Amazing General Tso’s Tofu is so easy to prepare, it is healthier and better than takeout! You will save money when you prepare it at home. Seasoned and baked tofu with a flavorful sauce has the ideal balance of sweet and savory!
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
General Tsao Veggie Chicken was one of my favorite dishes near me at the Vegetable Garden Restaurant in Rockville, Maryland. I fell in love with it ever since I ate it and wanted badly to make it at home. I don’t recall eating General’s Tso’s Chicken but the veggie version was amazing. Since eating gluten-free, I decided to make a version using tofu.
How To Make General Tso Tofu
To prepare General Tso Tofu, prepare the batter and sauce in two separate bowls. Drain tofu and squeeze excess water, cut tofu into cubes and coat with the batter. Transfer battered tofu cubes onto a prepared baking sheet and bake until crispy.
My secret for the best texture is to purchase super firm tofu which has little water and holds its shape well. It is best for cubing. My favorite tofu superfirm brand is Trader Joes high protein tofu.
While the tofu is baking, I prepare the garlic, ginger and green onions. I saute them in oil, add sauce mixture and cook stirring constantly until thick. Stir in baked tofu cubes to coat and serve with cooked rice and broccoli.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 218 kcal / 911 kJ
- Fat: 13 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Carbs: 22 g
- Preparation: 25 min
- Cooking: 35 min
- Ready in: 1 h
For The Batter
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter, or tahini paste
- 3 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos, Tamari/soy sauce (gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
For The Sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch, or cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
To Prepare Tofu
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Squeeze excess water from tofu by placing it between 2-3 paper towels and putting something heavy on top of tofu for about 20 minutes. In the meantime prepare the batter and sauce.
- For the batter: In a medium bowl, combine tahini paste, Bragg's liquid aminos, lemon juice, cornstarch, and water. Mix well to form a smooth paste.
- For the Sauce, mix together water, molasses, tapioca starch, lemon juice, maple syrup, and sesame oil.
- To Prepare Tofu, cut tofu into cubes and dip into batter to coat. Place battered cubes onto a well-greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crisp, turning halfway. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and green onions. Cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add sauce mixture and cook stirring until it thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add baked tofu and stir to fully coat with the sauce. Delicious served with steamed broccoli and rice.