This is a vegan version of the popular Egyptian street food “shish taouk”. The small, square crispy bites are so filling that it’s easy to eat all of them in one sitting.
I love tofu because it often serves as an excellent choice for most kinds of vegan cooking where you want to have a nice bite. That’s true for Shish Touk too! This is just what I can call tofu skewers.
If you’re looking for a yummy, healthy Asian-style dish that tastes amazing then Tofu Shish Taouk is just what you have been looking for. This recipe is simple and easy to make so don’t be scared by the ingredients or anything like that. Just give it a try and you will see how awesome this dish really is.
Scroll down for the detailed recipe, but I suggest you don’t skip the information included in the blurb.
What Is Shish Taouk?
In Turkish, “shish” means skewer, and “tawook,” often written “taouk,” denotes chicken. In essence, shish tawook is Middle Eastern-style chicken kebabs or skewers marinated in a flavorful yogurt-based marinade with lemon, garlic, and a ton of toasty spices.
The Middle East was colonized by the Ottoman Empire (Turkey), which is where the shish tawook first appeared. It also goes by the name “chicken kebab.”
There are other marinade variations, and it is a very well-liked method of cooking chicken in Lebanon and other nearby countries.
Why Do You Like The Recipe?
- These delicate tofu skewers are delicious.
- Your friends and family will love the sour flavors and vibrant orange color.
- This recipe for tofu sushi taouk is both simple and adaptable, as the cubes of tofu can be grilled, baked, or even air-fried.
- Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and corn-free; diet-friendly.
- High in Protein: Each serving of these skewers has 15 grams of plant protein!
- Tofu, zucchini, and capsicum are all rich sources of antioxidants. Antioxidants aid in preventing or reducing the harm that free radicals do to cells.
- These tofu skewers are an excellent source of a variety of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin E, fiber, copper, manganese, and more!
- It’s simple to make the best tofu shish taouk sandwich or salad.
- Tofu — the recipe’s base. You require firm tofu.
- Vegan yogurt — Yogurt is another important ingredient in this dish. I used coconut yogurt which is quite different nutritionally from regular yogurt, having little protein or calcium and significantly more fat. It offers defense against some viruses and bacteria.
- Garlic – adds a boost of flavor.
- Onions — Yellow onions are great but you may use any available ones!
- Capsicum — Get a pleasant crunch with the addition of capsicum.
- Zucchini — Another main ingredient of this recipe, which is super healthy.
- Salt — I use sea salt but any natural salt is great
- Paprika — The flavor of paprika is sweet and spicy. It’s a great way to add some smokiness and heat to your dishes.
- Coriander powder — Ground coriander seeds, often known as coriander powder, have a sweet, fragrant, and somewhat lemony flavor.
- Cumin seeds — You don’t want to skip this ingredient because it adds such amazing flavor and aroma to any dish!
- Turmeric — One of nature’s most potent anti-inflammatory agents. To enjoy the benefits of turmeric and improve the flavor (and appearance) of your food, use it frequently when cooking.
- Oil — I have used olive oil for this recipe. It is loaded with healthy fats and is a perfect choice. However, you can use your favorite or available one.
How To Make Tofu Shish Touk?
- In a large bowl, add vegan yogurt and all the spices and oil.
- Add in cubed veggies and tofu.
- Let the veggies n tofu marinate for at least ½ hour.
- Coat the veggies and tofu in the yogurt mixture.
- Skew in the veggies and tofu.
- Grill in a pan or in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes on 170.
This dish is typically served as a sandwich or as a platter alongside veggies and often with French fries or rice. The Turkish cuisine variety is typically served with cucumber salad, rice, skewer-grilled vegetables, and yogurt.
The Lebanese and Syrian versions are typically accompanied by hummus, toum, and tabbouleh. Israeli cuisine, it is served with tabbouleh or Israeli salad, pickles, grilled spicy chili peppers, fried onions, flatbread or pita, and tahini with sumac flavors.
A flatbread or dürüm is typically used for the sandwich variant, which is frequently paired with tomatoes, lettuce, and pickled turnips.
- Always make sure to soak skewers before using them. To prevent the skewers from scorching and splintering, this is done.
- You can prepare the marinade a day or two in advance to save time. The spices for shish tawook can also be pre-mixed and kept on hand in the cupboard.
- To ensure the tofu cubes grill evenly, cut them as evenly as possible. If they’re a little uneven, use a spatula to press down on them and help them grill.
