Radicchio roasted to mellow their bitter taste leaving a sweeter appetizing taste paired with sweet roasted butternut squash and creamy avocado is the perfect combo then tossed with a delicious creamy sesame dressing is such a huge hit.
A must try!
I’m so happy I made this salad and it has now become my favorite, I can’t wait to purchase more radicchio as soon as I go to the store. Radicchio is one of those vegetables that is so underrated but its truly delicious and healthy when prepared in this salad. The color alone is proof that it is very nutritious. Check out more information here.
Radicchio, also known as red chickory, is a variety of chicory and it is very popular in Italy, it is unique with its wine color and bitter taste. It is a popular winter vegetable because it grows best during colder months.
To prepare this salad, I first roast the butternut squash, since it takes longer then add the radicchio halfway to the baking sheet. Meanwhile, I prepare the dressing. After the vegetables are finished roasting, I allow to slightly cool, then add chopped avocado and green onions, toss with dressing and serve. The taste was amazing, words cannot describe!
For the dressing, I blended cashews, garlic, yeast flakes, sesame oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, salt, and water until smooth and creamy. My hubby avoids yeast flakes so for his dressing I quickly combined olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, Bragg’s liquid aminos, and sesame oil. I didn’t write down the recipe for his, will make again soon.
- 283 kcal / 1183 kJ
- 20 g
- 5 g
- 23 g
- 15 min
- 30 min
- Ready in:
- 55 min
- 1 head radicchio, quartered lengthwise
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium avocado, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
Creamy Sesame Dressing
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray.Toss butternut squash cubes with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large bowl. Spread butternut squash on half of the baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 30 minutes, turn after 15 minutes. Meanwhile, brush radicchio quarters with olive oil.
- When turning the butternut squash, add radicchio quarters and spread on the other half of baking sheet. Continue roasting butternut squash and radicchio for 15 minutes. Prepare the dressing.
- Remove from oven, you may slightly cool and chop radicchio into smaller pieces then add avocado, green onions and toss with salad dressing.
To prepare the dressing
- Drain and rinse cashews, place in a high-speed blender with water, lemon juice, garlic, maple syrup, sesame oil, nutritional yeast flakes, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy. Keep remaining dressing in a container with a tight fitting lid refrigerated.