Grapefruit is a type of citrus fruit that always stays on the borderline. You will either love it or hate it. There is no middle lane. The fruit is slightly bigger and bulkier as compared to oranges. I love to use it to make grapefruit smoothie.
Talking about its flavor, it is a bit tart and on the bitter side. The flavor can be overpowering, but the fruit has many health benefits.
Because of its flavor profile, you can enjoy the taste of grapefruit and its benefits by pairing it up with another fruit. I love to pair it up with pineapples. I really love how the two fruits go well together. They are like a perfect match made in heaven. Check out my Pina Colada Smoothie, Grapefruit Kumquat Juice, and Pineapple Upside Down Cake,
This vegan grapefruit smoothie recipe is perfect because it is:
- Low calorie
- low fat
so, without wasting any more time, let’s head to the many reasons you should incorporate this Grapefruit Pineapple Smoothie in your daily routine.
Why should you drink vegan smoothies?
Healthy vegan smoothies are an essential component of any diet plan. They not just provide nutrient benefits but are also satisfying. It is best to use a high-speed blender for best results, I’m currently loving the Instant Pot Blender, I plan to make more Instant Pot Blender recipes soon.
The main point here is you select ingredients that possess health benefits and limit the use of fats in the smoothie. Through using the right ingredients, you can enjoy the many benefits of smoothies. Here is why you should incorporate vegan smoothies in your diet:
- Vegan smoothies are ideal for weight loss.
- They are perfect for snacking. Instead of eating unhealthy snacks, you can drink vegan smoothies and satisfy your cravings.
- Smoothies also prevent dehydration by regulating your body’s water need.
- Whether it is for breakfast or in-between meals, smoothies work perfectly well in making you feel full.
- They are a perfect source of getting nutrients, minerals, and vitamins from fruits and vegetables.
What is a vegan grapefruit-pineapple smoothie?
We all love smoothies because of the following reason:
- They are delicious
- They are fulfilling
- They are healthy
But when it comes to opting for a vegan diet, you might think your options are limited. If you think smoothies are made from fruits, vegetables, and milk as the main component, well, think again! All you need is a liquid component. Which means milk is not necessary.
So, if you are looking for a vegan smoothie recipe to give your health a boost, try this delicious vegan grapefruit smoothie recipe. Made from two main ingredients, i.e. grapefruit and pineapple, this smoothie is not just a super nutritional and healthy option, it is also utterly tasteful.
What are the Benefits of grapefruit?
Grapefruit is among the two main components of this smoothie recipe. This citrus fruit is known for its unique flavor. Because it has a tart and slightly bitter flavor, not everyone loves this fruit. But even if you don’t like it, the many benefits of grapefruit will want you to incorporate it into your diet. Here are a few health benefits of grapefruit:
- Grapefruit is very low in calories. So, you don’t have to worry about gaining weight. In fact, people recommend drinking Grapefruit Smoothie for weight loss.
- Grapefruit, just like any other citrus fruit, has a high content of vitamin C. vitamin C, helps in boosting your immunity and protecting your body against diseases.
- This citrus fruit is also rich in Vitamin A. It protects the body against infectious diseases and inflammation. Furthermore, minerals like copper, iron, and zinc also protect the body against several diseases.
- It is also rich in fiber. As a result, you feel full longer. It also increases digestion.
- Grapefruit helps in improving your heart health. It is known to reduce the level of “bad” cholesterol in the blood, promoting a healthy heart. Furthermore, high fiber also aids in lowering high blood pressure.
- Grapefruit is a super fruit when it comes to anti-oxidants. Apart from vitamin C, it is also rich in antioxidants like Beta-carotene, Lycopene, and Flavanones. These anti-oxidants prevent risks for several chronic diseases like heart strokes, eye-related diseases, cancers, etc.
- It is also high in water. As a result, it offers a high level of hydration. High-water content plays a vital role in preventing dehydration in the body.
- This citrus fruit also helps in preventing kidney stones. The citric acid in grapefruit increases the pH level in urine. Therefore, it provides an unfavorable environment for the formation of kidney stones. Read More.
What are the Benefits of pineapple?
Pineapple is a super healthy tropical fruit. It has a delicious sweet and a bit tangy flavor. Pineapple is known for its many benefits. The sweetness of pineapple is a perfect remedy for the tartness and bitterness of the grapefruit. Here are some of the many benefits of pineapples:
- Pineapple is low in calories and high in nutrients like Vitamin A, C, and K. it is also rich in calcium, zinc, and phosphorus.
