This amazing Ital Stew recipe is my version of the popular traditional Jamaican Rastafarian dish. Potatoes, carrots, and cabbage are simmered in coconut milk, aromatic spices, and herbs!
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
What Is Ital Stew?
Ital Stew is a Jamaican dish from the Rastafarian movement, traditionally. this stew doesn’t contain meat or processed foods. It is made from vegetables, herbs, aromatic spices cooked in coconut milk
How To Make Ital Stew?
As I mentioned before this Ital Stew Recipe is my version. The traditional Jamaican version is cooked with tropical root vegetables such as yam and taro (I don’t have any on hand so I substitute with potatoes). It shouldn’t be cooked with iodized salt but I added some Bragg’s Liquid Aminos and sea salt.
Honestly, I love salt and have tried to wean myself off but have failed numerous times. Feel free to omit salt and Bragg’s Liquid Aminos. I also added Butler’s Soy Curls that are made from whole non-GMO soybeans.
Finally, the Ital Stew recipe would call for only local seasonings but I included tomato paste, marjoram, rosemary, and Italian seasoning for a boost of flavor. I just can’t help myself.
The results were simply mind-blowing, I couldn’t get enough of this stew! My hubby enjoyed his so much and told me to call it Ital stew. I told him I had already planned to call it just that! He said it was spot on.
If you have never had Ital stew this is a must-try, it is delicious served alone or over steamed rice.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 308 kcal / 1287 kJ
- 17 g
- 0 g
- 35 g
- 20 min
- 35 min
- Ready in:
- 55 min
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 6 dried allspice berries
- 1/4 cup Bragg's liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into coins
- 1/2 medium green cabbage, chopped
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup Soy Curls™
- salt, to taste, (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
- Pinch of Cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a large Dutch pot on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, green onions, celery, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, Italian seasoning, allspice berries and cook stirring frequently for another minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in Bragg's liquid aminos, tomato paste, potatoes, carrots, cabbage and coat with seasonings. Cook for about a minute, stirring frequently.
- Add coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until stew is thick, adding Soy Curls™ halfway.
- Season with salt and pepper.