FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
I'm so happy for Fall with all the pumpkin recipes I get to make. My family especially love my Jamaica Pumpkin Soup, Pumpkin Stuffed Shells, and Jamaica Pumpkin Curry With Butter Beans. I decided to share a more traditional way to make pumpkin soup in Jamaica that is vegan and gluten-free that includes local vegetables.
This is the vegan version of Jamaican Pumpkin Chicken Soup, one of my childhood recipes that my mom made weekly when I was growing up. We traditional used Grace Cock Soup or similar prepackaged seasonings to flavor our soups in Jamaica but to create this vegan version, I used vegetable broth and coconut milk. You can make your own or use a store-bought version.
To my knowledge, we don't grow the popular American orange pumpkin in Jamaica, so I opt to use the variety grown here in Florida and Jamaica. Traditional Jamaican and Caribbean pumpkins are called Calabaza, they are green and white variegated skin with deep orange flesh. You can substitute any orange flesh pumpkin or butternut squash variety.
To make pumpkin soup vegan, the ingredients can be purchased at West Indian or Caribbean specialty store, Latino, Indian and Chinese supermarkets and in the International section of major supermarkets.
In Jamaica and throughout the Caribbean, we refer to root vegetables as ground provisions, these ground provisions include, sweet potato, yams, dasheen (taro), eddo, cassava. They are often boiled and served as a side dish or added to soups and stews. These root vegetables or ground provisions can be substituted with white potato or sweet potatoes.
Unique Ingredients To Purchase
- Yellow or White Yam, Taro - substitute with potato
- Chocho or Chayote- substitute with zucchini
- Scotch Bonnet Pepper - substitute with cayenne pepper
How To Make Vegan Pumpkin Soup
Bring vegetable broth to boil in a large pot, add peeled pumpkin and cook until tender. Using a fork, mash half the pumpkin. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for about 30 minutes on low.
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
Other Amazing Jamaican Recipes For You To Try
- Jamaican Jerk Cauliflower
- Jamaican Rice And Peas
- Baked Plantains
- Jamaican Sorrel Drink
- Vegan Curried Tripe And Beans
- Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
- Jamaican Gungo Peas Soups
- Vegan Sweet Potato Pudding
- Jamaican Vegan Rundown Recipe
- Jamaican Lentil Patties
- 188 kcal / 786 kJ
- 8 g
- 7 g
- 23 g
- 20 min
- 40 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 10 min
For The Soup
- 4 cups pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth, or 6 cups water plus 2 vegetable bouillon
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium white potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper, or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
For The Soup
- Bring vegetable broth to boil in a large pot, add pumpkin and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Carefully mash pumpkin with a fork.
- Add, coconut milk, onion, garlic, green onion, celery, carrot, potato, yam. Chocho, dumplings, thyme, allspice, dumplings and Scotch bonnet pepper on top of the soup. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Note: Keep Scotch Bonnet Pepper whole, it is very hot if opened
For The Dumplings
- Combine flour and salt together in a mixing bowl.. Add enough water and mix with hands to form a stiff yet pliable dough. If it is too dry add water, if too soft add extra flour.
- Pinch off a coin size piece of dough, roll between the palm of your hands to form a cylindrical shape dumpling. Repeat until finished. Add to the soup at least 15 minutes before it is finished cooking.