This amazing Ital Stew recipe is my version of the popular traditional Jamaican Rastafarian dish. Potatoes, carrots, and cabbage are simmered in coconut milk, aromatic spices and herbs!
As I mentioned before this Ital Stew Recipe is my version. The traditional Jamaican version is cooked with tropical root vegetables such as yam and taro (I don’t have any on hand so I substitute with potatoes). Also, it shouldn’t be cooked with salt but I added some Bragg’s liquid aminos and sea salt.
Honestly, I love salt and have tried to wean myself off but have failed numerous times. Feel free to omit salt and Bragg’s liquid aminos. I also added Butler’s Soy Curls that is made from whole non-GMO soybeans. Finally, the traditional recipe would call for only local seasonings but I included tomato paste, marjoram, rosemary, and Italian seasoning for a boost of flavor. I just can’t help myself.
The results were simply mind-blowing, I couldn’t get enough of this stew! My hubby enjoyed his so much and told me to call it Ital stew. I told him I had already planned to call it just that! He said it was spot on.
For: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 6 dried allspice berries
- 1/4 cup Bragg's liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into coins
- 1/2 medium green cabbage, chopped
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup Soy Curls™
- salt, to taste, (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
- Pinch of Cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a large Dutch pot on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, green onions, celery, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, Italian seasoning, allspice berries and cook stirring frequently for another minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in Bragg's liquid aminos, tomato paste, potatoes, carrots, cabbage and coat with seasonings. Cook for about a minute, stirring frequently.
- Add coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until stew is thick, adding Soy Curls™ halfway.
- Season with salt and pepper.