Tso's Tofu Recipe tastes amazing! It is easy to prepare, healthier and is so much better than any takeaway!
This was one of my favorite dishes at the Vegetable Garden Restaurant in Rockville, Maryland. This is my version of the wonderful dish. I baked the tofu instead of deep frying them, which I prefer not to do. I used tahini paste as the base for a batter, you could use your favorite nut butter instead. It gave a nice deep fried finish at the end. It is sweetened with maple syrup instead of sugar and you can add molasses for a darker color.
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos , Tamari/soy sauce (gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons unsulphured molasses , or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup , or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger , grated
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper , (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- 25 min
- 35 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Squeeze excess water from tofu by placing it between 2-3 paper towels and putting something heavy on top of tofu for about 20 minutes. In the meantime prepare the batter and sauce.
- Mix together the first five ingredients for the sauce and set aside (water, molasses, tapioca starch, lemon juice, maple syrup, and sesame oil).
- For the batter: In a medium bowl, combine tahini paste, Bragg's liquid aminos, lemon juice, cornstarch, and water. Mix well to form a smooth paste.
- Cut tofu into cubes and dip into batter to coat. Place battered cubes onto well-greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crisp, turning halfway. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and green onions. Cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add sauce mixture and cook stirring until it thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add baked tofu and stir to fully coat with the sauce. Stir in broccoli and serve immediately. Delicious with steamed rice.