Bored with the traditional mashed potato recipe? Are you looking for something different to revive and excite your tastebuds? How about you try Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes for dinner instead of the traditional mashed potatoes?
Vegan mashed sweet potatoes are rich, creamy, and delicious. The dish is savory with a touch of sweetness from the sweet potatoes. The dish is made from non-dairy ingredients and is 100% vegan friendly. You can serve it alongside your main course and enjoy the many health benefits of the dish. It is very simple and effortless to make. It will take no more than 35 minutes to get it done.
Before we get to this simple recipe, let’s talk a little more about sweet potatoes and how to make this simple dish.
If you love sweet potatoes, you will definitely love Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries and Vegan Sweet Potato Pie.
Are sweet potatoes and regular potatoes the same?
Because the work potatoes are common in both, most people think sweet potatoes and regular potatoes are the same. They think that the sweetness of sweet potatoes comes from a slight mutation in the regular potatoes. However, it is not true at all! Despite being root vegetables, the two have several differences. Here are a few:
- Family: Sweet potatoes come from a different plant family. They are from the morning glory family, whereas regular or white potatoes are from nightshades.
- Skin: Sweet potatoes have dark brown skin, which is not smooth and is a bit rough. However, the skin of regular potatoes ranges from light brown to red and even a shade of gold and yellow.
- Appearance: Where regular potatoes are round to oval in shape, sweet potatoes are a bit longer. They sometimes have tiny roots on them and have a more rustic appearance.
- Flesh: The flesh of sweet potatoes is bright orange. However, you may also find purple or red-colored varieties as well. In contrast, regular potatoes usually have white flesh.
- Nutrition: Although both are nutrient-rich but sweet potatoes are known to be far more nutritious than white or regular potatoes. Sweet potatoes contain more minerals, vitamins, and fiber.
- Flavor: Sweet potatoes have a sweet flavor. Whereas regular potato is more savory.
Benefits of sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are known to be very rich in nutrients. They are a superfood that offers many health benefits. Here are a few to name:
- Sweet potatoes are rich in dietary fiber. As a result, they promote gut health and regulate your bowel movements. They also protect the digestive system by preventing and revealing constipation.
- Sweet potatoes contain several antioxidants that protect thethe body against chronic diseases like cancer. They do that by eliminating the free radicals in the body that cause damage to the organs.
- These contain vitamin a and beta-carotene that protect your eyes from damage and improve vision. Furthermore, vitamin a also improves the body’s immunity.
- It also improves the functioning of the brain and also prevents mental decline.
- These are also high in vitamin c.
- Sweet potatoes also contain minerals like manganese, potassium, and copper.
Vegan mashed sweet potatoes are very easy to make. You need three simple ingredients which are easily available in every grocery store and even in a kitchen pantry. These ingredients are:
- Sweet potatoes: Sweet potatoes are readily available in every grocery store or farmer’s market. When buying sweet potatoes, make sure you choose the ones that are firm to touch. They shouldn’t have wrinkled skin. Moreover, avoid the ones that have dark spots or have cracks. Also, choose even-sized sweet potatoes. I prefer medium ones. You will need to wash the sweet potatoes to get rid of dirt, peel them, wash them again, and cut them into equal cubes.
- Vegan butter: You can choose any vegan butter for this purpose. I prefer almond butter.
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk is known for its smooth consistency and richness. Make sure you choose unsweetened coconut milk. You can also use soy milk or almond milk for this recipe.
- Maple syrup: Adds a subtle boost to the sweetness.
- Salt: Add salt to bring in a savory flavor. For more flavor, add black pepper as well.
How to make vegan mashed sweet potatoes?
Making vegan mashed sweet potatoes is very simple. Try this amazing recipe at home, and I bet you and your loved ones will love this new zing of flavor.
Here are a few steps you have to follow:
Step 1: Start by preparing the sweet potatoes. Do that by peeling the skin off and cutting them in equal cubes.
Step 2: Fill a pot with water and add salt. Bring it to a boil over medium heat. Once it starts to boil, add sweet potatoes and cook them for 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are done. You can check the doneness by using a fork.
Step 3: once the sweet potatoes are cooked through, drain them and place them in a large bowl.
4: Add vegan butter, maple syrup, salt and pour in coconut milk.
Step 5: Using a fork or a potato masher, mash the potatoes until you get a smooth consistency. You can also use a hand blender. You can adjust the consistency by adding more milk to the sweet potatoes.
Step 6: Serve.
Other ways of cooking sweet potatoes?
There are so many different ways of cooking sweet potatoes. Here are a few to name:
- Stovetop: there are two ways you can cook sweet potatoes on the stovetop. The first one is by oiling, and the other is by steaming. We have already discussed how to boil sweet potatoes. You can steam them in a steamer or by placing a colander on a pot with boiling water. Place the sweet potatoes in a colander and cover. Make sure the sweet potatoes don’t touch the water. Steam until they are done.
- Instant pot/pressure cooker: instant pot or pressure cookers are amazing products that can reduce the cooking time to half. You can cook the sweet potatoes in an instant pot for about 16 minutes at high pressure. Don’t forget to add a little water.
- Oven: you can roast the whole sweet potatoes as well. Place them on a baking tray after scrubbing and dry roast them. Although you will get a smoky flavor, the cooking will take longer.
How to store vegan mashed sweet potatoes?
You can store the leftover mashed sweet potatoes by placing them in an airtight container and storing them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure they are at room temperature before you store them.
You can also freeze the mashed sweet potatoes. Place the leftovers in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
You can reheat the leftover mashed sweet potatoes either in the microwave or on the stove.
Here are a few ways through which you can add more flavor to this simple dish:
- Skin: To give the sweet potatoes a more rustic flavor and appearance, you can leave the skin on. The skin of sweet potatoes is thin, and therefore you can eat it as well. However, make sure you scrub the sweet potatoes so that there is no dirt on them.
- Spices: To bring more flavor, add paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, etc., to the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Nuts: You can garnish the dish with chopped walnuts.
- Herbs: Bring aroma and flavor by adding either fresh or dried herbs like thyme, oregano, or rosemary.
What to serve mashed sweet potatoes with?
There is no hard and fast rule for serving mashed sweet potatoes. You can simply replace it with mashed white potatoes and enjoy. These go well with almost everything. You can serve it with roasted vegetables, cauliflower steaks, stir-fry tofu, or vegan curries. Whatever you choose to serve it with, the slightly sweet and savory flavor of the mashed sweet potatoes will compliment everything well.
Here is a quick recipe for this amazingly simple yet tasteful mashed sweet potato recipe.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes To Prepare:
- White Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Vegan Purple Sweet Potato Pudding
- Roasted White Sweet Potatoes
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding
If you enjoyed this post about The Best Spices and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Categories: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Seasons: Christmas, Thanksgiving
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- For: 4 Servings
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Butter, ( I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, for garnish
- In a large pot, add water. Place it on medium heat and bring it to a boil.
- Add a teaspoon of salt and sweet potato cubes.
- Cook the sweet potatoes for 30 minutes or until they are soft.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and place them in a large bowl.
- Pour in coconut milk. Add vegan butter, maple syrup and salt.
- Using a potato masher or a form, mash the sweet potatoes until you get a smooth consistency. You can add more milk to adjust its consistency.
This has great benefits: especially about the chronic disease part.
thank you for showing the benefits of sweets potatoes
i love the benefits of sweets potatoes