- It is loaded with antioxidants and boosts immunity within the body. It also promotes cell growth and development. Also, anti-oxidants help in reducing inflammation and fighting chronic diseases.
- Pineapples contain an enzyme known as bromelain. This enzyme aids in digestion and helps in breaking down protein more efficiently.
- Because it reduces inflammation, pineapple helps in relieving joint pain caused by arthritis.
- Eating pineapples, after surgery, helps in fast recovery. It reduces pain, inflammation, swelling, and bruising. Also, it provides energy to the body to recover more quickly.
- Pineapple also helps in controlling the growth of cancer cells. As a result, it causes the death of cancerous cells and promotes the growth of white blood cells. Read More.
Grapefruit Pineapple Smoothie is made from four simple ingredients. These ingredients include:
- Grapefruit: One of the main fruits used in this smoothie is the grapefruit. This citrus fruit is known for its bold and unusual flavor. Furthermore, this citrus fruit is also known for its many health benefits. It is effortless to use and makes up an essential component of many salads, juices, and smoothies.
- Pineapple chuck: the other main component of this smoothie recipe is the freshly diced pineapple chunks. Pineapple is a tropical fruit that has an interesting sweet and tangy flavor. It gives punch to this smoothie and balances out the strong taste of grapefruit.
- Pineapple juice: Pineapple juice sets the liquid base for this smoothie. It adds additional sweetness and a punch of pineapple to the smoothie. However, make sure you use fresh pineapple juice to enjoy the many health benefits of the fruit. Store-bought pineapple juice has high sugar content which is not as healthy as it may sound. Therefore, always go for fresh pineapple juice for this smoothie.
- Ginger: lastly, to increase freshness and give another dimension to this smoothie, I use ginger. It not just adds freshness to the smoothie but also adds healthy benefits to the smoothie.
Fresh ginger, which is amazing for treating nausea and has incredible anti-inflammatory effects.
The best thing about smoothies is that you can add or remove ingredients according to your liking. So, if you want to customize the recipe a bit, here are a few ideas:
- Instead of pineapple juice, you can also use coconut juice in this grapefruit smoothie.
- You can also add the tanginess of this smoothie by adding a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice. It will increase the freshness of the drink.
- Want to add a little green to the smoothie? Add a handful of baby spinach to increase its nutritional value and to stabilize the flavors as well.
- Lastly, to make this smoothie more refreshing, you can also add fresh mint leaves.
Points to remember
Always segment the grapefruit before using it. This way, you will be able to remove the bitter pith. It will also make the grapefruit smoothie taste less bitter. (Personally, I don’t mind the bitter taste)
You can also freeze pineapple chunks and use them in the smoothie to make grapefruit smoothie bowls. Frozen pineapples help in thickening the smoothie’s texture. You can top the bowls up with chia seeds, fresh berries, etc., and enjoy a wholesome portion.
Other Pineapple Recipes
- Pineapple Fried Rice
- Pineapple Salsa
- Vegan Pineapple Tart
- Vegan Blueberry Pineapple Bread
- Coconut Pineapple Donuts
- Ginger Turmeric Shot
- Guacamole Pineapple Baked Plantains
Other Vegan Smoothie Recipes To Prepare
- Moringa Smoothie
- Maca Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Green Detox Smoothie
- Apple Pie Smoothie
CAUTION: Grapefruit juice should never be taken if you are on certain medications such as antihypertensive, psychiatric medications cholesterol-lowering drugs, antihistamines, impotence drugs, immuno-suppressants, and antiarrhythmics. Please consult your physician before consuming grapefruit juice. Grapefruit juice contains high levels of furanocoumarins. Furanocoumarin prevents the metabolism of these drugs and thus may lead to a toxic build-up in the system.
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love
Try this delicious smoothie recipe at home, and I am sure you will love it. Enjoy! And don’t forget to thank me later.
- Energy: 205 kcal / 857 kJ
- Fat: .6 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Carbs: 51 g
- Preparation: 7 min
- Ready in: 7 min
- Peel grapefruit and separate its segments.
- In a high-speed blender jug, pour pineapple juice.
- Add pineapple chunks and ginger.
- Start the blender and process until you get a smooth texture.
- Pour the smoothie into an ice-filled glass and serve immediately.