- Oil is required to assist these skewers cook; otherwise, they would adhere to the surface on which they are fried. To assist your grill, you might need more oil.
- The more the tofu cubes are marinated in the shish touk sauce, the better. Better still if they can stay in the refrigerator all night.
- Double the marinade for the tofu to serve with the cooked skewers. The sauce has a rich flavor and is excellent as a skewer dip.
- The skewers should not be overcooked because doing so will cause them to dry out.
- You may also grill these skewers outside if you’d like!
Variations And Substitutions
- Any more vegetables can be added to the skewers. Various excellent options are tomatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers, and other squashes.
- Cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes can be added to the marinade to add heat.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Tofu?
Condensed soybeans are used to make tofu. It is a well-known, high-protein vegan ingredient. It is naturally gluten-free and low in calories. There is no cholesterol in it, and it is abundant in calcium and Iron.
Tofu is commonly available at any grocery store. It has a variety of textures, including firm, crumbly, and soft.
Typically, tofu doesn’t have a strong flavor all by itself. The other spices or marinade are thus nicely absorbed.
What Type Of Tofu Is Best For Grilling?
Use tofu that is extra- or super-firm. Tofu that has already been pressed has a firmer texture, and has little moisture can assist lower the likelihood that it will stick to the grill’s surface. When using extremely firm tofu, be sure to squeeze the tofu to remove any excess water before using. A tofu press will come in handy here.
Should You Freeze Your Tofu Before Grilling?
You may. I first tested the recipe using tofu that had merely been pressed and then I tested it again using tofu that had first been frozen and then thawed. Your tofu will have more texture after being frozen, and it will also absorb the marinade more effectively.
How Long Do The Grilled Tofu Skewers Last?
When the tofu and vegetables have cooled, take them off the skewers and put the leftovers in an airtight container. Put the vegetables and tofu in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Can I Make Vegan Shish Tawook In The Oven?
Yes, set your oven to 200°C (400°F) and bake the skewers for 20–25 minutes, turning them over halfway. Additionally, you might want to grill or broil them for the final few minutes by enabling your oven’s grill or broil feature and rotating them roughly every minute until the appropriate level of crisping is reached.
Is Tofu Shish Taouk Healthy?
Yes. This tofu shish taouk is made with healthy ingredients which are relatively low in calories and rich in beneficial nutrients.
One of the main ingredients is Tofu, a rare vegan option and a good source of protein that contains all of your body’s essential amino acids. It also contains fats, carbohydrates, and numerous vitamins and minerals.
- Isoflavones, which are found in all soy products, including tofu, are thought to be the primary contributor to the health benefits of tofu. Isoflavones can act as both estrogen agonists and estrogen antagonists. These may aid in the prevention of certain cancers, cardiovascular diseases, and osteoporosis.
- Tofu’s combination of fiber, protein, and isoflavones, according to experts, may be a cause for its heart-health benefits. This may also be why whole soy foods like tofu seem to be better for lowering cholesterol than soy supplements.
- Tofu may help prevent cancers of the breast, gut, and prostate, according to research.
- Tofu’s high isoflavone content may help with bone mineral density, brain function, menopause, and depression symptoms.
Is Shish Taouk The Same As Shawarma?
Even though the two recipes use comparable spices, shawarma lacks the mild balance of yogurt and lemon that Shish Tawook does. Instead, the flavor profile of chicken Shawarma is warmer and deeper, with spices like turmeric and cinnamon lending it that comforting, rich flavor.
If you like and enjoy this recipe, please leave a comment to let me know your feedback.
Other Related Dishes
- Energy: 238 kcal / 995 kJ
- Fat: 15.3 g
- Protein: 19.2 g
- Carbs: 11.1 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- For: 6 Servings
- 1 14-16-ounces extra-firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 cup unsweetened vegan yogurt
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, cubed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, cubed
- Place vegan yogurt in a large bowl. Add oil, garlic, ground paprika, turmeric, cumin, coriander, salt, and mix until smooth.
- Add tofu, onion, bell pepper, and zucchini, and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Place marinated tofu and vegetable cubes on skewers.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high and cook until tofu/vegetable skewers are golden brown, turning skewers every minute for about 15 minutes.
- In the Air Fryer - preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Place tofu/vegetable skewers on an air fryer tray lined with parchment paper and cook for 20 minutes until golden brown, turning halfway.
- In the oven - Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Add the tofu/vegetable skewers to a prepared baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes.