White Sweet Potato Smoothie
Smoothie is an integral part of everyone’s diet. It is delicious, smooth, fulfilling, and a perfect snack or a meal replacement. The thing about a smoothie is that it is versatile. You can use literally any ingredient and get a smoothie out of it. For instance, think about green smoothies. You can use spinach and other leafy greens to make a delicious and healthy smoothie. A smoothie is a perfect way to incorporate foods into your daily routine which you otherwise don’t eat. So, it’s all health.
Although you might be using various unconventional ingredients to make a delicious smoothie, but have you ever used a potato? It sounds a bit weird, doesn’t it? But it is what we are going to talk about. Here is a delicious and filling white sweet potato recipe for you to try out! So, without any further waiting, let’s head to the recipe! Also Check out, Roasted White Sweet Potatoes, and Mashed White Sweet Potatoes.
What Is A Potato Smoothie?
In simple words, a potato smoothie is a smoothie made from potatoes. Now the main components of any smoothie are:
- Liquid base
Now, this potato smoothie is just like any other smoothie and is made from the components mentioned above. However, for fruit/vegetable, we are using sweet potatoes.
A potato smoothie is delicious. It has a thick, creamy texture and is very fulfilling. You can drink it for breakfast, snack, or as a replacement for lunch. Whatever time you choose, it is a very tasteful and unique smoothie.
What Is White Sweet Potato?
You might be aware of the different types of potatoes. Where there are saltish potatoes like russet potatoes etc., there are also sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes have a unique and distinct sweet flavor, are a bit longer in shape, and are usually orangish in color. However, orange potatoes are not the only type of sweet potatoes there are. You can also find white sweet potatoes as well. In other words, it is somewhere between russet potatoes and orange sweet potatoes.
Difference Between An Orange Sweet Potato And White Sweet Potato
Although both these potatoes fall into a single category, there are a few noticeable differences between the two in terms of visual appearance and taste. Their differences are:
- Skin color: From the appearance, you can easily spot orange sweet potatoes thanks to their copper skin tone. Whereas the white sweet potatoes range from a light, golden skin, which resembles russet potatoes to red skin
- Shape: As far as the shape is concerned, an orange sweet potato is longer and less oval in shape. However, the shape of a white sweet potato is just the same as well. These are also longer than oval or round in shape.
- Internal color: Now, if we talk about the interior of these potatoes, as soon as you cut an orange sweet potato, you see bright orange flesh. It’s the very color that makes it a fall favorite. In contrast, as the name indicates, a white sweet potato is white in color from the inside.
- Level of starch: We all know that potatoes are starchy. However, orange sweet potatoes contain less starch as compared to white sweet potatoes. Furthermore, the starchiness of the white sweet potato resembles the russet potato on so many levels.
- Flavor: orange sweet potato has a strong sweet flavor that makes it a perfect choice for desserts. In contrast, the flavor of white sweet potato is almost like an orange sweet potato but with milk sweetness. As a result, it is easily used in both sweet and savory dishes. In other words, it is not overpoweringly sweet.
Benefits Of White A Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are jam-packed with minerals, vitamins, and nutrients, and white sweet potatoes are no different. Here are a few benefits of white sweet potatoes:
- Firstly, white sweet potatoes are rich in potassium, iron, and manganese.
- They are high in fiber. As a result, they maintain the health of your digestive tract and regulate bowel movements. They also help in relieving constipation.
- They are low in fat and thus are low in cholesterol as well. As a result, they are light on your heart.
- White sweet potatoes regulate blood sugar levels, making them a good option for diabetic patients.
- Lastly, these are rich in anti-oxidants. Anti-oxidants are super important for our body’s functioning and help protect the body against several diseases.
How To Cook White Sweet Potatoes?
There are several ways you can cook white sweet potatoes. Here are a few to name:
- Boiling: the easiest way to cook a white sweet potato is by boing it. You can boil it with skin on and as a whole, but it will probably take quite some time. So, what I usually do is I peel the potato, dice it into cubes and then place it in boiling water. This way, it cooks faster, and you also get rid of the starch.
- Baking: if you want the healthy nutrients to stay in the potato, bake it. You can pierce the sweet potato with a knife, place it on a baking tray and place it in the preheated oven for 45 minutes at 425-degree F. once it is done, scoop out the potato leaving behind the skin.
- Instant pot: if you are in a bit of a hurry, you can also cook it in an instant pot. All you have to do is add water, place the potato either whole or in diced form, seal the lid, set the timer for 10 minutes, and that’s all. Quick-release to get a perfectly cooked white sweet potato.
White Sweet Potato Smoothie Ingredient Breakdown
Here is everything you need for this delicious potato smoothie:
- White sweet potato: Now, you can’t make a potato smoothie without a potato, can you? Cook the potato any way you like for this smoothie. Add 1/2 boiled sweet potato and 1/2 boiled cassava for an over-the-top smoothie.
- Non-dairy milk: Since we are talking about vegan foods, you can use any non-dairy milk. Whether it is coconut milk, soy, or almond, everything works well.
- Maple syrup: Because the white sweet potato isn’t very sweet, you might need to add a sweetener to the smoothie. For this reason, I use maple syrup. However, you can use honey or any other ingredient as well.
- Spices: I love the flavor of cinnamon and nutmeg in this smoothie. These are the most widely used Jamaican spices and go perfectly well with the smoothie. Furthermore, vanilla extracts also taste great in them.
How To Make A Potato Smoothie?
Making a potato smoothie is a piece of cake. Literally! All the time you need is for cooking the potato. You can cook the potatoes in any way you like, but I prefer t boil them. Once it is boiled and cooled, all you have to do is add all the ingredients to the blender jug. Place it on the machine and hit the button. Once you get a smooth and creamy consistency, that’s all!
Tips And Tricks For Making The Perfect Smoothie
Here are a few tips and tricks that can land you on a glass of perfect potato smoothie:
- Make sure you wash and scrub the potatoes to get rid of the dust particles.
- To get a creamier texture, I prefer you use coconut milk.
- You can adjust the sweetness of the smoothie according to your liking. Furthermore, you can use sugar-free sweeteners or organic coconut sugar as well.
- Make sure the cooked potatoes are cool before blending them into the blender. If they are hot, there are chances that the coconut milk will split. You can cook potatoes ahead of time and store them in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. This way, you don’t have to cook them every time you want to drink a potato smoothie.
- It is ideal that you serve this smoothie immediately. Although you can store it in the refrigerator, I advise you don’t store it for more than 6-8 hours. Whenever you feel like drinking it, make a fresh batch for added benefits.
Other Smoothie Recipes
- Moringa Smoothie
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Nopal Cactus Smoothie
- Grapefruit Smoothie
- Peach Mango Smoothie
If you enjoyed this post and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Categories: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Course: Beverage
- Cuisine: Jamaican
- Energy: 281 kcal / 1175 kJ
- Fat: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Carbs: 63 g
- Preparation: 5 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- For: 2 Servings
- 2 cups white sweet potato, or 1 cup sweet potato + 1 cup cassava
- 2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk, almond, coconut, cashew, rice, or oat milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg, optional
- Pinch of salt, optional
- Wash and scrub white sweet potatoes to get rid of any dirt. Peel them and dice them into chunks.
- In a saucepan, add water and heat. Once the water starts boiling, add diced white sweet potatoes and let them cook for 20 minutes or until they are tender.
- Remove the diced potatoes from the saucepan and let them cool down.
- Once they reach room temperature, place them in a blender jug.
- Pour in non-dairy milk, Cinnamon, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and salt.
- Blend the ingredients at high speed until you get a smooth texture.
- Serve immediately.
Thank you for potatoes smoothie it’s very important for me
Thank you for Sweet potatoes instructions
I congrats you for this website , great work for your efforts
Thanks for sharing this recipe