This comforting and hearty lentil Bolognese is so delicious. It’s one of those recipes that will be your go-to recipes, seriously! Your family and friends will be amazed how flavorful it tastes.
So recently we went out of town for 3 days. When we got back my son Daevyd wanted spaghetti with sauce. I check the cupboards and couldn’t find any spaghetti sauce in sight. All I found was a can of crushed tomatoes. Before leaving I made sure I prepared all the fresh fruits and vegetables that I wouldn’t normally put in the refrigerator. So all my tomatoes were used up. I decided to prepare lentil Bolognese with the canned tomatoes and we were all blown away with the delicious results.
I cooked brown lentils, you can also use red lentils but I wanted the robust and earthy flavor that you get from brown lentils. I then made the sauce adding celery, bell peppers, and carrots. You can use your favorite vegetables instead. I then cooked the vegetables down with the organic crushed tomatoes until thick. I seasoned with basil, oregano, and thyme. Being from the Caribbean, thyme is one of my favorite herbs to use. I just love how it enhances the flavor of my dishes.
I was also expecting company so I had very little time to unpacked and prepare the guest room so this dish was a God send. It’s perfect to feed a crowd and its heart and filling. We all had seconds.
To make it spicy, add about 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
For: 6 servings
- 2 1/2 cups brown or green lentils, cooked (about 1 cup dried)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, with basil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces spaghetti, (I used brown rice)
- If using dried lentil, sort and rinse lentil, drain and place in a large saucepan with 3 cups of water.
- Bring to boil on medium-high heat, cover leaving the lid slightly open.
- Reduce heat to simmer for about 30-40 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil on medium high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, bell ppper, celery and carrots.
- Add, chopped tomatoes, basil, thyme, and oregano.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Stir in lentils and salt to taste.
- While sauce is cooking, cook spaghetti.
- Bring water to boil in a large pot.
- Add spaghetti and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Serve spaghetti topped with lentil bolognese sauce.