FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
This is my vegan and gluten-free version of Jamaican red peas soup. It is traditionally cooked with salt beef, salted pig's tail, or chicken feet. Like my Jamaican Stew Peas, this red pea soup has lots of flavors that you won't even miss the meat.
To boost the flavor, I added 2 vegetable bouillon cubes, you can substitute with your favorite bouillon cube or chicken-style seasoning or leave it out and just flavor with salt.
Traditionally we add a Scotch bonnet pepper, this pepper can be found in West Indian supermarkets or you can substitute with cayenne pepper.
How To Make Red Peas Soup
- Sort beans and soak beans in a large pot or bowl of cold water overnight or for 8 hours. The following morning discard water and rinse beans.
- Add 10 cups of water and bring to boil on medium-high in a large pot, reduce heat to simmer and cook beans until tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, green onions, thyme, carrots, potatoes, yam, dumplings, coconut milk, allspice, vegetable bouillon, and Scotch bonnet pepper.
- Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender about 30 minutes.
- Discard Scotch bonnet pepper before serving.
Other Delicious Jamaican Soup To Try
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 257 kcal / 1074 kJ
- 8 g
- 12 g
- 37 g
For The Soup
- 2 cups dried red kidney beans
- 10 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup yam, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 6 pimento berries
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillons
- 1 whole Scotch Bonnet
- Salt to taste
- 1 batch of dumplings/spinners, optional recipe below
- 20 min
- 1 h 30 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 50 min
For The Soup
Sort and wash beans, soak in cold water overnight in a large pot or bowl for at least 8 hours.
The following day, discard water and rinse beans, place them in a large saucepan with 10 cups of water and bring to boil, lower heat to simmer until tender for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Add chopped onion, garlic, green onions, thyme, carrots, potatoes, yam, dumplings, coconut milk, allspice, vegetable bouillon, and Scotch bonnet pepper.
Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender about 30 minutes. Discard Scotch bonnet pepper before serving.
For The Dumplings
Place flour and salt in a bowl. Add water and mix to make a stiff dough. Pinch off small pieces of dough and roll into the palm of hands to make long thin dumplings. Drop into simmering stew.