Traditionally “stew peas” is cooked with salted beef, oxtail or pig’s tail, but here I present a vegan version that will please the palate of the most skeptic.
How To Make Vegan Jamaican Stew Peas?
Jamaican stew peas with dumplings (spinners) contain a Jamaican version of unleavened dumplings also known as spinners, usually made with white flour but regular flour will work also try my Instant Pot Version.
I used whole scotch bonnet pepper for more of the authentic flavor and not the spicy heat. Coconut milk is an essential component of this stew and many other Jamaican dishes.
If you are wanting to cook authentic Jamaican dishes this dish is so easy to make, I have made this dish several times for my guests and they tell me how amazing it tastes. Jamaican stew peas an ultimate comfort dish is my go-to recipe.
. Since I made this recipe in 2012, I now only eat gluten-free dumplings. I have updated this recipe to include a recipe for Jamaican gluten-free dumplings.
. Substitute 2 cans of kidney beans for the dried kidney beans and omit the water.
. Use 1-14 ounce can coconut milk if you don’t have fresh coconut milk
Other Jamaican Recipes To Try
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 184 kcal / 769 kJ
- Fat: 8 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Carbs: 25 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 1 h 30 min
- Ready in: 1 h 40 min
- 12 Servings
- 2 cups dried kidney beans
- 6 cups water
- 1-14 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, or 1 sprig of fresh
- 1 medium carrot, cut into coins
- 1 whole Scotch Bonnet pepper stem intact, or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or 6 berries
- 1 batch dumplings/spinners
For The Stew Peas
- Sort and wash beans, soak in water overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- The following day, discard water and rinse beans, place them in a large saucepan with water and bring to boil, lower heat to simmer until tender for about 1 hour.
- Add coconut milk, carrots, onion, garlic, and continue simmering. Add spinners and thyme and other seasonings, simmer for another 30 minutes or until sauce is thick. Discard pepper before serving. Delicious served with brown rice and a salad!
For The Dumplings
- Place flour and salt in a bowl. Add water and mix to make a stiff dough. Pinch off small pieces of dough and roll into the palm of hands to make long thin dumplings. Drop into simmering stew.