Simple and easy Vegan Split Pea Soup is so flavorful and hearty, perfect for cold nights but can be enjoyed all year. It is so economical, green split peas, carrots. potatoes, onion, garlic, cooked in vegetable broth.
Split pea soup is a staple that my family enjoys all year round. You get to add lots of veggies with this comforting and hearty soup. When I’m stuck with what to prepare for dinner I love to make this recipe. I have even made my Instant Pot Split Pea Soup version and Yellow Split Pea Patties With Curry Sauce recipe.
It is that time of year where it is not quite hot as yet and we are still having cold winterlike days. On these days, soups are my favorite go-to recipes. My Vegan Split Pea Soup is amazing, I make a big pot of soup so I have enough for leftovers.
No need to soak the split peas, for this recipe, you can use green or yellow split peas or even a combination of both. I used green split peas this time.
How To Make Split Pea Soup
To make Vegetarian Split Pea Soup Recipe, I saute onion, garlic, celery in oil until onion is soft. Stir in parsley, thyme, oregano, basil, and bay leaf, cook until fragrant. Add carrot, potatoes, split peas, vegetable broth, Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for an hour. Add salt to taste and green onion.
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 230 kcal / 961 kJ
- 4 g
- 17 g
- 33 g
- 10 min
- 30 min
- Ready in:
- 45 min
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves crushed garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 sprig thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 2 cups green split peas, sorted and rinsed
- 7-8 cups vegetable broth
- sea salt, to taste
- sliced green onion, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and celery until onion is soft.
- Stir in parsley, thyme, oregano, basil, and bay leaf, cook until fragrant.
- Add carrot, potatoes, split peas, vegetable broth. Cover pot, and bring to boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for one hour. Discard bay leaf and add salt to taste. Serve in a bowl with green onions to garnish.
I have also made this soup in a slow cook, just put all the ingredients in the slow cooker for 6-8 hours. Enjoy!