When you are out of ideas, what is your ‘go-to vegetable’? The one that you can make a thousand times without getting tired of eating it? Is it peas? Or carrots? Or even broccoli? Well, everyone might have a different answer, but my go-to vegetable is the “potato.” See Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding and Mashed White Sweet Potato.
Yes, the cute little things with the brown or orange exterior. Potatoes come in so many different types, and you won’t even believe them. Although we all are familiar with the famous russet potatoes, sweet potatoes, or even purple potatoes (because of their unique color) but not many know that sweet potatoes also come in another form.
For today’s recipe, we bring to you a unique dish that is utterly delicious, satisfying, and a perfectly healthy meal option for you if you are bored with your regular potatoes or sweet potatoes.
Interested much? Read ahead!
What are sweet white potatoes?
White sweet potatoes are a type of sweet potatoes. You can think of them as a mixed breed. They have the shape of a sweet potato but the interior of a russet potato.
Where the regular sweet potato that we all know and love so dearly has dark brown skin and an orange interior, the sweet white potatoes are nothing like these. Although their shape resembles sweet potato on point, they have lighter skin, more like a russet potato.
As you cut into these, you will see not orange flesh, but light-colored almost white-like flesh. However, the texture of the potatoes is almost like the typical sweet potato. It can be a bit dry and crumbly to some, but it’s on the same road as the orange sweet potato.
What does sweet white potato taste like?
Most people don’t like sweet potatoes due to their strong earthy and sweet flavor. So, for them, sweet white potatoes are the perfect option; their flavor profile indicates that it lies somewhere in between sweet potatoes and russet potatoes.
Although it is less starchy than russet potato, the flavor is a bit mild too. Thanks to that, it is a perfect ingredient for both sweet and savory dishes. So, if you find the sweetness of orange sweet potatoes overpowering, white sweet potatoes are definitely your thing!
What are the health benefits of sweet white potatoes?
Like orange sweet potatoes, white sweet potatoes are also a very healthy option. But you have to keep in mind that the nutritional benefits are a bit less as compared to orange sweet potatoes. However, these are still a better option than starchy potatoes. Here are a few benefits of white sweet potatoes:
- Firstly, they are low in calories. Just like orange sweet potatoes, they are a perfect option for you if you are looking for a low-calorie ingredient.
- White sweet potatoes are rich in fiber and low in starch. Thus, they promote your gut health.
- These are rich in beta-carotene. As a result, they promote healthy vision. Thinking of doing something for your eyes? Start eating sweet potatoes!
- White sweet potato is also sufficient in vitamin A. Vitamin A helps in improving and strengthening your immunity system.
- Although white sweet potatoes don’t have a high content of anti-oxidants like orange or purple sweet potatoes, they contain some amount which makes them worthy of being a part of your diet.
How to cook sweet white potatoes?
Thanks to the fact that you can use white sweet potatoes as sweet and savory, there are so many ways you can cook them. In fact, you can cook them the same way as you treat sweet potatoes or your russet potatoes. Because they are “potatoes,” you can do anything with them, and they will taste great. Here are a few ways to cook white sweet potatoes:
- Roasted sweet white potatoes: You can roast them in your oven. Cut them into wedges, coat them up in your favorite oil and seasonings, and roast them just like your other vegetables.
- Baked sweet white potatoes: Baked potatoes are delicious and simple. So, wrap your white sweet potatoes in aluminum foil and place them in the oven. Once done, sprinkle salt and pepper and enjoy a delicious and simple dish!
- Mashed white sweet potatoes: I love mashed potatoes. Their creamy texture is divine. And because the white sweet potatoes are mildly sweet, they make a perfect mashed potato.
- Boiled white sweet potatoes: And when you don’t feel like cooking anything at all, simply boil them to enjoy their unique mild flavor and nutrients. Also, it makes these a perfect choice for baby food as well.
- Air-fried white sweet potatoes: Thinking potatoes French fries? White sweet potatoes are at your service. Treat them just like you treat any other potato for French fries. Air fry them to get rid of oil and fat. They taste mildly sweet and very delicious. Perfect for kids and adults, you can eat them with your favorite dips and vegan sauces.
How to make roasted white sweet potatoes?
Making roasted white sweet potatoes is relatively easy. Especially when you are having a weekend and planning a nice dinner date or party, this does perfectly s a side dish with your Cabbage Steak! Here is what you have to do to make this delicious dish:
Step 1: Firstly, you have to wash the white sweet potatoes to get rid of the dirt on them. Pat them dry and place them whole on a baking tray. Fill the tray up with water. Now place the tray in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Note that you don’t have to cook them through. The purpose is to soften them up a bit.
Step 2: as the potatoes are baking away, and you can start by preparing the garlic and rosemary oil. For this, you have to heat olive oil in a frying pan along with rosemary sprig and smashed garlic. Let it ripple for a few minutes on low heat until you start smelling the fragrance of garlic and rosemary. Make sure you don’t burn the ingredients. You just have to fry them a bit so that their natural flavor and aroma are released and infused in the oil. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.
Step 3: Once the potatoes are partially done and are cool enough to handle, cut them into wedges of about 2-inch thickness. Pour two tablespoons of prepared oil, rosemary from the oil, and pink salt. Mix well.
Step 4: Grease the baking tray with the same oil and place wedges on its skin side down. Place the baking tray in a preheated oven at 425-degree F. Cook for about 30 minutes or until they get a nice golden-brown color.
How to serve white sweet potatoes?
There are so many ways to serve white sweet potatoes. Here are a few ideas to help you get creative:
- You can eat the white sweet potatoes as a snack. They taste perfectly well with a dip of your choice. A perfect treat for game day!
- If you are planning a fancy dinner for your loved one, add White Sweet Potato Stew, along with other roasted vegetables.
- Planning a Christmas dinner or a holiday dinner, roasted white sweet potatoes are a perfect side. They taste so delicious with every ingredient.
Vegan Sweet Potato Recipes
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Mac And Cheese
- Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
- Maple Roasted Brussel Sprouts And Sweet Potato
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love
- Energy: 239 kcal / 999 kJ
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Carbs: 30.5 g
- Cooking: 1 h
- Ready in: 1 h
- For: 4 Servings
- In baking, tray place washed dried whole white sweet potatoes and added water so that the surface of the tray is covered.
- Place the baking tray in a preheated oven at 350-degree F for about 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Make sure the potatoes are soft from the outside. They should be semi-cooked.
- Once they are cooked halfway through, remove them from the oven and let them cool.
- Cut the white sweet potatoes into wedges and place them in a large bowl.
- In a frying pan, add olive oil, smashed garlic, and fresh rosemary spring.
- Place the frying pan on low heat.
- Once the oil becomes fragrant, remove the pan from heat.
- Pour the oil into a small bowl and let it cool.
- Once the potato wedges are cool, add two tablespoons of garlic and rosemary oil, rosemary spring, and a pinch of pink Himalayan salt and mix well.
- Grease the baking tray by brushing garlic-rosemary oil on it.
- Place potato wedges on the baking tray skin-side down.
- Place the baking tray in a preheated oven at 425-degree F for 30 minutes or until the white sweet potatoes start getting a golden-brown color.
- Remove the tray from the oven and serve.