Roasted Radicchio and Butternut Squash Salad is the perfect winter salad with a burst of flavors. Radicchio roasted to mellow their bitter taste leaving a sweeter appetizing taste paired with sweet roasted butternut squash and creamy avocado is the perfect combo then tossed with a delicious creamy sesame dressing is such a huge hit.
A must try!
Can You Eat Butternut Squash Raw?
Butternut squash is a fruit so yes it can be eaten raw, some folks use it to make smoothies and salads but I prefer to cook mine first.
Are You Supposed To Peel Butternut Squash Before Cooking?
You really don’t need to peel it before cooking, the skin has lots of fiber, nutrients and is soft and tender when cooked.
How To Prepare Roasted Radicchio and Butternut Squash Salad?
Check out the video on How To Peel And Chop Butternut Squash
I’m so happy I made this salad and it has now become my favorite, I can’t wait to purchase more radicchio as soon as I go to the store. Radicchio is one of those vegetables that is so underrated but it’s truly delicious and healthy when prepared in this salad. The color alone is proof that it is very nutritious. Check out more information here.
Radicchio, also known as red chickory, is a variety of chicory and it is very popular in Italy, it is unique with its wine color and bitter taste. It is a popular winter vegetable because it grows best during colder months.
To prepare this salad, first roast the butternut squash, since it takes longer then add the radicchio halfway to the baking sheet.
Meanwhile, prepare the dressing. After the vegetables are finished roasting, allow to slightly cool, then add chopped avocado and green onions, toss with dressing and serve. The taste was amazing, words cannot describe!
For the dressing, blend the cashews, garlic, yeast flakes, sesame oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, salt, and water until smooth and creamy.
My hubby avoids yeast flakes so for his dressing I quickly combined olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, and sesame oil. I didn’t write down the recipe for his, will make again soon.
- Serve your butternut squash salad warm or cold.
- Add extra veggies or substitute the radicchio for spring veggie mix.
- Serve it for the holidays for an elegant dining experience.
Other Butternut Squash Recipes To Prepare
- Roasted Butternut Squash With Pecans And Cranberries
- Gluten-Free Vegan Butternut Squash Muffins
- Autumn Squash Soup
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 283 kcal / 1183 kJ
- Fat: 20 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Carbs: 23 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- For: 4 Servings
- 1 head radicchio, quartered lengthwise
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium avocado, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
Creamy Sesame Dressing
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray.Toss butternut squash cubes with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large bowl. Spread butternut squash on half of the baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 30 minutes, turn after 15 minutes. Meanwhile, brush radicchio quarters with olive oil.
- When turning the butternut squash, add radicchio quarters and spread on the other half of baking sheet. Continue roasting butternut squash and radicchio for 15 minutes. Prepare the dressing.
- Remove from oven, you may slightly cool and chop radicchio into smaller pieces then add avocado, green onions and toss with salad dressing.
To prepare the dressing
- Drain and rinse cashews, place in a high-speed blender with water, lemon juice, garlic, maple syrup, sesame oil, nutritional yeast flakes, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy. Keep remaining dressing in a container with a tight fitting lid refrigerated.