Serve this vegan bolognese recipe with your favorite pasta or zucchini pasta and your family and friends will be amazed how flavorful it tastes!
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
So recently we went out of town for 3 days. When we got back my son Daevyd wanted pasta with sauce. I check the cupboards and couldn’t find any spaghetti sauce in sight.
All I found was a can of crushed tomatoes. Before leaving I made sure I prepared all the fresh fruits and vegetables that I wouldn’t normally put in the refrigerator. So all my tomatoes were used up. I decided to prepare lentil Bolognese or lentil ragu with the canned tomatoes and we were all blown away by the delicious results.
I personally love lentils, they are high in protein, very nutritious and can be prepared without soaking and I have made other amazing recipes like my:
- Jamaican Lentil Patties
- Lentil Meatballs
- Vegan Lentil Stew
- Vegan Lentil Loaf
- Creamy Lentil Pasta
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Lentil Curry Lettuce Cups
How to Make Brown Lentil Bolognese
Sort, wash and cook brown lentils, my preferred lentil is brown or green but you can also use red lentils but I wanted the robust and earthy flavor that you get from brown lentils.
Make the sauce by sauteing, onion, garlic, celery, bell peppers, and carrots, then cooked the vegetables down with the organic crushed tomatoes until thick. I seasoned with basil, oregano, and thyme. Being from the Caribbean, thyme is one of my favorite herbs to use. I just love how it enhances the flavor of my dishes.
Serve over gluten-free pasta and sprinkle with vegan Parmesan cheese.
I was also expecting company so I had very little time to unpacked and prepare the guest room so this dish was a Godsend. It is quick and easy to prepare, perfect to feed a crowd and its heart and filling. We all had seconds.
- 312 kcal / 1304 kJ
- 4 g
- 16 g
- 54 g
- 10 min
- 25 min
- Ready in:
- 35 min
- 2 1/2 cups green lentils, brown lentils, cooked (about 1 cup dried)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, with basil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces spaghetti, (I used brown rice)
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar, or coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, optional
- If using dried lentil, sort and rinse lentil, drain and place in a large saucepan with 3 cups of water.
- Bring to boil on medium-high heat, cover leaving the lid slightly open.
- Reduce heat to simmer for about 30-40 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil on medium high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, bell ppper, celery and carrots.
- Add, chopped tomatoes, basil, thyme, oregano, sugar and cayenne pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Stir in lentils and salt to taste.
- While sauce is cooking, cook spaghetti.
- Bring water to boil in a large pot.
- Add spaghetti and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Serve spaghetti topped with lentil bolognese sauce.