FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
After sharing my amazing Chickpea Shepherd's Pie, I decided to share another amazing Shepherd's pie made with lentils. Lentils are earth and healthy and the perfect legumes for a vegan shepherd's pie.
As we approach the colder months, comfort dishes like Vegan Mac And Cheese, and Broccoli Rice Casserole and are on my mind. I enjoyed traditional Shepherd's pie when I lived in England, I cooked it with ground beef and spices. Now I substituted the ground beef with lentils and vegetables and must say my spice blend makes the most delicious Shepherd's Pie recipe.
Recently I'm trying to include foods that contain spermidine in my family's diet. Lentils are packed with nutrients, they contain lots of protein (9 grams per 1/2 cup), but of my favorite health benefits lentils contain one of the highest amounts of spermidine, 250 g of spermidine. Spermidine is a compound found in many plants,
Spermidine leads to better heart function and longer life, it is found in higher concentration in the blood of centenarians. My easy shepherd's pie recipe with lentils has a lot of lentils in it with lots of veggies.
Other Plant Sources Of Spermidine Include:
- Leafy Greens
- Green Beans
- Rice Bran
How To Make Lentil Shepherd's Pie
This is definitely the best shepherd's pie, it is so easy to prepare, filling, hearty, comforting, protein-packed, loaded with vegetables and easy to prepare. Cooked potatoes in a pot of water. While potatoes are cooking, sort lentils and wash. Cook lentils with herbs, spices veggies, except peas and veggie broth until tender.
Mash cooked potatoes with non-dairy milk, butter, and salt. Stir in vegan cheese shreds. When lentils are finished cooking stir in the green peas. Scoop seasoned lentils into a prepared casserole dish, top with mashed potatoes and bake for 15 minutes, then broil on high until top is golden. This is an amazing vegetarian shepherd's pie recipe.
Check Out More Lentil Recipe Ideas:
- Lentil Meatballs
- Vegan Lentil Stew
- Jamaican Lentil Patties
- Vegan Lentil Loaf
- Creamy Lentil Pasta
- Loaded Taco Fries
- Vegan One Pot Taco Spaghetti
- Vegan Bolognese
- Lentil Curry Lettuce Cups
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
Get Ready For Your Fall Cooking With These Amazing Products. (Amazon Affiliate Links)
- 289 kcal / 1208 kJ
- 8 g
- 13 g
- 42 g
- 10 min
- 50 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons Bragg liquid aminos
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1 batch Garlic Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
- Sort and wash lentils and set aside, heat a large pot with oil. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Stir in celery, carrots, thyme, rosemary, parsley, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, tomato paste, Bragg's liquid aminos, lentils, vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover pot and reduce to simmer until lentil is tender about 25 minutes. Stir in frozen peas.
- Prepare mashed potatoes while lentils are cooking, stir in vegan shredded cheese. Scoop lentils in a lightly greased 9x13 casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, broil on high for 3 minutes or until top is brown.